Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by omaid75
Hi All

Have a 23 hours connection coming up in IST both inbound and outbound with TK. I am 100% sure I am eligible for the free hotel.
My problem is that I am a citizen from Cameroon and as such I do not know if immigration will let me go.
Anyone with experience with that ?
AFAIK, you need to comply with Visa entry requirements. So, if you need a visa and qualify for a hotel, the onus is on you to arrange a visa - whether prior to departure, or on Arrival or e-Visa. The hotel desk is after Immigration, so, no visa, no hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:29 pm

The information given by roadwarrior is correct. Turkey is a bit of a "special" case since many Nationals that are otherwise getting anywhere without a visa will need one, while for "friendly" nations you dont need even a passport to enter (something which I happily use myself to avoid collecting entry/exit stamps in my passport)

So if your gouvernment is on good terms with the Erdogan regime, getting a visa / visa on arrival will be easy. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Cameroon/Turkish relationsship and at the moment things often change (see US citizens who were bared from entry for a while without notice)

When is your flight? If more than 3 months away I would give it some time (flight schedule could also still change)

I will try to follow up.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:21 am

Hi!

I booked WAW - IST- HKT, I'm wondering whether I'm eligible for free hotel. As I've found. There is only one direct flight on route WAW - IST, and one direct daily on IST - HKT. My layover is 19 hours. However, I've found some connecting flights from WAW - IST viA Vienna code shared with LOT Airlines, as well as IST - HKT via BKK
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by HanDaniel
Hi!

I booked WAW - IST- HKT, I'm wondering whether I'm eligible for free hotel. As I've found. There is only one direct flight on route WAW - IST, and one direct daily on IST - HKT. My layover is 19 hours. However, I've found some connecting flights from WAW - IST viA Vienna code shared with LOT Airlines, as well as IST - HKT via BKK
You will get a free hotel when your WAW-IST flight is the latest from WAW to catch the IST-HKG flight which must be the earliest from IST. Code shared and transit routes do not have nothing to do with it, they do not count because they are not in TK metal.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Just to report my recent experience, with layovers just over 10 hours.

On the way to my destination (CPT), I was given a room at a Mercure Hotel not too far from the airport, probably 15-20 minutes by van, though the wait to get the van was 30-40 minutes. Decent enough place but of course I just slept and not much more. Appreciated the complementary bottled water at least.

On the way back from CPT, I was given a room at the Hilton Bomonti, which was super swishy but a full hour from the airport, plus the usual 30 minutes wait for the van. This annoyed the heck out of me to be given a room so far away for a connection just over 10 hours. It meant only around 5 hours of sleep. I wish I'd have just stayed at the airport.

I did try to ask if my hotel would be near the airport because my connection wasn't so long, but the staff just sort of pretended to not speak enough English and decided to just fob me off.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: TK E+
Can I participate in more than one of the activities?
The layover will be 20 hours, maybe city tour and cruise? Or after city tour then hotel? Or TK only allow only one free activity for each passenger in each layover?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by omaid75
Hi All

Have a 23 hours connection coming up in IST both inbound and outbound with TK. I am 100% sure I am eligible for the free hotel.
My problem is that I am a citizen from Cameroon and as such I do not know if immigration will let me go.
Anyone with experience with that ?
You must enter Turkey through immigration if you want to use the complimentary hotel, but fortunately Cameroon is on the e-visa list for Turkey, so it should be around $20 and five minutes online.

Get the visa before you start your trip (google Turkey e-visa).

Have a good trip!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:13 pm

Will fly
Mar 23 YUL - IST
Mar 26 IST - MRU

there are 33 hours for connection. Will I be eligible for transit hotel? There is a flight on Mar 25 for YUL to IST making connection to 9 hr 40 minutes but I booked the March 23 flight planning to a little bit of sight seeing at IST.

Also in the way back MRU - IST - YUL connection time is 9 hr 10 min. I assume I can join a tour. Am I correct?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by khkchan
Will fly
Mar 23 YUL - IST
Mar 26 IST - MRU

there are 33 hours for connection. Will I be eligible for transit hotel? There is a flight on Mar 25 for YUL to IST making connection to 9 hr 40 minutes but I booked the March 23 flight planning to a little bit of sight seeing at IST.

Also in the way back MRU - IST - YUL connection time is 9 hr 10 min. I assume I can join a tour. Am I correct?

Many thanks.
Please take the time to read through the information in the wiki at the top of this thread.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:30 am

morning sightseeing tour

I have a 5 hours 15 minutes layover at Istanbul and would like to take the morning sightseeing tour which starts at 8:30am to 11:00am. I emailed them for possibility of taking the tour since its website says it requires a six hours layover which I am a little short.

The reply I got from them is my departure must be 12:30pm or later to take the tour. My departure is 12:35pm, so in theory I should be able to join the tour. I would like to know is there any flyers out there who has actually taken this morning sightseeing tour and what was the experience? My questions for such tour are as follow:

1. Is it worth it?
2. Does the tour arrive back to the airport on time at 11am?
3. How long it usually takes to go through security? Will traveling in business class has any advantage, like a separate shorter and faster security line?
4. What happen if there is a major traffic jam and we miss the flight, is there any possibility of that happening? If that does happen, will Turkish airlines put us on the next flight without penalty?
5. Is the Hotel desk to wait for the tour is landside? So we have to go through immigration/custom to get there?

Looking forward to the feedback and thank you ,
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Please take the time to read through the information in the wiki at the top of this thread.
I read the wiki multiple times and I think this is hard to understand:
"However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service."

I would word it this way:
"Now you have a 10+ hour connection (or 7+ hour for Business passenger) at IST. If there is a later flight from your origin that arrives IST with a connection time less than 10+ hour (or 7+ hour), you cannot take advantage of the hotel service".

My 2 cents.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by khkchan
I read the wiki multiple times and I think this is hard to understand:
"However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service."

I would word it this way:
"Now you have a 10+ hour connection (or 7+ hour for Business passenger) at IST. If there is a later flight from your origin that arrives IST with a connection time less than 10+ hour (or 7+ hour), you cannot take advantage of the hotel service".

My 2 cents.
You’re not wrong. And neither is the wiki/sticky.
You just can’t pick and choose a longer connection if there is a shorter one available, even if it’s not for sale at the time of your booking!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if flight tickets need to be booked directly from TK or can they be bought from an online travel agent instead to qualify for the Touristanbul tour?

Is it worth it, or do they just take you to all the places where they try to flog stuff?!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Does anyone know if flight tickets need to be booked directly from TK or can they be bought from an online travel agent instead to qualify for the Touristanbul tour?

Is it worth it, or do they just take you to all the places where they try to flog stuff?!
You’re good to go with tickets on TK, no matter where you initially bought them.

I haven’t had the chance to take the tour, but would be surprised if it didn’t include a stop at the guide’s buddy’s shop for apple tea.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
You’re good to go with tickets on TK, no matter where you initially bought them.

I haven’t had the chance to take the tour, but would be surprised if it didn’t include a stop at the guide’s buddy’s shop for apple tea.
Great. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the tea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.