Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by moeser
P fare on LX will earn you 150% as well.I don't get it why the LH P isn't
eligible any more
Is there any chance that the web site is wrong? Does anyone have first-hand experience with this?

I guess I could take a chance and try to credit to TK, and if they deny it, then credit to UA.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:42 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by mecabq
Is there any chance that the web site is wrong? Does anyone have first-hand experience with this?

I guess I could take a chance and try to credit to TK, and if they deny it, then credit to UA.
Nope, that's correct. LH P earns nothing. Even with LH M&M this only earns 100%.

I would not recommend the latter, as you are technically crediting miles (even with zero earning) to TK. Getting that changed retrospectively may cause headaches.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:18 am

Have never flown TK before and am considering TK for a trip in November in business class. Trip is IAD-NCE, which would require an overnight in IST in each direction. From reading on here and the TK website I think I have figured out that TK will put me up in a hotel overnight each way. I have never been to IST before and would love to take the chance to be a tourist there, if only for a few hours.

Questions- How far is the hotel they usually use from interesting sites & dining in IST? Itinerary would be land at roughly 1700, depart 1100 +1 or 1730 +1 if I can swing that when ticketing, then for return land at 1700, depart 1330 +1.
Is that enough time to do/see anything?

IAD-IST seems to be an A343 most of the time which means angled lie flat? And A333 = good but A332 = bad? But from reading on here equipment swaps are frequent so I wouldn't even know for sure until close to departure I guess.

IST-NCE is 737/A320 mix, but J seats are all the same (2x2), similar to U.S. domestic First class?

I'm *A Gold through Aegean and that IST lounge looks pretty sweet. I'd lose out on a handful of miles since TK earns 150% vs. 200% for J on other *A carriers despite the longer trip. But I might be willing to live with that if I can see a bit of IST and the onboard product is comparable to LH/UA/AF/BA (next cheapest J class right now).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have taken the IAD flight twice and found it excellent. It was on the A343 both times, which is certainly not as nice as their B777, but it's one of the best angled-flat seats in the business -- better than LH, for example, and much better than OS, AF, or TG in my opinion. Plus the food, entertainment, and service are pretty good. And you have the Virgin Atlantic lounge at IAD. I would not hesitate to book this.

I don't know what hotel they use, but if it's anywhere near the airport, then it's not too convenient for nightlife. You would have to take a taxi, or perhaps subway, to either the old city or new. There are some local neighborhoods near the airport (e.g., Atakoy, or the area near the Polat Renaissance Hotel) where you can have dinner, etc., but if you're a first-time visitor, I would suggest something more interesting. The rush-hour traffic, especially when you land inbound, can be a headache, but if you're patient, you can get into the city.

The NCE flight is actually worse than domestic U.S. F. It's basically economy seating, with perhaps a small amount more pitch and the middle seat blocked (hence the somewhat deceiving 2x2 configuration), like pretty much all European airlines short-haul biz.

As much as I love TK, the IST lounge, and Istanbul, given the prospect of three-hour flights, you might be better off just taking LH or AF.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
As much as I love TK, the IST lounge, and Istanbul, given the prospect of three-hour flights, you might be better off just taking LH or AF.
I'll see it as mileage run - those extra miles you fly do give you mileage which can be nice if you need them to requalify *A Gold.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:40 pm

I have taken the IAD flight twice and found it excellent. It was on the A343 both times, which is certainly not as nice as their B777, but it's one of the best angled-flat seats in the business -- better than LH, for example, and much better than OS, AF, or TG in my opinion. Plus the food, entertainment, and service are pretty good. And you have the Virgin Atlantic lounge at IAD. I would not hesitate to book this.
Thanks. My last TATL J class was LH to MUC (old J) and back from FRA (new J). Old seats were OK but I slept way better in the new J fully flat. Haven't been to the VS lounge at IAD before so would be curious to compare to the LH lounge.

The NCE flight is actually worse than domestic U.S. F. It's basically economy seating, with perhaps a small amount more pitch and the middle seat blocked (hence the somewhat deceiving 2x2 configuration), like pretty much all European airlines short-haul biz.
Yuck, the seat map shows 2x2 on thy.com for NCE-IST, though that is shorter than MUC-LIS and LIS-FRA which I survived on TP/LH short-haul biz. I'd certainly be much more willing to go this route if I knew I was getting real 2x2 seats on the shorter legs.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by whlinder
Yuck, the seat map shows 2x2 on thy.com for NCE-IST, though that is shorter than MUC-LIS and LIS-FRA which I survived on TP/LH short-haul biz. I'd certainly be much more willing to go this route if I knew I was getting real 2x2 seats on the shorter legs.
It always shows 2x2.

Hence the letters. A-C , D-F means old J most probably blocked middle seat,no AVOD

A-B , E-F usually means new Sky Cabin,CC style J leather seat &b AVOD.
Imho the best cont.J product currently.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:12 am

It always shows 2x2.

Hence the letters. A-C , D-F means old J most probably blocked middle seat,no AVOD

A-B , E-F usually means new Sky Cabin,CC style J leather seat &b AVOD.
Imho the best cont.J product currently.
I was just about to post this, in response to a quote in another thread stating that TK operates 738's with proper business class. I didn't know that. Unlikely that they'd be on a leisure route like NCE, but worth a check.

Originally Posted by wyoon
My last night flight ADD-IST was on comfy new 738 with 2-2 seats on 4 rows. . .
Old Jul 9, 2013, 1:39 pm

I was just about to post this, in response to a quote in another thread stating that TK operates 738's with proper business class. I didn't know that. Unlikely that they'd be on a leisure route like NCE, but worth a check.
Yes.I was on the same route.

738 with new J both ways
Although the seat isn't comfortable for sleeping
Recline could be much better !

Also A 321 with the new cabin on the routes to Scandinavia & Finland
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:55 pm

Yes.I was on the same route.

738 with new J both ways
Although the seat isn't comfortable for sleeping
Recline could be much better !

Also A 321 with the new cabin on the routes to Scandinavia & Finland
They run a lot of seemingly brand-new A321 and A320 on some Gulf routes. These are nice aircraft. Similar seat to U.S. domestic first class. Great news that they are refitting some 737s (or are these new too?)

On my last flight from DOH, I had a great A321. They even gave a mini amenity kit in Y. The IFE is the same system as wide-bodies, but with fewer selections. I also observed that in the bulkhead rows (row 5 I think), they screens are affixed to the bulkhead, as opposed to the pull-up style. This is a slight benefit, as you don't have to fiddle with the screen to move out of the seat, and you can enjoy the entertainment gate-to-gate.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:40 am

They run a lot of seemingly brand-new A321 and A320 on some Gulf routes. These are nice aircraft. Similar seat to U.S. domestic first class. Great news that they are refitting some 737s (or are these new too?)

On my last flight from DOH, I had a great A321. They even gave a mini amenity kit in Y. The IFE is the same system as wide-bodies, but with fewer selections. I also observed that in the bulkhead rows (row 5 I think), they screens are affixed to the bulkhead, as opposed to the pull-up style. This is a slight benefit, as you don't have to fiddle with the screen to move out of the seat, and you can enjoy the entertainment gate-to-gate.
The IFE is definitely in the armrest.I had 1E.
The bulkhead monitor is for flight info.

Both A32x & 738 are coming with 4 rows in J.Don't know about the
739 yet.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:01 am

The IFE is definitely in the armrest.I had 1E.
The bulkhead monitor is for flight info.

Both A32x & 738 are coming with 4 rows in J.Don't know about the
739 yet.
I only observed the Y bulkhead, and I am pretty sure that the wall-mounted screen was for IFE . . . it had the entertainment system header page on when we sat down, though I admittedly didn't notice it after that. Plus there was one screen per seat (a row of three on the bulkhead), which would be illogical if it were for flight information. This was on the DOH-IST sector on 07/12, so was an A321.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:48 am

I only observed the Y bulkhead, and I am pretty sure that the wall-mounted screen was for IFE . . . it had the entertainment system header page on when we sat down, though I admittedly didn't notice it after that. Plus there was one screen per seat (a row of three on the bulkhead), which would be illogical if it were for flight information. This was on the DOH-IST sector on 07/12, so was an A321.
Misunderstanding.

I thought you're referring to bulkhead J
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:12 am

Does anyone know anything about the A330-200 with 4 rows of 2x2x2 (AB-DE-JK) configuration? It's coded as "3GF" on the seat selection on TK website... I am not sure what '3GF" means....

Last edited by wifey99999999; Jul 16, 2013 at 3:34 am
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:57 am
Suspended

I have read(in the milage run trhread) that TK credits miles from a to z,that is from origin to destination on multi segment tickets,as a sort of theoretical direct flighrather than by flown segments. Is this correct?,I have only used TK on flights to IST and ADB,but I have always had the extra miles for IST-ADB credited separately and realy not bothered abouth the few miles for the ADB flight,on a long haul with a connection in IST it would ofcs be a different story. I have booked 2 CAI-IST-KUL C class tickets,the second one primarily to become E+,this would seriously screw up my plan,I do understand that since TK have very competitive prices for long haul conecting in IST it might be hard to credit full miles,-but I think it would be moore honest to reduce the acrual for certain booking clases than to do this. Another TK swindle,-like their award awailability and credit card (which only credits fully for very few transactions)!!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Jul 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.