No alcohol, Company policy?

Old Jan 21, 13, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down No alcohol, Company policy?

I was on business IST-DKR last week, and told by cabin crew, that there's no alcohol onboard due to company policy. Anyone have similar experiences?
Old Jan 21, 13, 7:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
A few destinations are indeed dry on TK (e.g. flights to Iran). But I didn't know this also applies to DAK.
Old Jan 21, 13, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed, especially when the web pages says following about the business class:

"•Throughout the flight a wide variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and beverages is available including wines from exclusive Turkish and World cellars"

A bit misleading info
Old Jan 21, 13, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swiss_global View Post
A few destinations are indeed dry on TK (e.g. flights to Iran). But I didn't know this also applies to DAK.
I dont think so. After 2 weeks in Iran, I quite enjoyed a cold Efes shortly after take off
Old Jan 21, 13, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
I dont think so. After 2 weeks in Iran, I quite enjoyed a cold Efes shortly after take off
This was to Iran not from Iran
Old Jan 22, 13, 8:04 pm

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles
Originally Posted by BizzTraveller View Post
I was on business IST-DKR last week, and told by cabin crew, that there's no alcohol onboard due to company policy. Anyone have similar experiences?
Flight from DAK was also dry? I was thinking about this flight but I may reconsider (although there are very few * flights to DAK).
Old Jan 23, 13, 7:32 am
Original Poster

it was DKR = Dakar, not DAK = Dakhla.

there's also TP and SN *flights to DKR. Don't know about DAK..
Old Jan 23, 13, 7:36 am

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
I have seen Garuda Indonesia state that flights to some Middle Eastern Destinations are dry, from what I can understand these are the flights from Jakarta to Jeddah, from what I understand the main trunk services Jakarta to Amsterdam via Dubai are free flowing.

This makes sense to me that almost everyone on these flights would be Muslim and most passengers would be Haj related or out of season pilgrims
Old Jan 23, 13, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I think that airline should inform passenger, if the flight is "dry". This is degreasing quality of service, I think

Now they are only advertising, "we have world class wines...", which is NOT true
Old Jan 23, 13, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some strict Muslim countries, would it be against the law to enter the country under the influence of alcohol? Or could someone be refused entry for this reason?
Old Jan 23, 13, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Maybe,

But in this case Turkish is only airline in DKR with such a policy
Old Jan 23, 13, 11:16 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles
Originally Posted by BizzTraveller View Post
Maybe,
But in this case Turkish is only airline in DKR with such a policy
I am quite shame of myself as I doubly mislead the post. I thought it was DAC (Dacca, Bangladesh).

I am very surprised that it is dry to Dakar, Senegal. Even though it is a Muslim country, I never encountered trouble getting any alcoholic drinks there. Neither on the airplanes I flew (SA) nor at the hotel/restaurants in town.. It is really strange.
Old Jan 23, 13, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is this really TK company policy to have no alcohol on flights to Senegal for some reason that is not exceptional and perhaps related to concerns about other countries beside Senegal?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In some strict Muslim countries, would it be against the law to enter the country under the influence of alcohol? Or could someone be refused entry for this reason?
Yes, but it's not just "strict" muslim-majority countries where some public displays of being under the influence of drugs (including alcohol) may be a legal issue of the sort that involves police action.

Senegal has people that do legally drink alcohol and it's quite ordinary for people to legally import alcohol when arriving at DKR.

Bangladesh is different than Senegal in this regard, but even that country has some legal imports and domestic consumption of alcohol.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 23, 13 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 24, 13, 2:30 am

No alcohol on Intra-Turkey flights also, as I was told by a FA on my IST-ADA flight last week.
Old Jan 24, 13, 9:54 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lancebanyon View Post
No alcohol on Intra-Turkey flights also, as I was told by a FA on my IST-ADA flight last week.
Same as on LO domestic flights within Poland or on TG domestic flights within Thailand - just cost-cutting - IMHO nothing to do with religion (but TG sells a story that dry flights/lounges were requested by HM The King of Thailand - I am not sure if this is the truth or not).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: