No alcohol, Company policy?

Old Jan 25, 13, 8:44 am

Programs: US, Delta, and United Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lancebanyon View Post
No alcohol on Intra-Turkey flights also, as I was told by a FA on my IST-ADA flight last week.
That's what I have been hearing lately. It sounds like, they are trying to introduce dry flights slowly, and majority of them are local flights for the time.
Old Jan 28, 13, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by BizzTraveller View Post
I think that airline should inform passenger, if the flight is "dry". This is degreasing quality of service, I think

Now they are only advertising, "we have world class wines...", which is NOT true
I think travellers should be well enough aware that certain Islamic countries are more strict about alcohol than others and when flying into this region on any carrier be prepared to be booze free for a few hours. As for "world class wines", Turkey is a prolific producer of wine and some of it is improving. I quite enjoy an informal tasting when I am passing a few hours in the TK IST lounge...pairing a selection of reds with items from the pastry table (and particularly all those Do&Co chocolate cakes, etc.)!

The Turkish government is slowly moving from secularism to Islamism and imposing stricter following of certain Muslim practices of which a tolerance of alcohol is one.
Old Jan 30, 13, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
The Turkish government is slowly moving from secularism to Islamism and imposing stricter following of certain Muslim practices of which a tolerance of alcohol is one.
This, is the problem, and government has control over TK..
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ilisira View Post
This, is the problem, and government has control over TK..
That's the problem with flying state owned airlines.
(One of the reasons why I prefer US airlines and CX and moved away from AC which is becoming more state dependent, though FFP for US airlines has much more to do with my preference there.)
Old Jan 30, 13, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
That's the problem with flying state owned airlines.
That you are right.

Being a near monopoly also helps them (at least helped them for a long time, now they have more competition).
Old Feb 1, 13, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Doesn't the IST-DKR flight stop in NKC? Mauritania is a very strict Islamic state. That probably has something to do with it.
Old Feb 2, 13, 5:17 am

Programs: Hyatt&Hilton&BW Diamond,GHA Black,Marriott Plat,SPG Gold,AB Platinum,TK Elite,AZ Alata Plus,EY Gold
Indeed there are some islamic states which also forbid consuming alcohol in their airspace. Some airlines care about it, others not really.

From my experience TKs handling is a bit strange. They served me drinks while in Maldivian airspace, but did not while in the airspace of countries that don't disallow alcohol in airspace.
A bit strange, if someone has some scheme behind this, let me know!
Old Feb 2, 13, 6:18 pm
DWM

Programs: AA Gold (and climbing), SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
This leads into why is EgyptAir is dry.... I've been there many times, and had many boozed up times in Egypt. I changed a biz class flight from BKK to CAI to BKK-IST-CAI to enjoy some vin, and the status miles weren't a deterent either...
Old Feb 3, 13, 10:51 am
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In some strict Muslim countries, would it be against the law to enter the country under the influence of alcohol? Or could someone be refused entry for this reason?
thats absolutely the case for places like Saudi. you could end up in jail too.
Old Feb 3, 13, 4:21 pm

All TK flights from IST to KSA and back are dry since 2008.

Before 2008 they didn't offer alc.in C but you got it after asking.
Old May 23, 16, 4:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
Doesn't the IST-DKR flight stop in NKC? Mauritania is a very strict Islamic state. That probably has something to do with it.
Yesterday, I took the IST - NKC flight, and indeed, it was dry. Alcohol is by and large banned in Mauritania, with some exceptions.
Tomorrow, I will be taking the NKC - IST flight that goes via DKR, so will be interesting. I will report back, so keep fingers crossed....
Old May 24, 16, 10:00 am

Flying Turkish Airlines Economy (X) on Friday MIA/IST/PRG returning 6/5 BUD/IST/MIA all booked on one ticket through United Airlines. It seems that all of the dry flights are either to Muslim countries or domestic from IST. Am I understanding that correctly? Mostly I'd like to have a drink on my MIA/IST flight to help me sleep as much of the way as possible. Also do they accept credit cards or do I need to carry some cash for drinks?
Old May 24, 16, 10:25 am

When they do serve drinks, they are on the house.
Old May 24, 16, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blackeyes24 View Post
Also do they accept credit cards or do I need to carry some cash for drinks?
The airlines of America have trained you well

TK doesn't charge for drinks
Old May 25, 16, 7:10 am

As promised, my update from NKC - DKR - IST.

Got to the airport at NKC, have bags scanned, check in and go through final security. Into a room with nothing...... A small duty free shop set to one side, the Air France Lounge and another lounge that would not accept PP, nor TK E+ - nada.

Sat there for a while waiting for the aircraft to arrive - will get something to drink on board, so don't worry about the thirst building up......

Get on board for the quick 45 minute jaunt to DKR, and yup, no service, as in no service. Not a drop of water to be had. The crew did nothing.

Sat on the ground in DKR for an hour, did a crew change and loaded new pax, and off we went. Handed out menus, and I opened the menu, and nada. Soft drinks and the usual. So, totally dry even out of DKR.

Last time I went to NKC I flew with AF, and they even served champers as a PDB as soon as the doors closed - wonder if it is still the same.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: