Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
No, your status miles stay the same. Normally, status miles have no value other than for maintaining your status or progressing to the next level. You will only lose status miles if they expire at the end of your membership years or when you re-qualify for the next period.
Thanks,
So if I understand correctly,

Status miles = allow you to gain and keep status and nothing else
Bonus miles = allow you to book award tickets, get upgrades, etc but have no effect on your status
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by jetsetclicquot
Thanks,
So if I understand correctly,

Status miles = allow you to gain and keep status and nothing else
Bonus miles = allow you to book award tickets, get upgrades, etc but have no effect on your status
Correct!
jetsetclicquot likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: M&S E+, KLM FB
Y or B fare class tickets

Can anyone tell me how to buy Economy Y or B fare class tickets? On the TK website I can select only S,H,M,A,O,Q,E. The choice is only between Promo, Semi-Flexi and Flexi tariffs. Even if I select Flexi the accrued miles are still under S,H,M,A,O,Q,E.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Squalusss
Can anyone tell me how to buy Economy Y or B fare class tickets? On the TK website I can select only S,H,M,A,O,Q,E. The choice is only between Promo, Semi-Flexi and Flexi tariffs. Even if I select Flexi the accrued miles are still under S,H,M,A,O,Q,E.
You could book via the call center.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Squalusss
You can buy on Priceline after searching on https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ while forcing a B or Y class and then pricing it on https://bookwithmatrix.com/.
Squalusss likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:56 pm

One more question: if I flew with Singapore Airlines and THAI, will I only earn bonus miles or both bonus miles and status miles on TK?
Info displayed on website (such as here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ays/index.html ) isn't so clear whether flying partner *A airlines will also give status miles.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by pandalama
One more question: if I flew with Singapore Airlines and THAI, will I only earn bonus miles or both bonus miles and status miles on TK?
Info displayed on website (such as here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...ays/index.html ) isn't so clear whether flying partner *A airlines will also give status miles.

Thanks!
If you're asking if you would earn both status and bonus miles when you fly TG or SQ when crediting to Miles&Smiles; yes, you would earn both status and bonus miles.
Turkish Airlines is a member of Star Alliance and on all eligible Star Alliance flights, you would receive both status and bonus miles on Miles&Smiles.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, FlyDubai
Hi guys! Does anyone know if there are resting areas (I mean places to lie down for a nap) similar to the ones in Doha Airport in the new Istanbul Airport? Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jitaruvictor
Hi guys! Does anyone know if there are resting areas (I mean places to lie down for a nap) similar to the ones in Doha Airport in the new Istanbul Airport? Thanks.
I’m not familiar with Doha, but noticed big circular couches/futons all over IST that people were sleeping on.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: None
I am flying with Turkish Airlines for the first time in June. I will have a 90 minute connection, international to international all on one ticket with bags checked through to Vienna. I am getting really concerned about this connection time. If we run and make the flight, our baggage may not. After arriving in Vienna, we are driving to Czech Republic. What will they do with our luggage? Will we have to come back to Vienna and get it? Will they send it on the next departing flight, a few hours later? We would then wait at the airport in Vienna. If we don't make the flight, will they put us on the next flight? The size of this airport and the comments on long taxiing I am reading are worrisome. Someone posted they had to run 2.5kms to their next gate.....Has anyone used the short connections? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barb111
I am flying with Turkish Airlines for the first time in June. I will have a 90 minute connection, international to international all on one ticket with bags checked through to Vienna. I am getting really concerned about this connection time. If we run and make the flight, our baggage may not. After arriving in Vienna, we are driving to Czech Republic. What will they do with our luggage? Will we have to come back to Vienna and get it? Will they send it on the next departing flight, a few hours later? We would then wait at the airport in Vienna. If we don't make the flight, will they put us on the next flight? The size of this airport and the comments on long taxiing I am reading are worrisome. Someone posted they had to run 2.5kms to their next gate.....Has anyone used the short connections? Thanks in advance.
Your bags would make a 90 minute connection unless there is a delay at the first leg of your flight. You wouldn't need to run to your gate to make your flight. If you don't make the flight you would be automatically rebooked to the next TK flight to VIE even if there would be shorter options with other airlines. A purposeful slow walk to miss your flight, which could be a success at European airports for a free rebooking and EU261/2004, could be a fail at Istanbul. If you land to Istanbul 60 minutes or before the scheduled departure time of your second flight, you would need to make the flight. Also, if you make it for your flight and your bags don't, they would arrive with the next VIE flight and I don't personally know the baggage handling company at VIE so I can't talk about their policies sending bags to the Czech Republic. Also depending on your origin for the first flight, you may not need to clear transfer security at Istanbul Airport.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:18 pm

Thank you so much for such a quick reply. We definitely do want to make the flight and would not purposely miss it. I wish people would post success stories on the internet as all I am reading are the ones stating that they airport is too big, people are having to run, etc. Unfortunately, I am at the age that running is not an option....lol. . I am alo reading that luggage is not making the connection even if people are. We are coming from the US. I would have no problem waiting the few hours in VIE if our luggage came on the next flight.
Maybe I just need to stop reading......
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Barb111
Agree with ISTFlyer, 90 mins is totally fine unless your incoming flight is seriously late. I have made shorter connections. Are you flying business or economy? In case you are flying business, use the fast track lanes where possible.
I see you are based in the US - which US airport are you coming from? Unfortunately, LAX and SFO flights are delayed regularly - but I'd say even with a 30 mins delay, you can make your flight...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:20 pm

Follow up question, I noticed you said if we land 60 minutes before.... If we land 60 minutes before but then taxi for 25 and miss our connections, even if we ran, lol. Would they still put us on the next flight?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways, FlyDubai
Doha has rooms, with couches, a small nightlamp and room separators between the beds. After seeing that, I started judging luxury airports by this standard!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.