Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Meeting my Mom at Ataturk....need some arrivals help.

Old Sep 12, 13, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat

My mom and I are going on a cruise with friends. She arrives Ataturk from Amsterdam KLM at 3:45 PM and I arrive Ataturk from London Gatwick on Turkish Air 4:45. Are we arriving the same terminals? Can she wait for me by the luggage belts as I don't want her waiting with her luggage outside in the terminal.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also...Any restaurants also.....We are at the W hotel.

Cheers and Thank you in Advance!

NYC
Old Sep 12, 13, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Welcome in advance to Istanbul. All international flights arrive into the same Terminal at Ataturk Airport. Deplaning passengers pass through immigration control. If you and your Mom have not btained e-visas (suggested) you and she will have to buy the visa "sticker" before going through immigration control. $20 each for the visa; it is well marked. After passing immigration, there are multiple carousels for luggage retrieval. She may wait in this area until your flight arrives, but there is very limited seating in this area and no restaurants or cafes. Alternatively, if she can manage the luggage herself, there are luggage porters to assist, she can wait for you at the Starbucks in the arrival hall, about 50 meters from the customs exit to the right when exiting. Easy in fact. Good luc
Old Sep 12, 13, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Hello OP,

All international travelers arrive at the same terminal.

Your Mom can wait for you in the baggage area. It's pretty large. She can find a place to sit and wait for you.

And then you can exit Customs together.

David

Last edited by DavidHatt; Sep 13, 13 at 3:43 am Reason: I read the OP's post!
Old Sep 13, 13, 2:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K/*G; IHG Platinum; Marriott Platinum

She could even wait for you before immigration.
Old Sep 13, 13, 3:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
... I don't remember any places to sit just before Immigration.
Old Sep 13, 13, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
THANK YOU

THANKS TO ALL.

I was very nervous as we are arriving separately. We have contingency plans, she has the hotel info in case one of us is late. I will meet her in the baggage area.

Best wishes to all!

NYC
Old Sep 13, 13, 12:21 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by DavidHatt View Post
... I don't remember any places to sit just before Immigration.
+1
Old Sep 14, 13, 2:45 pm

Programs: SQ PPS
Perhaps worth noting that not all nationalities need to pay for a visa. Admittedly I have no idea re US passports though.

I'm not sure where one would wait in the baggage hall, but I had to spend 45min waiting for a hotel shuttle recently in int'l arrivals.

Gloria Jean's is to the left in arrivals after going through customs - much more pleasant than the baggage area. And one can't go wrong with Starbucks either (recommendation above).
http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/...ges/Cafes.aspx
Old Sep 14, 13, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by nanyang View Post
Perhaps worth noting that not all nationalities need to pay for a visa. Admittedly I have no idea re US passports though.

I'm not sure where one would wait in the baggage hall, but I had to spend 45min waiting for a hotel shuttle recently in int'l arrivals.

Gloria Jean's is to the left in arrivals after going through customs - much more pleasant than the baggage area. And one can't go wrong with Starbucks either (recommendation above).
http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/...ges/Cafes.aspx
US Passport holders pay $20 (USD). Would apply for electronic visa to avoid the wait before immigration control.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

As I previously stated, I would recommend waiting at the Starbucks which is to the right about 50 meters after exiting customs control/

Last edited by cagcag; Sep 14, 13 at 5:00 pm Reason: Addition
Old Sep 14, 13, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
I did the same with my father and he was coming from DXB and myself from AMM.

I hung around the gate areas and waited to see his plane pull in, waited at his gate and spotted him coming off the plane.
Old Sep 14, 13, 5:56 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
US Passport holders pay $20 (USD). Would apply for electronic visa to avoid the wait before immigration control.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

As I previously stated, I would recommend waiting at the Starbucks which is to the right about 50 meters after exiting customs control/

sometimes there's no vacant seat at starbucks
i wouldn't suggest standing there.
ive always found a seat in from if the hertz rental booth.
Old Sep 14, 13, 9:44 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by jozdemir View Post
I did the same with my father and he was coming from DXB and myself from AMM.

I hung around the gate areas and waited to see his plane pull in, waited at his gate and spotted him coming off the plane.
This is good info, I'm meeting my sister in IST, she's flying from ACC, I'm flying from JFK and our planes land about 5 min apart. I really hope this works out.
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:02 pm

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by dimmedlights View Post
sometimes there's no vacant seat at starbucks
i wouldn't suggest standing there.
ive always found a seat in from if the hertz rental booth.
Given that both of you can get visa stickers for $20, I still recommend hanging around Starbucks. Just walk outside, turn right, and keep going. An alternative spot would be Caffe Nero that's half way there.
Old Sep 20, 13, 12:59 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
Given that both of you can get visa stickers for $20, I still recommend hanging around Starbucks. Just walk outside, turn right, and keep going. An alternative spot would be Caffe Nero that's half way there.
Caffe Nero is the better choice for meeting. It is much easier to spot (Starbucks is tucked back in the corner) and I have never not been able to find seating there. I meet people there all the time. To your right after you exit customs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: