Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:21 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
What you encountered is a mix between normal security checks and airline mandated passport checks. Gate checks and airline queue checks are designed to make sure pax have the correct passport and visa where applicable. The airlines want to make sure they don't have to pay huge fines if they fly pax without required documentation. This is especially true for flights from non EU countries (such as Turkey) to the EU and the US.

IST's security check when entering the terminal is somewhat unique for a large hub and adds another layer.

Originally Posted by spd476
I don't have a TK question, but I figured this might be the best place to ask. I was leaving IST last week and was confused by the number of security checks at the airport. It seemed excessive and it sounds like it could have been worse, especially if I was going directly to the US.

I had heard about the initial checkpoint just to get into the airport. Then an airport worker checked my passport just to get in line at the LH counter. He put a sticker on the passport. After going through passport control, i found my gate which was being used for a TK flight. After that flight left, another airport worker kicked everyone out of the gate area, made us line up, and checked our passports and boarding passes again. This was for a LH flight to MUC.

Was there a point to all of this? Is it unique to IST? I've only been to Europe a couple of times and never seen anything like this. It seemed strange and pointless.

Another strange thing was that nobody ever asked to see my visa, other than the Swiss airline counter agent at ORD. I purchased it online. I don't remember anyone scanning my passport though. I thought he just stamped it entering the airport, but I was tired so I could be wrong.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
does TK offer bonus mile earning for J on SQ, a la LH and TAP? When I go to the TK Partners page and click on SQ, it leads to a broken link.

EDIT: The Aussie version of the link is alive. It says 150% on J.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: TK Elite
How much does an Austrian Red ticket earn me in terms of miles on my TK program? Is it only 25%
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:41 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
How much does an Austrian Red ticket earn me in terms of miles on my TK program? Is it only 25%
What fare class does this book into?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:45 am

Hi thanks for your response, according to OS's website the fare class would be K.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Hi thanks for your response, according to OS's website the fare class would be K.
K class on OS earns zero miles with Miles&Smiles I'm afraid
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:41 am

Thanks for the above.

I have another question, I credited some miles on A3 a few months ago after flying TK and I am regretting it, is there anyway I could ask A3 to remove those miles and get them credited on TK?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Thanks for the above.

I have another question, I credited some miles on A3 a few months ago after flying TK and I am regretting it, is there anyway I could ask A3 to remove those miles and get them credited on TK?
No. Once credited, it cannot be changed to another program.
You should focus on accumulating A3 then, or else those miles will be wasted.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:56 am

Thanks. Yes you are right, however I have 2 to 3 ULH upcoming flights with TK, the mileage accrued would give me Elite status and not far from Elite + had I not credited 12,000 miles to A3 :/
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:14 am

Just focus on A3, same crap, different program. Dealing with TK is not easy, unless you speak Turkish. Too many horror stories to tell, just scroll through the forum.
At least with A3, they have English speaking agents, and A3 gold is way easier to maintain.
With gold status, you get all the perks anyways. Upgrades are only available if seats are available anyways, which more times than not, they are not available.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:18 am

Well, does A3 provide 2 complimentary upgrades for Gold members like TK does? Is the status valid for 2 years just like TK? Sorry newbie questions, just educating myself
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by iamaho
Just focus on A3, same crap, different program. Dealing with TK is not easy, unless you speak Turkish. Too many horror stories to tell, just scroll through the forum.
At least with A3, they have English speaking agents, and A3 gold is way easier to maintain.
With gold status, you get all the perks anyways. Upgrades are only available if seats are available anyways, which more times than not, they are not available.
There are no benefits speakıng turkish wıth tk.
I stıll get the same treatment and results as ı were to communıcate ın englısh.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by dimmedlights
There are no benefits speakıng turkish wıth tk.
I stıll get the same treatment and results as ı were to communıcate ın englısh.
Usually I am able to understand them when I speak English just fine, the problem is the line is usually very bad.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:46 am

Well, does A3 provide 2 complimentary upgrades for Gold members like TK does? Is the status valid for 2 years just like TK? Sorry newbie questions, just educating myself
Complimentary upgrade are space dependent. So if there isn't any space in business class. You aren't getting the upgrade. And it is only available to Elite plus members.

Status for A3 gold is valid for 3 years. With minimal upkeep.
Status for TK gold is valid for 2 years. With mileage upkeep requirements.

Simple google searches of the programs and reading their T&C will provide you with all the answers if you wish to educate yourself.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
C'mon you are asking for too much! Life long *Gold status for nothing, and you still expect upgrade vouchers… No TK don't provide upgrade vouchers for the regular Elite (lowest Star Gold level), only Elite Plus get the vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.