Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Hopefully TK continues to provide free hotel after they move to the new airport.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
On the TK's website, it says both TK1752 ant TK1754 passenger connecting to Montreal/Toronto with next day TK35/TK17 will have free accommodation WITH a HOTEL SYMBOL???.

I note that to benefit from the TK's hotel, one must choose the SHORTEST possible time with 7 hours of a layover with econ passengers. Since TK1752 would not be the SHORTEST possible layover in IST, may I know whether it still qualify for a free accommodation?
(One correction to what you've said first - the connection time is 10 hours for a hotel if in economy, 7 hours in business. In your case both are over 10 hours so it's not relevant)

I've successfully been given a hotel in a similar situation, without any issues. In my case (like yours), both options gave connections that were greater than 7 hours (business class), but I had selected the longer of the two. I was expecting some pushback on the basis that there had been a shorter connection available, but I was going to point out it was >7 hours anyway so I would still have been eligible, but in the end I didn't need to say a word!

If I look at option for TLV-IST-SFO (which has option with connections <10 hours and >10 hours, depending on which inbound flight you catch) it's showing the TourIstanbul logo for the forced longer connections, but not the hotel logo. This makes it seem like if there is a shorter option available (including a different inbound flight) and you don't take it then you don't get a hotel, but if there is no <10 hour option available then you can take a longer option and still get the hotel.

One way or another, I'd be taking a screenshot/printout of what you've got above along with me to the hotel desk just in case...

That said, hotels are so cheap in IST at the moment, even if you don't get one for free it's worth the small extra cost to spend some time there!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: TK Gold
In case you wanna know what TK replied me just now:

And when I replied to them to ask specific, they asked me to call their hotline. In a nutshell, nothing has been answered. However, I have been advised by the HK reservation team that the LONGER layover is not possible. IST's hotel is cheap anyway. I'd rather book it and see what may happen.

Dear Tobias,

We would like to declare that as Turkish Airlines, we carry out our activities in the services sector in accordance with certain rules. The various kinds of tickets we offer for the use of our passengers each have their own rules and limitations of use. The terms of use are communicated at the time of sale to our passengers. The rules and regulations to which the ticket is subject gain validity after purchase and alterations/returns to tickets are carried out as per the rules for the ticket.

In addition, referring to your message, please be advised that in order for Turkish Airlines to provide day-use hotel service to transit passengers the connection time between two international flights should be 10 hours where as it is 7 hours for Business Class passengers. (Also, passenger should purchase ticket with a connection flight which is Turkish Airlines own schedule).The hotels are booked when passenger arrives in Istanbul and which hotel passenger will be booked depends on room availability. Thus, you need to apply to the Hotel Desk in Istanbul Atatürk Airport after passport control. Also, we would like to inform you that passengers should have visa, in order to be taken to the hotels in the city center. If passenger has no valid visa to get in country and there is no available room in the Airport Hotel, it is not possible to provide hotel service for passenger.

This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above.

Kind Regards,

Cenk D.
Elite / Elite Plus Customer Representative

Turkish Airlines Inc.
Customer Contact Center
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
In case you wanna know what TK replied me just now:

And when I replied to them to ask specific, they asked me to call their hotline. In a nutshell, nothing has been answered. However, I have been advised by the HK reservation team that the LONGER layover is not possible. IST's hotel is cheap anyway. I'd rather book it and see what may happen.

Dear Tobias,

We would like to declare that as Turkish Airlines, we carry out our activities in the services sector in accordance with certain rules. The various kinds of tickets we offer for the use of our passengers each have their own rules and limitations of use. The terms of use are communicated at the time of sale to our passengers. The rules and regulations to which the ticket is subject gain validity after purchase and alterations/returns to tickets are carried out as per the rules for the ticket.

In addition, referring to your message, please be advised that in order for Turkish Airlines to provide day-use hotel service to transit passengers the connection time between two international flights should be 10 hours where as it is 7 hours for Business Class passengers. (Also, passenger should purchase ticket with a connection flight which is Turkish Airlines own schedule).The hotels are booked when passenger arrives in Istanbul and which hotel passenger will be booked depends on room availability. Thus, you need to apply to the Hotel Desk in Istanbul Atatürk Airport after passport control. Also, we would like to inform you that passengers should have visa, in order to be taken to the hotels in the city center. If passenger has no valid visa to get in country and there is no available room in the Airport Hotel, it is not possible to provide hotel service for passenger.

This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above.

Kind Regards,

Cenk D.
Elite / Elite Plus Customer Representative

Turkish Airlines Inc.
Customer Contact Center
In a shocking turn of events, their customer service continues to be spectacularly unhelpful.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Just flew through Istanbul with a 20 hour stopover, so I thought I'd report back. I was flying from the US to Eastern Europe, and since they only operate one flight per day to Minsk, I was forced to do a stopover for 20 hours. Cleared passport control very easily; finding the hotel desk was a bit harder, since there's 20 bazillion hotel desks, airport transfers, and tour companies there. THe Turkish Airlines airport desk is to the right once you exit into the arrivals hall, right next to the Starbucks.

I had no trouble getting the free hotel - I just handed them my boarding pass and they immediately went on to book me a hotel. They assigned me to the Hilton Garden Inn, which is some distance from the airport and also from the center of town (Sultanahmet). I opted to decline the free hotel and book my own in Sultanahmet; for $80, I got the absolutely lovely Hotel Niles, which gave me free tea and Turkish delight when I arrived.

Hope this info is helpful for any future travelers; let me know if there's anything else I can answer.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Presuming you're not flying on one of the days that there is a shorter connection (some days there's a 15 hour connection, but not all days) then yes, you are eligible for a hotel.

Personally I'd suggest trying to print out something that shows this was the best/only connection option at the time you booked, as a schedule change between now and then is very possible which could change the options...

Nobody knows. I was in Istanbul last week, and the general feeling is that there is very little chance the airport will open in October as planned, but that the announcement about that will not be made until after the upcoming election (in June/July). There are hotels being built near to the new airport, but apparently most of those will not be ready by October either.
Thanks for the info. I maintain that I will be able to qualify for free transit hotel. Is there some way of getting written confirmation from THY in advance for my eligibility for hotel, by providing itinerary PRN and ticket number? And, if so, how and to whom to address the inquiry?Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by cagcag
Thanks for the info. I maintain that I will be able to qualify for free transit hotel. Is there some way of getting written confirmation from THY in advance for my eligibility for hotel, by providing itinerary PRN and ticket number? And, if so, how and to whom to address the inquiry?Thanks
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-m...ice/index.html
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:52 am

I sent an email to the email address they have listed for whatever regions you're flying between. After some back and forth, they confirmed in writing that I do qualify on the basis of my regions and scheduling.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:31 am

Had a 13.5 hours overnight layover in early July. We were offered Renaissance Istanbul Polat for the night (biz class award tix). Transfer to/from the hotel was easy with TK minivan. We went out to have a look at the Blue Mosque. and had dinner in town. It's an amazing city. Uber rides to go out were cheap and easy too.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:05 am

Has anyone experienced this TK WALKING TOUR & DINNER?

Was considering taking the following walking tour on a 17 hour layover.
It mentions “dinner.” Was the dinner complimentary and was the food good?
Or is it better to just book like the Hilton Doubletree Sirkeci, visit the Hagia Sophia for a few hours, and do a short walking tour and dinner on my own?

Walking Tour (16:00-2100) (4pm-9pm)

Departure from Istanbul Ataturk Airport
Following the Coastal Road
Yeni Kapı Harbour
Beyazit Square
Istanbul University (outer visit)
Beyazit Tower
Old Book Market
Grand Bazaar
Çorlulu Ali Pasha Mosque

Tomb of Mahmud the 2nd
Column of Constantine
Hippodrome Square
German Fountain
Egyptian Obelisk
Serpentine Column
Obelisk of Theodosius
Blue Mosque (outer visit)
Hagia Sophia (outer visit)
Dinner
Returns to Istanbul Ataturk Airport
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
Was considering taking the following walking tour on a 17 hour layover.
It mentions “dinner.” Was the dinner complimentary and was the food good?
Or is it better to just book like the Hilton Doubletree Sirkeci, visit the Hagia Sophia for a few hours, and do a short walking tour and dinner on my own?

Walking Tour (16:00-2100) (4pm-9pm)

Departure from Istanbul Ataturk Airport
Following the Coastal Road
Yeni Kapı Harbour
Beyazit Square
Istanbul University (outer visit)
Beyazit Tower
Old Book Market
Grand Bazaar
Çorlulu Ali Pasha Mosque

Tomb of Mahmud the 2nd
Column of Constantine
Hippodrome Square
German Fountain
Egyptian Obelisk
Serpentine Column
Obelisk of Theodosius
Blue Mosque (outer visit)
Hagia Sophia (outer visit)
Dinner
Returns to Istanbul Ataturk Airport
Have never done the late night tour but have done 1 morning full day tour and my dad recently took a half day one. What I have realised lately is that there has been spurge of transit tourists knowing this perks, making the tour "very packed" Used to be 20-30 people 2-3 years ago and according to my dad who participated the tour in early Jan, there were 100+ persons in the tour. And was told they downgraded the restaurant choice. Used to be at a very popular and historical place near the Blue Mosque.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:23 pm

Anyone by any chance has an update what hotel would TK allocate to its Y class pax?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Anyone by any chance has an update what hotel would TK allocate to its Y class pax?
There are a few of them, all mentioned in this thread, but you never know which one it’s going to be.

On Y connections I’ve been sent to:

Courtyard Marriott
WOW
Holiday Inn Airport North
Pullman (but they said that was because I was E+)
Grand Yavuz
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:42 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I could book a 11 hour connection or a 15 hour connection. Since my only two choices are both above 7 hours (J) or 10 hours (Y), if I pick the 15-hour connection I still get the free hotel, right?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I could book a 11 hour connection or a 15 hour connection. Since my only two choices are both above 7 hours (J) or 10 hours (Y), if I pick the 15-hour connection I still get the free hotel, right?
Recently TK's website changed a little bit. They seem to have rectified that only shorter connection would be entitled with the hotel. Check again on the TK website to see whether there's a hotel symbol. However, it seems that some reported that they are able to get a hotel with the longer transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.