Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Is it safe to assume that TK will through-check a bag on separate tickets onto another Star Alliance carrier?

Specifically, it is BJV-IST on TK and then IST-ATH on A3.

I had to book separate tickets as there is no J on my IST-ATH flight and it did not let me book the two flights on a single ticket when I chose J on BJV-IST.

It won't be terrible if they don't, as I have a generous amount of time to pick up the bags and re-check, but it would obviously be easier if they do check my bag through (the baggage will be within allowance for both flights).
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:17 am

1st time booking Business class using Ex Eu method

Hi

I'm just about to make my first ever Business class booking (Ex Eu) on Turkish going from Amsterdam to BKK and I really wanted to know if 4 hours from my scheduled arrival time from London to Amsterdam before the Departure time of my AMS - IST flight was enough? The LGW - AMS is with BA.

Essentially arrive at AMS 1400, depart 1805. Is that cutting it too fine?
Thanks
Kelv
Old Oct 6, 2018, 4:52 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Kelvin Webb
Hi

I'm just about to make my first ever Business class booking (Ex Eu) on Turkish going from Amsterdam to BKK and I really wanted to know if 4 hours from my scheduled arrival time from London to Amsterdam before the Departure time of my AMS - IST flight was enough? The LGW - AMS is with BA.

Essentially arrive at AMS 1400, depart 1805. Is that cutting it too fine?
Thanks
Kelv
Welcome to FT ^

That sounds enough time but keep in mind that if there are any significant delays of your BA flight you are on your own.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:03 am

Oo! Just been loking at some reviews of Turkish Business class and it's probably not as smart as I expected. If that's the case should I just opt for Egypt air as their Business Class is much cheaper? Anyone have a comparison?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:37 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Kelvin Webb
Oo! Just been loking at some reviews of Turkish Business class and it's probably not as smart as I expected. If that's the case should I just opt for Egypt air as their Business Class is much cheaper? Anyone have a comparison?
Egypt Air is much more inferior compared to Turkish Airlines. Also, if that matters to you, it is a dry airline. No alcohol.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:20 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
How does booking award tickets for someone else work?
I found 2 J awards all on TK that I want to book for the parents. I can transfer the points from Citi it seems and it being all TK metal, I don't need to go to a office to process it (as far as I follow).
Is it a simple process to book for someone else? I don't want to transfer the points and then there isn't any space.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Plat, BA Gold, SPG Plat, HHo Gold
Hello,
I have a few questions to all those M&S experts out here.
  1. Did I understand correctly, that all Miles are Status Miles, as long as they are obtained from a flight? So there aren't any airliens not qualifying for status miles, as long as they are an airlines partner -- correct?
  2. Are they any advantages in mileage accrual for elite tier members (classic+ elite, elite+) other than the additional 25% on International, TK-operated business class flights?
  3. Tier qualitifcation: The website states that you need to accrue 80.000 in the last 12 months to upgrade to Elite+ from Elite. Does that mean, that you cannot qualify to e.g. Elite+ in a year and that you have upgrade step by step to classic+, than earliest 12 months later to elite and than another 12 months later to Elite+?
Thanks, folks!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Jan@BRU
Hello,
I have a few questions to all those M&S experts out here.
  1. Did I understand correctly, that all Miles are Status Miles, as long as they are obtained from a flight? So there aren't any airliens not qualifying for status miles, as long as they are an airlines partner -- correct?
  2. Are they any advantages in mileage accrual for elite tier members (classic+ elite, elite+) other than the additional 25% on International, TK-operated business class flights?
  3. Tier qualitifcation: The website states that you need to accrue 80.000 in the last 12 months to upgrade to Elite+ from Elite. Does that mean, that you cannot qualify to e.g. Elite+ in a year and that you have upgrade step by step to classic+, than earliest 12 months later to elite and than another 12 months later to Elite+?
Thanks, folks!
  1. Yes, although certain booking classes may give you only a percentage of miles, sometimes down to 0% wheretocredit.com is pretty accurate in my experience.
  2. Classic Plus and up can receive up to 75% extra on certain business tickets. These count towards status.
  3. The last 12 months are the key, there is no reset to zero once you hit a threshold. If you took a hypothetical 80k mile flight, you’d be E+ in one go.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Plat, BA Gold, SPG Plat, HHo Gold
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
  1. Yes, although certain booking classes may give you only a percentage of miles, sometimes down to 0% wheretocredit.com is pretty accurate in my experience.
  2. Classic Plus and up can receive up to 75% extra on certain business tickets. These count towards status.
  3. The last 12 months are the key, there is no reset to zero once you hit a threshold. If you took a hypothetical 80k mile flight, you’d be E+ in one go.
Thanks gr8priate!
Just for my better understanding, still:
  1. I'm aware of wheretocredit.com, but found it to be pretty unhelpful in the more complicated cases. For starters, they don't differentiate between "redeemable" and "status" currency (miles) of the programs. Hence by the way the reason for my asking on this. I take it that there is no difference between Miles and Status Miles (for flights) and all flights also accrue the same amount of Miles and Status Miles (unless the earnings ratio is 0% of course). -- Many other programs do exclude certain operating airlines from earning elite status miles. hence the question.
  2. Can you direct me where this 75% bonus is documented and to which business class flights (routes? booking classes? seasons? other circumstances?) it applies. The only bonus I can see on the website are the increase from 150% to 175% and 135% to 160% for international flights in booking classes CD and ZKJ, respectively.
  3. OK: that's good news. Honestly, the website isn't accurate there, tough. Another twist of that question is: I suppose the status miles need to be accumulated in a fixed 12-month period (anniversary of joingin, anniversary of upgrading), or will any rolling 12-month period be considered? Let's say you dont fly in the first 11 month of your requalification period, but than clock 40' and 40'/month in month 12 and 13. Will they consider months 1-12 (for a total of 40') or months 2-13 (for a total of 80').

Cheers
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Jan@BRU
Thanks gr8priate!
Just for my better understanding, still:
  1. I'm aware of wheretocredit.com, but found it to be pretty unhelpful in the more complicated cases. For starters, they don't differentiate between "redeemable" and "status" currency (miles) of the programs. Hence by the way the reason for my asking on this. I take it that there is no difference between Miles and Status Miles (for flights) and all flights also accrue the same amount of Miles and Status Miles (unless the earnings ratio is 0% of course). -- Many other programs do exclude certain operating airlines from earning elite status miles. hence the question.
  2. Can you direct me where this 75% bonus is documented and to which business class flights (routes? booking classes? seasons? other circumstances?) it applies. The only bonus I can see on the website are the increase from 150% to 175% and 135% to 160% for international flights in booking classes CD and ZKJ, respectively.
  3. OK: that's good news. Honestly, the website isn't accurate there, tough. Another twist of that question is: I suppose the status miles need to be accumulated in a fixed 12-month period (anniversary of joingin, anniversary of upgrading), or will any rolling 12-month period be considered? Let's say you dont fly in the first 11 month of your requalification period, but than clock 40' and 40'/month in month 12 and 13. Will they consider months 1-12 (for a total of 40') or months 2-13 (for a total of 80').

Cheers
  1. all flights you earn miles with count towards status
  2. The only bonus I can see on the website are the increase from 150% to 175% and 135% to 160% for international flights in booking classes CD and ZKJ, respectively.
    That’s it.
  3. any successive/rolling 12 month period is considered for moving your status upwards
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:02 pm

To become E+ you need 80k in any 12 consecutive months, right? Or you need to reach E first (40k) and then more 80k to get E+, total of 120k in one year?

Status match didn´t clear, gonna have to start from scratch next year
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:47 pm

Am guessing a Grüezi is in order given your FT handle!

Originally Posted by Glarus
To become E+ you need 80k in any 12 consecutive months, right?
That’s correct.

Or you need to reach E first (40k) and then more 80k to get E+, total of 120k in one year?
No.

Glarus likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Glarus
To become E+ you need 80k in any 12 consecutive months, right? Or you need to reach E first (40k) and then more 80k to get E+, total of 120k in one year?

Status match didn´t clear, gonna have to start from scratch next year
You do not need to reach 40k+80k, just 80k during the last 12 consecutive months in your first membership year to become E+. When you reach 40k you get Elite status and more 40k gives you Elite+. I reached it during the first 12 months of my membership year(24 months).
Glarus likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:41 pm
crr

I had a question about the earning on bonus miles on TK metal. I recently flew rt from IAD-IST on a Q fare.
When I purchased it on Turkish's site I saw the mileage earning information on the right that said:
✔ 5233 Status Miles
✔ 5233 Bonus Miles
I took this to mean that I'd earn 5233 status miles in addition to 5233 bonus miles each direction but after completing the flights I was only credited the status miles. Was I mistaken in my assumption here or should I also be earning the bonus miles? I submitted a website form a week ago and never heard back and wanted to check here before calling.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by crr
I had a question about the earning on bonus miles on TK metal. I recently flew rt from IAD-IST on a Q fare.
When I purchased it on Turkish's site I saw the mileage earning information on the right that said:
✔ 5233 Status Miles
✔ 5233 Bonus Miles
I took this to mean that I'd earn 5233 status miles in addition to 5233 bonus miles each direction but after completing the flights I was only credited the status miles. Was I mistaken in my assumption here or should I also be earning the bonus miles? I submitted a website form a week ago and never heard back and wanted to check here before calling.
Status miles for your flights only, sorry. I’ve noticed bonus AND status miles mentioned in ticket confirmations, but have no idea why.

Status miles are from flights and bonus miles are from credit cards, hotel stays, etc.
Bonus miles don’t count towards status qualification/renewal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.