The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Hello all!

This probably classifies as a newbie question but I'm having a hard time figure something out :-)

I recently booked TK from SGN to IST (and then onwards to OPO) — in J. According to the calculator on TK's website this would have yield
5,086 standard miles
+
1,780 promotional miles
=
6,866 miles.

I have been credit for the SGN to IST flight but not yet for the IST to OPO one (but didn't get the automated email)... and I'm confused. I got credited 8137 miles. So... this number does not make sense or I'm being dumb as a door.
Not that I'm necessarily complaining, but I'm wondering how they got to it (and if this means I already got factored here my OPO flight miles?).

A couple questions:
  1. What are the promotional miles? Is this for some flights / first flight of the cycle/year only can I count on these for as long as a I fly J ?
  2. Are the promotional miles bonus only or also status?
  3. Ideas on how (what math led to) I got 8137 miles on the above? Alternatively, should I expect this to be an error and for me to soon have 6866 miles added instead?

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Flying J as Elite gets you 60% extra status miles thus 5086+60% gives 8137.
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by tartempion
Flying J as Elite gets you 60% extra status miles thus 5086+60% gives 8137.
Thanks! On all flights right? (not limited to first?)

Any idea what the "promotion miles" are then (that are listed under the calculator)?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:39 am

Complete newbe here. After posting in this forum I decided to go this year M&S in my quest to get *A gold. First flight (SAS plus BRU-ARN) Thursday evening with return Friday evening. When can I expect the miles to show in my TK app? I understand there are considerable IT issues with TK, so just need to understand what is the time line to see miles credit. With M&M, this is a matter of 24-48 hours, but I guess i need to be more patient here? The same question for the hotel stay (Radisson Blu)? Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:09 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by al2813
Complete newbe here. After posting in this forum I decided to go this year M&S in my quest to get *A gold. First flight (SAS plus BRU-ARN) Thursday evening with return Friday evening. When can I expect the miles to show in my TK app? I understand there are considerable IT issues with TK, so just need to understand what is the time line to see miles credit. With M&M, this is a matter of 24-48 hours, but I guess i need to be more patient here? The same question for the hotel stay (Radisson Blu)? Thanks!
2-3 days for flights, hotels may take a tad longer.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Thanks! On all flights right? (not limited to first?)

Any idea what the "promotion miles" are then (that are listed under the calculator)?
Ignore them, it's like a class ( Business in your case ) and tier ( Elite in your case ) bonus. You would earn the Elite amount of the chart in the link for all your Business flights with TK. Just be aware that flying other *A carriers doesn't give the same bonus ( extra for CLPL, ELIT & ELPL ) on M&S. Same for TK domestic flights. Every M&S member gets the same amount of status miles.

You would still earn 1950x1.6 = 3120 status miles for your OPO leg.

The chart is located here.
https://www.turkishairlines.com/tr-t...ari/index.html
ricardojrsousa likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Turkish Airlines Chairman Mr. İlker Aycı had given some information about the movement to the new airport on the Turkish television channel 24.

He had announced the date 22nd of January for the opening of the new TK buildings at ISL and given the date 3rd of March for operations to move.

However, the flights on March 1 & 2 at Atatrk are not cancelled at the moment ( for the movement ) and could be cancelled when the movement date is going to be officially announced by authorities.
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Ignore them, it's like a class ( Business in your case ) and tier ( Elite in your case ) bonus. You would earn the Elite amount of the chart in the link for all your Business flights with TK. Just be aware that flying other *A carriers doesn't give the same bonus ( extra for CLPL, ELIT & ELPL ) on M&S. Same for TK domestic flights. Every M&S member gets the same amount of status miles.

You would still earn 1950x1.6 = 3120 status miles for your OPO leg.

The chart is located here.
https://www.turkishairlines.com/tr-t...ari/index.html

That link is way more clear than the calculator. Got it now. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you pull up a TK portion of a reward ticket issued by Aeroplan?

I got the TK PNR but the website did not recognize it.

The itinerary shows up on TAP site correctly EXCEPT one TK segment from VCE to IST that is missing, although it is correctly show on Aeroplan's ticket receipt.

Can anyone show me the way to check partner booked reservation on TK site? I thought a few years ago when we use United awards we were able to pull up the whole thing on TK site.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
How do you pull up a TK portion of a reward ticket issued by Aeroplan?

I got the TK PNR but the website did not recognize it.

The itinerary shows up on TAP site correctly EXCEPT one TK segment from VCE to IST that is missing, although it is correctly show on Aeroplan's ticket receipt.

Can anyone show me the way to check partner booked reservation on TK site? I thought a few years ago when we use United awards we were able to pull up the whole thing on TK site.
If you have the e-ticket number, enter the etix number to the same place you enter your PNR. If it doesn't work try to open your reservation on checkmytrip; probably you would find the TK reservation code there.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you have the e-ticket number, enter the etix number to the same place you enter your PNR. If it doesn't work try to open your reservation on checkmytrip; probably you would find the TK reservation code there.
Thanks for the suggestion.

At first TK site did not recognize the ticket number either. However several hours after Air Canada issued the tickets TK site was updated. Then after it "dismissed" the PNR, it then had a couple refleshing of screen and finally gave me the screen with the box changed to Ticket Number - then it recognized the eticket number and pulled up the reservation which shows the TK segments are intact.
It took me a while to figure out how to change the seats which AC system had done the pre-assignment. Eventually it worked.

I was also able to use Saudia site with ticket number to pull up the whole itinerary. Several years ago I used Saudia site a lot on United issued tickets to make sure changes were done properly during their transition to CO system. Then Saudia site stopped working. I am so glad now it is working again. It really is a godsend for passengers who need to make sure partner airlines segments are booked correctly.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta
Hi everyone.
I created my M&S account last week. I have been trying to transfer Citi Thank you points to TK and four times the points were returned saying it was due to a "System Error". I have contacted Citi and they say it's a problem on the TK side. Anyone had this issue and know who to contact to get it fixed?
Thank you
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
I was also able to use Saudia site with ticket number to pull up the whole itinerary. Several years ago I used Saudia site a lot on United issued tickets to make sure changes were done properly during their transition to CO system. Then Saudia site stopped working. I am so glad now it is working again. It really is a godsend for passengers who need to make sure partner airlines segments are booked correctly.
UA cancelled their interline agreement with SV, which is why the website doesn't work anymore for 016 tickets. However, no issues with tickets issued by other carriers (e.g. TK, AC).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
If I want to book an award ticket using TK miles on TK metal, including an infant in lap, how is the cost for the infant determined? I've tried looking through various forums and haven't found a clear, definitive answer on this. From a test booking it seemed like I would be charged 10% of the mileage fare and roughly 10% of the taxes and fees, but as that was a test booking and the website clearly stated that I can't book for the infant as part of the initial booking process (I guess I can add an infant to the booking later or call/go to the airport), I'm not confident that what I saw online was actually accurate. Many programs will charge 10% of the adult fare plus taxes and fees, some will charge 10% of the miles plus taxes and fees, and some airlines have completely different rules. Anyway, if any of you know the answer to this please let me know as it would be quite helpful. Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
Sorry to have to ask, but I'm looking to book the inaugural IST - LXR service, in late September, and I've decided to overnight in Istanbul on the 22nd, so as to avoid the risk of missing the morning MAN - IST flight, on 23/09 due to the rush hour traffic through the M61 - M60 - M62 junctions, that has got worse since they introduced the "Smart Motorway"; rush hour actually starts at approximately 06:00 and it can take over 1/5 hours to cover less than 20 miles.

I've booked the Airport Pullman, for a ridiculously low rate, thanks to using some of the Le Club points I've acquired over the years, but I'll need to partake of late check-out.

I've only ever transited airside at IST and need to know if there's a maximum time before your flight departs when they will let you into departures and airside? I know that Egyptian airports, who've had the same sort of security arrangements as are now reported at IST, i.e. scanning before entering the terminal, in addition to the normal scans, and they only permit entry to departures as the check-in desk open for your flight, so I don't want to be stood outside the terminal, like a spare part, waiting to be able to enter.

Additionally, can anyone advise on whether I'll have to collect my luggage and check it in again the next day, even if the flights are booked on a single ticket?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide answers to these questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.