Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Barb111
Follow up question, I noticed you said if we land 60 minutes before.... If we land 60 minutes before but then taxi for 25 and miss our connections, even if we ran, lol. Would they still put us on the next flight?
Can not give a definitive answer. Previous experiences stated that some passengers are forced to buy a new ticket and some reported that they have been rebooked to the next flight.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Thank you so much for such a quick reply. We definitely do want to make the flight and would not purposely miss it. I wish people would post success stories on the internet as all I am reading are the ones stating that they airport is too big, people are having to run, etc. Unfortunately, I am at the age that running is not an option....lol. . I am alo reading that luggage is not making the connection even if people are. We are coming from the US. I would have no problem waiting the few hours in VIE if our luggage came on the next flight.
Maybe I just need to stop reading......
I understand your concern, especially since you are flying TK for the first time. But there is no need to worry, I transit through IST regularly and never had a missed connection, even on shorter transfer times.
If your connection time drops to 75 minutes, you can use the "short connection transfer points" at the end of each pier. It's essentially a mini transfer security and they might drive you to your next gate - see this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30996846-post22.html
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jitaruvictor
Doha has rooms, with couches, a small nightlamp and room separators between the beds. After seeing that, I started judging luxury airports by this standard!
In Istanbul Airport, there are no special sleeping rooms for Economy pax but some pax from undeveloped counties which are uneducated, sleep on the couches were passengers are expected to sit normally by blocking space where 4-5 people could sit. These couches are at the duty free area.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
I understand your concern, especially since you are flying TK for the first time. But there is no need to worry, I transit through IST regularly and never had a missed connection, even on shorter transfer times.
If your connection time drops to 75 minutes, you can use the "short connection transfer points" at the end of each pier. It's essentially a mini transfer security and they might drive you to your next gate - see this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30996846-post22.html
The OP arrives from the USA so he won't need to pass transfer security.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: None
I am coming from BOS. I had this picture of people running through the airport like in Mission Impossible movies. I have been watching FlightAware. Departures vary from on time to 15-20 minutes late. But I also notice that they depart on time and arrive 30 minutes late.... Does this airline have a certain terminal they use more that others, like arrivals are always a C gate, etc? On the IST website, gates are always listed for departures but not arrivals.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The OP arrives from the USA so he won't need to pass transfer security.
True, but there must be some benefit from the "short connection point" also for passengers who wouldn't have to clear security...
Would be interesting to know if they drive passengers to their next gate if the connection is tight.. why else would they put these short connection points at the end of the piers if you anyway have to walk all the way to the main terminal?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:34 pm

Oh and we are flying Economy, row 10.
SFO, so the short connection transfer points are at the ends, so head the opposite way from the central area?
good to know.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:37 pm

Oh and we are flying Economy, row 10.
SFO, so the short connection transfer points are at the ends, so head the opposite way from the central area?
good to know.
That is correct. But as ISTFlyer correctly pointed out, nobody knows at this point what these short connection points really offer. If it is just a mini transfer security, then it might not be worthwhile for you to go there (since passengers from the US do not have to go through transfer security). However, the video they play before landing says that you can use the short transfer points if the connection is <75 mins - so I would imagine that there is more to it then just a mini transfer security. Depending on when you fly, I'd keep watching this forum, maybe somebody will report back about their experience at the short connection point.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:39 pm

Thank you!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this airline have a certain terminal they use more that others, like arrivals are always a C gate, etc? On the IST website, gates are always listed for departures but not arrivals.
Like most European airports, gates are randomly assigned regardless of airline. There is no pattern.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
After arriving in Vienna, we are driving to Czech Republic. What will they do with our luggage? Will we have to come back to Vienna and get it? ...
You will not have to take your bags from Vienna. You will make your claim at VIE and they will send your bags to your new destination.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:55 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
In Istanbul Airport, there are no special sleeping rooms for Economy pax but some pax from undeveloped counties which are uneducated, sleep on the couches were passengers are expected to sit normally by blocking space where 4-5 people could sit. These couches are at the duty free area.
Underdeveloped like the US? I certainly remember last time I was at Ataturk a group of Americans and other western countries sleeping on the couches. This has nothing to do with countries pax are from but everything to do with manners. Frankly I find statements like this somewhat offensive.
flyerby likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:49 am

Can not give a definitive answer. Previous experiences stated that some passengers are forced to buy a new ticket and some reported that they have been rebooked to the next flight.
Wait, what? If our connection is missed due to long taxi to a gate, we could have to buy a new ticket?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, what? If our connection is missed due to long taxi to a gate, we could have to buy a new ticket?
Not always but some reviews on SkyTrax indicate this. Even for Atatürk Airport. I won't trust them %100 personally but have that option in your mind.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by jitaruvictor
Doha has rooms, with couches, a small nightlamp and room separators between the beds. After seeing that, I started judging luxury airports by this standard!
Al Mourjan business lounge reserved for QR passengers flying C, other lounges for non QR bizpax and OW status holders Y pas.
Food choices at AM sub-par (no open fires allowed in the airport) except the nice sandwich bar. Behind that bar are decent sleeping “rooms”, although these are not rooms, similar to IST sleeping areas with curtains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.