Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Meeting my Mom at Ataturk....need some arrivals help.

Meeting my Mom at Ataturk....need some arrivals help.

Old Sep 12, 13, 10:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New York, NY USA
Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 411
Meeting my Mom at Ataturk....need some arrivals help.

My mom and I are going on a cruise with friends. She arrives Ataturk from Amsterdam KLM at 3:45 PM and I arrive Ataturk from London Gatwick on Turkish Air 4:45. Are we arriving the same terminals? Can she wait for me by the luggage belts as I don't want her waiting with her luggage outside in the terminal.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also...Any restaurants also.....We are at the W hotel.

Cheers and Thank you in Advance!

NYC
NYCtraveler is offline  
Old Sep 12, 13, 11:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Posts: 740
Welcome in advance to Istanbul. All international flights arrive into the same Terminal at Ataturk Airport. Deplaning passengers pass through immigration control. If you and your Mom have not btained e-visas (suggested) you and she will have to buy the visa "sticker" before going through immigration control. $20 each for the visa; it is well marked. After passing immigration, there are multiple carousels for luggage retrieval. She may wait in this area until your flight arrives, but there is very limited seating in this area and no restaurants or cafes. Alternatively, if she can manage the luggage herself, there are luggage porters to assist, she can wait for you at the Starbucks in the arrival hall, about 50 meters from the customs exit to the right when exiting. Easy in fact. Good luc
cagcag is offline  
Old Sep 12, 13, 11:23 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Posts: 588
Hello OP,

All international travelers arrive at the same terminal.

Your Mom can wait for you in the baggage area. It's pretty large. She can find a place to sit and wait for you.

And then you can exit Customs together.


David

Last edited by DavidHatt; Sep 13, 13 at 3:43 am Reason: I read the OP's post!
DavidHatt is offline  
Old Sep 13, 13, 2:43 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: MileagePlus 1K/*G; IHG Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Posts: 277
Meeting my Mom at Ataturk....need some arrivals help.

She could even wait for you before immigration.
PTY1K is offline  
Old Sep 13, 13, 3:44 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: AA, UA, DL,
Posts: 588
... I don't remember any places to sit just before Immigration.
DavidHatt is offline  
Old Sep 13, 13, 4:17 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New York, NY USA
Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 411
THANK YOU

THANKS TO ALL.

I was very nervous as we are arriving separately. We have contingency plans, she has the hotel info in case one of us is late. I will meet her in the baggage area.

Best wishes to all!

NYC
NYCtraveler is offline  
Old Sep 13, 13, 12:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: LT NoN REV
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by DavidHatt View Post
... I don't remember any places to sit just before Immigration.
+1
dimmedlights is offline  
Old Sep 14, 13, 2:45 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ PPS
Posts: 844
Perhaps worth noting that not all nationalities need to pay for a visa. Admittedly I have no idea re US passports though.

I'm not sure where one would wait in the baggage hall, but I had to spend 45min waiting for a hotel shuttle recently in int'l arrivals.

Gloria Jean's is to the left in arrivals after going through customs - much more pleasant than the baggage area. And one can't go wrong with Starbucks either (recommendation above).
http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/...ges/Cafes.aspx
nanyang is offline  
Old Sep 14, 13, 4:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by nanyang View Post
Perhaps worth noting that not all nationalities need to pay for a visa. Admittedly I have no idea re US passports though.

I'm not sure where one would wait in the baggage hall, but I had to spend 45min waiting for a hotel shuttle recently in int'l arrivals.

Gloria Jean's is to the left in arrivals after going through customs - much more pleasant than the baggage area. And one can't go wrong with Starbucks either (recommendation above).
http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/...ges/Cafes.aspx
US Passport holders pay $20 (USD). Would apply for electronic visa to avoid the wait before immigration control.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

As I previously stated, I would recommend waiting at the Starbucks which is to the right about 50 meters after exiting customs control/

Last edited by cagcag; Sep 14, 13 at 5:00 pm Reason: Addition
cagcag is offline  
Old Sep 14, 13, 5:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PER
Programs: BA Gold, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Posts: 775
I did the same with my father and he was coming from DXB and myself from AMM.

I hung around the gate areas and waited to see his plane pull in, waited at his gate and spotted him coming off the plane.
jozdemir is offline  
Old Sep 14, 13, 5:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: LT NoN REV
Posts: 560
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
US Passport holders pay $20 (USD). Would apply for electronic visa to avoid the wait before immigration control.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

As I previously stated, I would recommend waiting at the Starbucks which is to the right about 50 meters after exiting customs control/

sometimes there's no vacant seat at starbucks
i wouldn't suggest standing there.
ive always found a seat in from if the hertz rental booth.
dimmedlights is offline  
Old Sep 14, 13, 9:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: United 1k
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by jozdemir View Post
I did the same with my father and he was coming from DXB and myself from AMM.

I hung around the gate areas and waited to see his plane pull in, waited at his gate and spotted him coming off the plane.
This is good info, I'm meeting my sister in IST, she's flying from ACC, I'm flying from JFK and our planes land about 5 min apart. I really hope this works out.
MK19791980 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 11:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Posts: 2,080
Originally Posted by dimmedlights View Post
sometimes there's no vacant seat at starbucks
i wouldn't suggest standing there.
ive always found a seat in from if the hertz rental booth.
Given that both of you can get visa stickers for $20, I still recommend hanging around Starbucks. Just walk outside, turn right, and keep going. An alternative spot would be Caffe Nero that's half way there.
vincewy is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 12:59 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
Given that both of you can get visa stickers for $20, I still recommend hanging around Starbucks. Just walk outside, turn right, and keep going. An alternative spot would be Caffe Nero that's half way there.
Caffe Nero is the better choice for meeting. It is much easier to spot (Starbucks is tucked back in the corner) and I have never not been able to find seating there. I meet people there all the time. To your right after you exit customs.
siberslava is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: