Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines corporate partners and will be provided through the Hotel Desk located after the customs check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor most common)
Akgn Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisorcommon far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisorcommon - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:38 pm

How are they with giving out free tours when the layover doesn't meet their requirements exactly?

I arrive at 16:45 on Friday and have a departure for 19:35 on Saturday. No, I'm not on the first flight out for my departure (that would be 19:35 Friday).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by stalker
How are they with giving out free tours when the layover doesn't meet their requirements exactly?

I arrive at 16:45 on Friday and have a departure for 19:35 on Saturday. No, I'm not on the first flight out for my departure (that would be 19:35 Friday).
We were in the very same situation and they are very ok in giving out the tours.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
As there are plenty of Moscow flights on the day of your arrival (three to be precise) you will be out of luck.
Originally Posted by nacho
You can always try, obviously someone got a hotel room even though there was an earlier flight.
Thanks!
Of course I will try! I've read Its better go to transit desk before visa control to try to get a voucher, and then go to hotel desk (after visa control), right?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by jogb
Thanks!
Of course I will try! I've read Its better go to transit desk before visa control to try to get a voucher, and then go to hotel desk (after visa control), right?
Of course, you do realize that if TK says "No" to the hotel, then you are stuck in IST overnight without a hotel reservation, and will be forced to pay rack rate for whatever hotel you can find at that time. And chances are that TK will say "No" as there are so many earlier flights.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by iamaho
Of course, you do realize that if TK says "No" to the hotel, then you are stuck in IST overnight without a hotel reservation, and will be forced to pay rack rate for whatever hotel you can find at that time. And chances are that TK will say "No" as there are so many earlier flights.
You are probably right....
Unfortunately, last minute APP's like, blink, hoteltonight, reallylatebooking and others doesn't have Istambul...
EDIT: APP hot.co.uk has last minute Istanbul hotel reservations

Last edited by jogb; Jul 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Unfortunately, I believe you will not be successful in obtaining free hotel by TK based on the availability of earlier flights to your destination. I have extensive experiences in this same situation.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrizNation
Just returned from my trip and I can confirm that they will honor it no problem! I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. Kudos TK, this would never happen with UA
Originally Posted by cagcag
Unfortunately, I believe you will not be successful in obtaining free hotel by TK based on the availability of earlier flights to your destination. I have extensive experiences in this same situation.
This really shows the inconsistency of TK. I think someone at FT mentioned that if they don't honour free hotel, they could find you a room at an ok rate.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:49 pm

Hi Stalker, I am in the same boat, do let me know how it goes at the IST airport and also what all you were able to visit in this duration.. Are you flying this summer ?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:43 pm

Nope, the trip is way out in November.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:47 pm

Free tour

Despite not being able to obtain free hotel accommodation, I do believe that THY will allow you to join a free tour. The only caveat being that the tours leave from Ataturk Airport (IST), so joining the tour would mean returning to IST from wherever you will be staying. If you end up staying near the Airport, many of the hotels provide free transport from and to the Airport. I hope you enjoy your stay in Istanbul.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
TK hotel new question

Hello,

I red the topic but didn't found any exactly same case.

I am on a BUD-IST-YYZ itinerary:
BUD-IST arriving at 13:40
IST-YYZ departing at 13:35 next day - it's the next IST-YYZ flight
the layover is 23:55
all on TK

but there is a later BUD-IST the same day arriving at 23:15 giving a 14:25 layover - still eligible for a hotel. Nothing after.

Will I get a hotel room at the desk?

Thanks,

Ben
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost definitely you will get a free night at IST.

If you are in doubt, call the hotel desk and ask because they are the ones who decides. The best is to call as close to your departure day as possible.

I posted the hotel desk no. in this thread a while ago.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:52 pm

Hotel

Originally Posted by nacho
Almost definitely you will get a free night at IST.

If you are in doubt, call the hotel desk and ask because they are the ones who decides. The best is to call as close to your departure day as possible.

I posted the hotel desk no. in this thread a while ago.
Agree with nacho. Proceed directly to the THY Hotel Desk next to the Starbucks in the arrival hall.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA/*A:S,UC DL/ST:S Hyatt:Plat, GE
Glad to see their pretty lax about letting voluntary long-layovers take the tour! Does anyone have experience getting the tour if landing <1 hour before it starts?

TK business on a UA award (I):
ATH - IST arriving 8h20
IST - PRG departing 16h35

Is it worth trying to make the 9h00 tour or should I go explore the city on my own?

According to the site the tour meets at 8h30, but depart at 9h:
http://www.istanbulinhours.com/how-to-apply
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
We are arriving in IST at 6pm and departing 5pm the next day (both TK flights, both int'l, both the only flights as per schedule - so we meet all the requirements). Is there any chance to get both a hotel (it would need to be at/nearby airport, as the tour departs from the airport @ 9am) and the 9am-3pm tour, or are they firm on one or the other and not both?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.