The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:43 pm

Does anyone have any Intel on why TK82 (BOS-IST) was diverted to KEF yesterday. Googling it comes up empty.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
I will transit at IST airport on my RIX-IST(Y) and IST-MNL(C). These flights are on separate tickets.

TK C allows me to bring two bags on board while RIX-IST segment does not.
Do I have to clear immigration at IST airport, if I check my bag at RIX and want to bring all bags into the flight to MNL?

I don't want to enter Turkey just to pick up my baggage, in that case, I need to give up picking and carrying-on.

Last edited by LandMiler; Sep 13, 2018 at 6:46 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LandMiler
Do I have to clear immigration at IST airport, if I check my bag at RIX and want to bring all bags into the flight to MNL?
No, you dont need to do the immigration shuffle at IST IF you can either carry on both bags or check them all the way through to MNL.

I dont know how strict they are at RIX about carry-on limits.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
IF you can either carry on both bags or check them all the way through to MNL.

I dont know how strict they are at RIX about carry-on limits.
Thank you for your comment.
Yes, that's the point I worry about.

I need to talk CI agent in RIX about thru check-in and carry-on baggage.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:05 am

Yes. AFAIK, there is no way to retrieve a bag at IST without going through immigration, even if you're only in transit.

Shuly
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by shuly
Yes. AFAIK, there is no way to retrieve a bag at IST without going through immigration, even if you're only in transit.

Shuly
Thanx Shuly.

I will negotiate at RIX. maybe check my baggaage thru MNL.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:53 pm

Thanx Shuly.

I will negotiate at RIX. maybe check my baggaage thru MNL.
CI agent made thru check-in and put priority tag though he said tld me "I'm confusing. You have economy and business mix. I don't know I can out priority tag. "
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
As this is the newbie zone, I won't get flamed here for asking!

Never flown TK, but watched their rise, and as the result of GA pulling out of LHR I have the opportunity with work to fly with them - or any airline of my choice - (would be LGW/LHR-CGK & SIN or KUL-LON) - would be economy, but as a taller person would love to know

- Should I actively choose the widebodies from LHR over LGW to IST
- Should I choose the 777-300 to SIN over the A330 to KUL (or vice versa)
- Can I prebook/pay for emer exits, or as a 2 metre human, get friendly support when trying to check in (EK/SQ are excellent at giving me emergency exits at LHR)
- I can pick most any airlines, but like to try new airlines to me. Normally i'd stick to SQ / QR but I have freedom so happy to try someone new as may be my future airline of choice! as long as i'm entertained, fed and wined, and can avoid middle seats i'm happy. Am I most likely to get most of these things I won't ask about the new airport for transit.*

*edit - i will ask about the new airport as it would be mid November. I assume i'm fairly guaranteed that TK won't be running split operations between new / old airport - last thing i'd want is a transit in Istanbul between airports?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:52 am

It looks like I will be flying in and out of Attaturk for my December flights.

Which side of the plane should I be sitting to get a good view of the city and the Blue Mosque? TIA
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:12 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
It looks like I will be flying in and out of Attaturk for my December flights.

Which side of the plane should I be sitting to get a good view of the city and the Blue Mosque? TIA
Impossible to say as it depends whether you will fly from the old or new airport and which runway might be used (depending on wind direction).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Newbie questions, thanks in advance for the help! Flying JFK-IST-MLA and back.

Wanted to confirm I do not need to get an e-Visa as a US citizen since I am only connecting through IST.

Also wanted to confirm at JFK T1 I can use the Lufthansa Business Class lounge instead of the Korean Air Lounge since I am confirmed in paid Business Class. No Star Alliance status here only OWE. Lufthansa's lounge sounds so much better.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 27, 2018 at 6:56 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wanted to confirm I do not need to get an e-Visa as a US citizen since I am only connecting through IST.
You can transfer at IST without entering Turkey; no visa is required.

Shuly
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:23 pm

TK number

how can i find my TK number?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:38 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by homayoon_tav
how can i find my TK number?
Welcome to Flyertalk. I'm not sure what you mean, your Miles&Smiles number? When you signed up you should have received this. This thread might help: How to find my TK membership number?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
As this is the newbie zone, I won't get flamed here for asking!

Never flown TK, but watched their rise, and as the result of GA pulling out of LHR I have the opportunity with work to fly with them - or any airline of my choice - (would be LGW/LHR-CGK & SIN or KUL-LON) - would be economy, but as a taller person would love to know

- Should I actively choose the widebodies from LHR over LGW to IST
- Should I choose the 777-300 to SIN over the A330 to KUL (or vice versa)
- Can I prebook/pay for emer exits, or as a 2 metre human, get friendly support when trying to check in (EK/SQ are excellent at giving me emergency exits at LHR)
- I can pick most any airlines, but like to try new airlines to me. Normally i'd stick to SQ / QR but I have freedom so happy to try someone new as may be my future airline of choice! as long as i'm entertained, fed and wined, and can avoid middle seats i'm happy. Am I most likely to get most of these things I won't ask about the new airport for transit.*

*edit - i will ask about the new airport as it would be mid November. I assume i'm fairly guaranteed that TK won't be running split operations between new / old airport - last thing i'd want is a transit in Istanbul between airports?

Pick the A330, the 2-4-2 seat configuration is better than the 3-3-3 on the 77W for the long haul segments. However, this does not really matter if you normally pick isle seats. Both the A321 and the 737 are pretty good for the short haul segments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.