Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by CoweyB
I tweeted TK Help Desk about hotels and tours after the Great Move and this is what they said but note the layover period has increased:

Hello, a complimentary hotel accommodation will be provided to our passengers when there are more than 12 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 9 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to TA schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. Also, as of 7th April, we will continue providing the TourIstanbul service. Simply head to our desk located at the arrival terminal next to the hotel desk.
Thanks for this. I have a trip planned and still qualify since I have 15 hours, so it will be interesting to see what they will offer me. I am *G on M&S, so can use the Lounge, but flying Economy, so do not think that the Airport Hotel qualifies (if they have built one). Last time, it was full and I was directed to the Hotel Desk.
Will be interesting to see how it will pan out - IF, my Client accepts my routing and does not tell me to go via ADD, I will report back.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Thanks for this. I have a trip planned and still qualify since I have 15 hours, so it will be interesting to see what they will offer me. I am *G on M&S, so can use the Lounge, but flying Economy, so do not think that the Airport Hotel qualifies (if they have built one). Last time, it was full and I was directed to the Hotel Desk.
Will be interesting to see how it will pan out - IF, my Client accepts my routing and does not tell me to go via ADD, I will report back.
They would probably bus you to one of the hotels near the old airport. I don't think that TK would contract YOTEL for their passengers , also in Atatürk, most of the passengers are not booked to the TAV Hotel in the airside. This is because the airport hotels are usually expensive then city hotels in industrial areas. Usually people prefer to pay extra €50-€60 per night to stay in the airport hotel because of visa fees, transportation concerns ( traffic congestion in Istanbul ), taxi fees etc... TK is not willing to pay that extra €50-€60 per pax and find it cheaper to bus passengers to nearby hotels. Just be aware to make a reservation online for the hotel service via the designated e-mail if your clients accepts to be routed from IST. The designated e-mail is the WIKI of this thread.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just be aware to make a reservation online for the hotel service via the designated e-mail if your clients accepts to be routed from IST. The designated e-mail is the WIKI of this thread.
Maybe I misunderstand, but at Atatürk Airport I always went to the hotel desk and got a hotel on the spot. I never reserved the hotel via email before. Is this now required?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Maybe I misunderstand, but at Atatürk Airport I always went to the hotel desk and got a hotel on the spot. I never reserved the hotel via email before. Is this now required?
I don't think it's required but it's better if you e-mail and confirm your hotel room.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
I don't think it's required but it's better if you e-mail and confirm your hotel room.
@ SFOTraveler1984
I did not do this the first time I used the service, and got a really crappy hotel in some Industrial area. The second time, (yes, I was flying J Class), I did email them, and got a very decent hotel. And the last time, flying Y again, I got the Radisson - which fulfilled my needs. So I would take the advice and email beforehand - it cannot do any harm, and if they have loads of pax, it may help to get you to a better hotel. Going back to my first experience, if my ticket was fully flexible, I would actually have extended my stay and paid for myself in a hotel of my choice - hotel prices then were cheap, and I have no issue spending a few $$ on feeding myself at small family run diners - goodness knows, the tourist industry was hit hard enough a few years ago.
So, I will see what pans out, and if I can, (keeping fingers crossed), that I do the JNB - OUA routing on TK as opposed to ET, I will report back as to what the new procedure is like.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Last edited by roadwarrier; Mar 26, 2019 at 2:41 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CoweyB
Hello, a complimentary hotel accommodation will be provided to our passengers when there are more than 12 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 9 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to TA schedule structure.
Interesting... I was talking to a TK corporate sales person over the weekend about the move and she said that the hotel program would be unchanged - although I suspect I'd believe your source more than her.

It'll be interesting to see if the restrictions for the sleeping rooms in the lounge (I presume they still have them?) have changed to match this? They were previously for layovers up to 7 hours, on the grounds that above 7 hours you could get a hotel room. If the hotel room is now 9, but the sleeping rooms are still 7 hours, that leaves anyone in the 7-9 window with nothing...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
What's the expected turnaround time for [email protected]? Is there another way to get in touch with them?

My family and I are booked in paid J class SFO-IST-LHR // NAP-IST-SFO, and I emailed [email protected] to confirm eligibility 3 days ago, and then following up yesterday. Still no reply.

I had emailed another alias, [email protected] but they said I was ineligible because LHR isn't on their list of approved destinations! I then gave the person the link to the webpage: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-k...ice/index.html , but the person could not help at all and only said to contact [email protected] as that's a totally different program/department.

First of all, having two different free hotel programs with different rules is already confusing enough already. Having the customer service be helpless and unable to transfer/escalate things is utterly frustrating, when we are spending thousands of $$$ on them.

We are *G and have previously visited their lounge in IST and loved it. But this would be our first time actually flying on TK metal, and I am quite disappointed at the customer service already!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryu2
What's the expected turnaround time for [email protected]? Is there another way to get in touch with them?

My family and I are booked in paid J class SFO-IST-LHR // NAP-IST-SFO, and I emailed [email protected] to confirm eligibility 3 days ago, and then following up yesterday. Still no reply.

I had emailed another alias, [email protected] but they said I was ineligible because LHR isn't on their list of approved destinations! I then gave the person the link to the webpage: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-k...ice/index.html , but the person could not help at all and only said to contact [email protected] as that's a totally different program/department.

First of all, having two different free hotel programs with different rules is already confusing enough already. Having the customer service be helpless and unable to transfer/escalate things is utterly frustrating, when we are spending thousands of $$$ on them.

We are *G and have previously visited their lounge in IST and loved it. But this would be our first time actually flying on TK metal, and I am quite disappointed at the customer service already!
According to "However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above." this, LHR could be reachable from the SFO flight much more less than a 1h30 min - 2h connection so you won't be eligible for the hotel service. This particular situation had been discussed before and some other members reported that LGW works for those willing a hotel room. For your return trip from NAP to SFO, you would be eligible for the free stopover hotel service.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
For your return trip from NAP to SFO, you would be eligible for the free stopover hotel service.
Correct, we are just interested in the NAP-SFO portion for the free hotel and just want to officially confirm eligibility beforehand.

It's frustrating I can't get in touch with them for something as simple as this.

Last edited by Ryu2; Mar 29, 2019 at 12:09 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: TG*G
I will be flying in J class TPE-IST-ACC (9hr 15 min stop over) and LOS-IST-TPE (21 hr stopover - ugh!) at the end of April and return in early May. I'm on one ticket so I'm fairly sure I'm entitled to hotels in both directions. I know it is unclear which hotels they'll be using but it sounds like emailing them to give warning in advance helps get better hotels. I live in Taiwan and the hotels page on the website doesn't include a Taiwan-specific email address as an option.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmi_Barry
I will be flying in J class TPE-IST-ACC (9hr 15 min stop over) and LOS-IST-TPE (21 hr stopover - ugh!) at the end of April and return in early May. I'm on one ticket so I'm fairly sure I'm entitled to hotels in both directions. I know it is unclear which hotels they'll be using but it sounds like emailing them to give warning in advance helps get better hotels. I live in Taiwan and the hotels page on the website doesn't include a Taiwan-specific email address as an option.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
You are entitled for a hotel in both directions. If Taiwan does not include a specific address, e-mail the worldwide e-mail address which you could find in the WIKI section of this thread.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:00 pm

Well, considering it’s clearly listed as Taiwan, China I would write the Chinese address

hardly rocket science, is it?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I have an 8h45min layover in ISL later this month, booked in J. When I booked my flight the rule was free hotel for layovers over 7 hours in J, now the rule is 9 hour threshold. Am I out of luck or is the rule dependent on when the flight was booked? Part of why I booked this itinerary was the free hotel - I like breaking down my two long flights with a short stint in a hotel, sometimes in Istanbul and sometimes in Doha. Without the hotel this is a very bad layover and I would have never booked this itinerary...
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
I have an 8h45min layover in ISL later this month, booked in J. When I booked my flight the rule was free hotel for layovers over 7 hours in J, now the rule is 9 hour threshold. Am I out of luck or is the rule dependent on when the flight was booked? Part of why I booked this itinerary was the free hotel - I like breaking down my two long flights with a short stint in a hotel, sometimes in Istanbul and sometimes in Doha. Without the hotel this is a very bad layover and I would have never booked this itinerary...
I guess you can book a sleeping room inside the lounge. If not, hotel in IST is cheap anyway
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dear folks, as this thread was dedicated to Atatürk Airport, I had created a new thread for the hotel, tour, sleeping room issues in Istanbul Airport. You could visit that thread by clicking here.

I have also created a WIKI over there that you could have basic knowledge about the process of the hotel rooms, tours and sleeping rooms after the movement.
roadwarrier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.