Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
In a couple of weeks, I will be flying SFO-IST-DUB in J class. I have one ticket all the way through but have to overnight in IST due to connection being the next day. I was looking at staying at the Renaissance Polat. I guess I will not be covered under TK and have to book it myself? Also, would I have access to the minibus if I am not covered under TK?
Presuming you do actually mean Dublin (DUB) and not Dubai (DXB) then yes, you should be covered as the shortest possible connection on that route is >7 hours.

If for some reason you have to pay your own way, then the Renaissance has their own shuttle bus to the airport that you can use if staying there, or it's a relatively cheap taxi ride. You can NOT use the TK bus if they aren't providing the hotel.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:43 pm

Free hotel can you get in the tour as well?

I am transitioning IST twice (outbound and return) in a few weeks and am eligible for the free hotel stay both times, which is already confirmed through email exchange. The second flight on one of the transits is on the next day late in the day giving me free time in the morning until about noon.

I know the website says that you can either get the hotel o do the tour. Has anyone taken the tour (and used the hotel perk?) I am guessing it does not hurt to show up in the morning for the tour and join it in case they have free space. Has anyone done this before?

TIA
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Does TK consider different airports in the same city as different destinations for the purposes of determining hotel eligibility?

E.g I want to fly SFO-IST-London.

There's a IST-LHR flight that will connect to the SFO-IST flight in 1 hour 25 minutes, so not eligible for the hotel. But if I book SFO-IST-LGW, then the earliest IST-LGW flight is 14 hours after. Will TK allow me a hotel in this case, or will they point to the LHR flight?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Ryu2
Does TK consider different airports in the same city as different destinations for the purposes of determining hotel eligibility?

E.g I want to fly SFO-IST-London.

There's a IST-LHR flight that will connect to the SFO-IST flight in 1 hour 25 minutes, so not eligible for the hotel. But if I book SFO-IST-LGW, then the earliest IST-LGW flight is 14 hours after. Will TK allow me a hotel in this case, or will they point to the LHR flight?

Do you get free 24-hour cancellation? If so book the ticket to LGW and then send them an email to confirm you are eligible for a hotel. And then proceed accordingly. The email address is: [email protected] . They are very quick
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ryu2
Based on my experience of doing exactly that same routing, you WILL get a hotel. Like you, I specifically picked LGW rather than LHR to get the extended layover (and as a side effect, the hotel).
Ryu2 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I had a flight connection that was originally a one night stay in IST, would qualify for the complimentary hotel. Schedule change now turned that into three nights and the program rules say two nights maximum.

Has anyone here run into something like this before?
Award ticket in J if that makes a difference.

EDIT: re-routed to VIE with a single nights stay which will be out of pocket.

Last edited by gr8pirate; Feb 15, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:29 am

Data point: flying LWO-IST-ALA in J with an 8h connection. Was given the Hilton Bomonti but unfortunately due to queues and awful Istanbul traffic, I only get 3 hours in this beautiful hotel. Oh well.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by w000t
Was given the Hilton Bomonti but unfortunately due to queues and awful Istanbul traffic,
Did you specifically ask for those hotel, or was it just assigned? Seems a poor option for an 8 hour layover given the distance from the airport...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Did you specifically ask for those hotel, or was it just assigned? Seems a poor option for an 8 hour layover given the distance from the airport...
Nope, it was just assigned. I was the only J pax and I guess they were trying to take care of their J pax by giving me a nicer hotel but honestly it ended up backfiring due to the travel time. Would've preferred a closer but less nice hotel but can't complain when it's free I guess
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: M&M Sen, M&S Elite
I have an upcoming trip in Summer, LUX-IST-JNB, with a scheduled connection time of 9:20 hours. Eco ticket so no free hotel. I'm wondering, has anyone tried for a hotel room based on arriving in J and departing in Y? The threshold for J is at 7 hours.

I know I could ask TK, but chances for receiving a useful answer are slim. Just looking into options right now, including (partial) upgrade.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: DL GM, TK Elite+, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by w000t
Data point: flying LWO-IST-ALA in J with an 8h connection. Was given the Hilton Bomonti but unfortunately due to queues and awful Istanbul traffic, I only get 3 hours in this beautiful hotel. Oh well.
Hotel allocation seems to be inconsistent these days - I (J pax) ended up in the "Retaj Royale" which wasn't far from the airport, but quite a dump tbh.
Hoping for the quite okay Renaissance Polat (used to be their usual choice for J pax) next time...hope they aren't trying to save money now
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by docbert
There is no way you can ask for a specific hotel.

My experience from December. Travelling in Y as TK Gold. 10h15min layover.

Early AM arrival into IST. At the TK hotel desk I was told to wait (there are chairs and tables in front of the nearby Starbucks). After approx 45 min a TK agent came and took me and other waiting pax to a van parked outside. Very little communication; no mentioning of which hotel we were going to. Driving another 45 min to Hilton Garden Inn Golden Horn (actually quite close to the city center). Arrived at the hotel almost 2 hours after clearing immigration and going to the TK hotel desk! However, check-in was quick and I was explained that breakfast and later lunch was included + I would be picked-up 3 hours before the flight. Skipped breakfast and went straight to bed. Later I had lunch (from small buffet; nothing exciting) and a driver was waiting for me at the reception (I was the first pax to be picked-up in the van and on the way to the airport stops were made at other hotels to pick up pax). Approx 5 hours at hotel.

Given the very reasonable hotels available, next time I will consider buying my own hotel room closer to the airport. Too much time spent waiting at the TK hotel desk and driving back and forth. Also too early to be picked-up 3 hours before the flight (I had already BP for my onward flight).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, FB Platinum, BAEC Gold, ALL Diamond, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK AAR

My experience from December. Travelling in Y as TK Gold. 10h15min layover.

Early AM arrival into IST. At the TK hotel desk I was told to wait (there are chairs and tables in front of the nearby Starbucks). After approx 45 min a TK agent came and took me and other waiting pax to a van parked outside. Very little communication; no mentioning of which hotel we were going to. Driving another 45 min to Hilton Garden Inn Golden Horn (actually quite close to the city center). Arrived at the hotel almost 2 hours after clearing immigration and going to the TK hotel desk! However, check-in was quick and I was explained that breakfast and later lunch was included + I would be picked-up 3 hours before the flight. Skipped breakfast and went straight to bed. Later I had lunch (from small buffet; nothing exciting) and a driver was waiting for me at the reception (I was the first pax to be picked-up in the van and on the way to the airport stops were made at other hotels to pick up pax). Approx 5 hours at hotel.

Given the very reasonable hotels available, next time I will consider buying my own hotel room closer to the airport. Too much time spent waiting at the TK hotel desk and driving back and forth. Also too early to be picked-up 3 hours before the flight (I had already BP for my onward flight).
Things I've done before and might be worth trying for others

1. Ask (nicely) the hotel desk person for the confirmation paper and say you're not interested in waiting for the transfer and will take your own transportation there. She gave it to me. You'll obviously have to bank the taxi cost to the hotel.
2. Tell the hotel you're not interested in the shuttle back to the airport (done it almost always except while flying J where times are more reasonable) — then leave something like 2h before flight. Accounting for crazy traffic this should still be enough assuming you don't want a lot of time at the lounge and use priority lanes to get into terminal and into airside.

I understand the pain (and the willingness to book an hotel given how cheap they are) but just think the above, in some cases, might be worthwhile.

Last edited by ricardojrsousa; Feb 23, 2019 at 1:59 pm Reason: typo :-)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
They will not give you the opportunity to ask, but that doesn't mean that you can't!

When first giving your details at the desk you can ask for whatever you want. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee they will give you what you ask for (or even acknowledge your request!), but on occasion at least they will try.

I've done this myself, as well as seen (heard?) others do it - including at least one person who asked for the Renaissance but denied after being told that was only for business class passengers.

Otherwise the experience is generally pretty much like what you described - if you don't ask them what you've been assigned, the first time you'll know what hotel you're staying at is when the bus pulls up in front of it...
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:15 pm

I've searched the thread a couple times but didn't find a clear answer - we have ATL-IST-SEZ in business class, arriving at 16:15 and leaving (technically) 2 days later at 01:50, there are no earlier flights out so we definitely qualify for the hotel. I'm just trying to figure out if if they'll give us 2 nights, since the flight leaves at 01:50, or are they only going to give us one night? I'd rather reserve something than spend ~12 hours without a room w/ my wife...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.