Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish airline change of ticket given the protests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Hi

I am traveling by Turkish Airlines - stopping over at Istanbul. Given the protests, I would rather go to my destination without stopping over.

Turkish Airlines staff response is that they cannot do anything, and that I need to pay Euro100 per ticket as change fee and change in fare of about as much as my original ticket!

Any suggestions from anybody here to get this airline to recognize that there is an issue - big or large is debatable. And in light of that not to charge fees that they would otherwise charge.

It just feels like I am talking to robots in Turkey. Intelligent but without empathy, or without empowerment to do anything.

Any advise?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
There is really nothing to be concerned about at present, especially if you are just connecting through. The "protests" have taken on more of a festive atmosphere as of late. Since airport operations have not been affected at all I don't foresee Turkish Airlines budging.

Check out this article

http://istanbulgazette.com/no-need-t...ip/2013/06/09/
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:03 am
Original Poster

I have a 4 day stop over to see Istanbul. That is the part which I was hoping Turkish Airlines will let me remove from my trip and change my trip such that I only connect at Istanbul airport.

The airlines will do nothing is their stance. So I need to decide as things develop as to whether to bear the cost of changes or to cancel the ticket without receiving nothing back in turn.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I do not need to worry as of now at least. Just that the trip is in 4 days from now...

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
You really have nothing to worry about (famous last words). Just avoid Taksim after dark and you shouldn't have a problem
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Just relax and enjoy, the whole thing is overblown. In fact, I feel safer in Istanbul than in Rome, Athens, or Madrid. Just avoid Taksim Square if necessary, you can easily spend 4 days around Sultanahmet alone.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the posts. I have heard the same thing from other sources. Plan is on.

If you guys hear something untoward about some planned pro-PM rallies, would be great to hear if you can remember

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.