The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Old May 3, 21, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
If there is nothing complicated in your ticket such as schedule changes, cancellations, lap infants, additional seats, etc... fully flexible tickets should be refundable through the TK website/app.
Nothing complicated, just a straightforward one way ticket that is meant to be cancelled a couple of days before. Would you happen to know how long would it take for the refund to be processed? Is it the usual ~7 days?
Old May 3, 21, 12:05 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Deckter View Post
Nothing complicated, just a straightforward one way ticket that is meant to be cancelled a couple of days before. Would you happen to know how long would it take for the refund to be processed? Is it the usual ~7 days?
It usually takes 5-10 business days.
Old May 3, 21, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Great, thank you very much!
Old May 3, 21, 12:20 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by Deckter View Post
Great, thank you very much!
You're welcome
Old May 12, 21, 1:36 pm

I have a few questions on the involuntary cancellation of TK tickets & SHGM claim
1) does the regulation cover award flights I bought with miles?
2) is the following link the latest version of the SHGM regulation about involuntary cancellation? I saw it on the website of IST and SAW airport. http://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf
3) Is there a time limit for claiming for the past cancelled flights? (6 months, 1 year, etc?)
4) What is the best approach to make a claim for the compensation if I will be having a long transit at Istanbul airport? Does it typically goes to the SHGM claim phase?
5) If my flight is IST-TAS on business class, is it reasonable to request TK to get me on to Uzbekistan Airways business class if that itinerary is faster than the TK's alternative itinerary based on SHGM rule 9.1.b (provide the route change to the final destination at the earliest opportunity under the similar transportation conditions)? What would be the best way to request this?

Thanks a lot!
Old May 12, 21, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jason1991 View Post
I have a few questions on the involuntary cancellation of TK tickets & SHGM claim
1) does the regulation cover award flights I bought with miles?
2) is the following link the latest version of the SHGM regulation about involuntary cancellation? I saw it on the website of IST and SAW airport. http://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf
3) Is there a time limit for claiming for the past cancelled flights? (6 months, 1 year, etc?)
4) What is the best approach to make a claim for the compensation if I will be having a long transit at Istanbul airport? Does it typically goes to the SHGM claim phase?
5) If my flight is IST-TAS on business class, is it reasonable to request TK to get me on to Uzbekistan Airways business class if that itinerary is faster than the TK's alternative itinerary based on SHGM rule 9.1.b (provide the route change to the final destination at the earliest opportunity under the similar transportation conditions)? What would be the best way to request this?

Thanks a lot!
What happened exactly?
Old May 12, 21, 2:21 pm

What happened exactly?
Two of my award flights bookings were cancelled by TK recently.
The first one was BOS-IST originally going to fly on 12/4/20. I was notified by TK on 11/26 that the original flight was cancelled and they automatically put me on the next available flight 12/6/20. I declined and received the miles and fee refund as the itinerary doesn't work for me.
The second one is IST-TAS this Sunday. I was notified yesterday that the flight is cancelled. The original flight leaves IST at 1am and arrives at 7am. The next TK flight leaves IST at 6:45pm and arrives in the middle of night at 1am. The Uzbekistan Airways flight leaves IST at 12:30pm and arrives at TAS at 7pm.

I am thinking what kind of compensation (if any) I could get for the first involuntary cancellation, and what is the best way to rearrange the flight on Sunday as it really messed up my plan, and at least make the disruption not so painful (as to arrive at 1am in the middle of night)
Old May 12, 21, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Do I need a COVID test to board IAD-IST?
The web site is confusing, everywhere it says to fly to Turkey I need one. I am traveling there and connecting air-side to another country, not entering Turkey.
Old May 12, 21, 2:48 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by fjord View Post
The web site is confusing, everywhere it says to fly to Turkey I need one. I am traveling there and connecting air-side to another country, not entering Turkey.
If you make an airside transit at IST and your destination country does not require the test, then you will not need it. I've done this a few times. They check the regulations from the IATA database, so make sure IATA and you are on the same terms.
fjord likes this.
Old May 12, 21, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by fjord View Post
If you are connecting airside to another country, you would need to meet the entry requirements of your final destination.
Turkey does not have a testing requirement for transfer passengers.

Two of my award flights bookings were cancelled by TK recently.
The first one was BOS-IST originally going to fly on 12/4/20. I was notified by TK on 11/26 that the original flight was cancelled and they automatically put me on the next available flight 12/6/20. I declined and received the miles and fee refund as the itinerary doesn't work for me.
The second one is IST-TAS this Sunday. I was notified yesterday that the flight is cancelled. The original flight leaves IST at 1am and arrives at 7am. The next TK flight leaves IST at 6:45pm and arrives in the middle of night at 1am. The Uzbekistan Airways flight leaves IST at 12:30pm and arrives at TAS at 7pm.

I am thinking what kind of compensation (if any) I could get for the first involuntary cancellation, and what is the best way to rearrange the flight on Sunday as it really messed up my plan, and at least make the disruption not so painful (as to arrive at 1am in the middle of night)
No compensation for the first involuntary cancellation as you have been notified at least 15 days before departure. You have opted for the refund option and TK has provided it to you.

For the second flight, which is a last minute change, you could go visit a TK sales office in person and asked to be rebooked on Uzbekistan Airlines. The call center might not help you. However, still if you are denied, no compensation would be due as Uzbekistan has put a restriction on flights arriving from Turkey which is beyond TK's control. Although, if you have written evidence that TK is refusing you to rebook on HY, you could open a claim, purchase a HY ticket and file a SHGM claim.

