Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:10 am

Hi all. I'm flying two RTs to IST from JFK this year in J (May and Sept if that matters).

I don't really want to credit the flights to UA because I don't really fly UA much, and actively try to avoid it w/in US.

Does anyone here have thoughts on the best program to credit the flights. Goals would be to make best use of the earned points for business/first flights, and get status on Star Alliance, if possible.

Also, I use Amex for everything so all my points that aren't in airline programs are stored there.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited by ibmman69; Feb 27, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by ibmman69
Hi all. I'm flying two RTs to IST from JFK this year in J (May and Sept if that matters).
I don't really want to credit the flights to UA because I don't really fly UA much, and actively try to avoid it w/in US.
Does anyone here have thoughts on the best program to credit the flights. Goals would be to make best use of the earned points for business/first flights, and get status on Star Alliance, if possible.
Also, I use Amex for everything so all my points that aren't in airline programs are stored there.
It depends a lot on your flying habits so elaborate more to get a recommendation.

Nevertheless, TK, A3 & OZ are the easiest program to get/maintain status.

To to see where to credit take a look at Where to Credit Calculator
When you reach *S (25K) at TK you get an extra 15% for J.

And if it’s not about status just for mileage earning with a credit card then I would also look at UA, SQ & NH.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby

It depends a lot on your flying habits so elaborate more to get a recommendation.

Nevertheless, TK, A3 & OZ are the easiest program to get/maintain status.

To to see where to credit take a look at Where to Credit Calculator
When you reach *S (25K) at TK you get an extra 15% for J.

And if it’s not about status just for mileage earning with a credit card then I would also look at UA, SQ & NH.
Thank you for your reply. I really like that website you sent. Easier than looking at the charts, and breaking out my calculator.

I fly mostly to Europe (2-3 times a year), but go to Asia every couple years (may go next year).

After some further research it looks like the best I'll do on status with these trips would be Silver, and that really doesn't have much value to me so the status side is no longer a concern to me. I'm really interested in the best redemptions for business/first flights. The idea of credit to SQ interests me. I like the fact I can transfer my Amex points to them in addition to my earnings on TK and UA (I unfortunately have a domestic flight coming up w/ them in May), and I really want to try out their Suites.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:38 pm

Hi everyone,
I became TK Elite couple of days ago and there's one question I'd like to ask you...
As far as I know, *A system does not recognise TK's new elite members immediately but after some time. I wonder, if there's any source of information, where I could check from time to time, whether my TK status is already recognised by *A system as gold? Of course, I could do it at the time of check in for the flight but my earliest future flight with *A is in late April and I'd like to know it sooner.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by tropikey
Hi everyone,
I became TK Elite couple of days ago and there's one question I'd like to ask you...
As far as I know, *A system does not recognise TK's new elite members immediately but after some time. I wonder, if there's any source of information, where I could check from time to time, whether my TK status is already recognised by *A system as gold? Of course, I could do it at the time of check in for the flight but my earliest future flight with *A is in late April and I'd like to know it sooner.
Add your TK FF number to the reservation you have in late April and see if it recognizes your status.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:44 pm

Thanks I've already did that but I don't see any difference, comparing with previous situation (earlier I had my basic M&M number). I have three bookings for flights with LO (April), LH (May) and TP (August). I entered my TK Elite number in all of them and I see no indication that my status is recognised. From the other hand, I'm not sure, how early before the flight *A gold member is able to use benefits, like selection of seat free of charge. Perhaps, right now it's too early, regardless of recognition of my status? I'll have to search for information about it in other parts of this forum, dedicated to LH, LO and TP.
Anyway, how long does it take approximately to enter information about new TK status holder in *A system?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:52 am

In LH, I saw TK*G for me. Try to remove the number and add it in a few days.
tropikey likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:11 am

How is it indicated in LH booking? Does it have any description, like "Star Alliance Gold" or similar?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by tropikey
How is it indicated in LH booking? Does it have any description, like "Star Alliance Gold" or similar?
I have an upcoming LH flight. Although in the past there was a clear indication of status, I’m not able to find this time on their website. Sorry.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: NH*G, TK*G
Hi!
Just one question, because I couldn't find the info.

I will fly by TK G class.
It seems that 50% of the miles can be collected according to the displayed amount on"Manage your booking" in TK official website.
However, G class in not mentioned at all on the official millage accrual table.
I called to Customer service to ask it,
and the agent answered that half of the original mile can definitely be got for G class although this class is not mentioned on the table.

I am not totally convinced yet about this confusing situation.
Could anyone share experience of flying by TK G class?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:41 am

Hi all,

does anybody know what is the maximum time period for retrospective crediting of flights to the M&S program?

I am thinking of collecting the TK boarding passes throughout this year and then decide if it is worth it to credit them to M&S or other program, like MM.

Thank you!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Will Fly 4 Miles
does anybody know what is the maximum time period for retrospective crediting of flights to the M&S program?
I am thinking of collecting the TK boarding passes throughout this year and then decide if it is worth it to credit them to M&S or other program, like MM.
12 months for M&S. Take care as some other programs only provide a 6 month window.
Will Fly 4 Miles likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Another question about earnings on TK, anyone got a clue how much SQ W class earns on TK? I see to tables on the earnings page on TK's website.
One of them states 75 percent and the other one states 100%.

Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Granite64
Another question about earnings on TK, anyone got a clue how much SQ W class earns on TK? I see to tables on the earnings page on TK's website.
One of them states 75 percent and the other one states 100%.
For flights before Mar. 17 2018, W is 100% and after 75%.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
It’s 100% according to TK, what a mess their new website is..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.