I hope that you haven't confirmed any changes on the TK website or through the phone. If you did confirm by mistake, it means that you acknowledged the change and you were OK with it.

So for your questions before
1- It does cover award tickets
2- I am not sure
3- I am not sure
4- First deal with the airline and if you don't get a successful answer, then proceed to SHGM; SHGM is automatically denying claims if you haven't contacted the airline before.
5- Yes, as I mentioned, go to a sales office or an airport ticketing desk in person if possible
fjord, DaveS and jason1991 like this.
Old May 12, 21, 10:04 pm

If you are connecting airside to another country, you would need to meet the entry requirements of your final destination.
Turkey does not have a testing requirement for transfer passengers.

No compensation for the first involuntary cancellation as you have been notified at least 15 days before departure. You have opted for the refund option and TK has provided it to you.

For the second flight, which is a last minute change, you could go visit a TK sales office in person and asked to be rebooked on Uzbekistan Airlines. The call center might not help you. However, still if you are denied, no compensation would be due as Uzbekistan has put a restriction on flights arriving from Turkey which is beyond TK's control. Although, if you have written evidence that TK is refusing you to rebook on HY, you could open a claim, purchase a HY ticket and file a SHGM claim.

I hope that you haven't confirmed any changes on the TK website or through the phone. If you did confirm by mistake, it means that you acknowledged the change and you were OK with it.

So for your questions before
1- It does cover award tickets
2- I am not sure
3- I am not sure
4- First deal with the airline and if you don't get a successful answer, then proceed to SHGM; SHGM is automatically denying claims if you haven't contacted the airline before.
5- Yes, as I mentioned, go to a sales office or an airport ticketing desk in person if possible
thanks, that is very helpful! For the first one, I think it is only 8 days between 11/26 notification and 12/4 scheduled flight date. Maybe that changes the situation?
Old May 12, 21, 10:10 pm

thanks, that is very helpful! For the first one, I think it is only 8 days between 11/26 notification and 12/4 scheduled flight date. Maybe that changes the situation?
Oops, sorry for the confusion. I am used to the DD/MM/YYYY format so apologize my mistake.
For the first flight, you were able to get a free rebooking or refund. As you have opted for the full refund option, you are out of luck. If you have seeked for a rebooking and TK denied, then you would have been eligible for compensation, thus TK would have definitely found an extraordinary circumstance to not pay any compensation. So in that case, they would only have the duty of care which is not applicable for your case as you have asked for a full refund and got it.
Old May 12, 21, 11:57 pm

Oops, sorry for the confusion. I am used to the DD/MM/YYYY format so apologize my mistake.
For the first flight, you were able to get a free rebooking or refund. As you have opted for the full refund option, you are out of luck. If you have seeked for a rebooking and TK denied, then you would have been eligible for compensation, thus TK would have definitely found an extraordinary circumstance to not pay any compensation. So in that case, they would only have the duty of care which is not applicable for your case as you have asked for a full refund and got it.
Got it, thank you for the very helpful answers, so the SHGM-related compensation only happens when I don't ask for refund & rebooking request denied? I could only read the English version and had the impression (maybe it's faulty translation) that compensation takes place whenever there is a cancellation within 2 weeks when the airline didn't present me an option that allowed me to travel largely within the same timeframe. Their proposal was to move me to December 6th from my December 4th flight so I denied it and asked for refund.
Old May 13, 21, 12:15 am

Got it, thank you for the very helpful answers, so the SHGM-related compensation only happens when I don't ask for refund & rebooking request denied? I could only read the English version and had the impression (maybe it's faulty translation) that compensation takes place whenever there is a cancellation within 2 weeks when the airline didn't present me an option that allowed me to travel largely within the same timeframe. Their proposal was to move me to December 6th from my December 4th flight so I denied it and asked for refund.
TK might offer you different alternatives at the first stage ( in your case the offer to be rebooked on 4 Dec ). It's you who needed to push and ask an alternative rebooking on 6 Dec. I guess that you weren't satisfied with the 4 Dec proposal thus you straight went for the refund.

SHGM compensation occurs when the airline cancels your ticket or when they refuse to rebook you accordingly. In your case, it looks like you have personally requested the refund but the airline didn't force it.

Also, as I mentioned before, TK might easily find a "force majeure" excuse such as some COVID-19 restrictions and get rid of the compensation so you were out of luck for the monetary compensation, thus if you have pushed a bit, TK would have rerouted you IST-XXX-BOS presumably XXX being a US airport the same day.
Old May 13, 21, 12:42 am

TK might offer you different alternatives at the first stage ( in your case the offer to be rebooked on 4 Dec ). It's you who needed to push and ask an alternative rebooking on 6 Dec. I guess that you weren't satisfied with the 4 Dec proposal thus you straight went for the refund.

SHGM compensation occurs when the airline cancels your ticket or when they refuse to rebook you accordingly. In your case, it looks like you have personally requested the refund but the airline didn't force it.

Also, as I mentioned before, TK might easily find a "force majeure" excuse such as some COVID-19 restrictions and get rid of the compensation so you were out of luck for the monetary compensation, thus if you have pushed a bit, TK would have rerouted you IST-XXX-BOS presumably XXX being a US airport the same day.
I see, this is definitely a complicated rule, and thank you so much for spending time explaining all the details. That makes me a smarter traveler going forward

Search this Thread
Search Engine: