Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mischadee
Hi. I was wondering which hotel you recommend aside from The Polat when traveling business? I want to be as close to the airport as possible. Maybe the Polat is the closest?

Thanks
IIRC, The Gorrion Hotel is the closest 5* hotel to the airport. It took less than 2 mins to get there by cab as I didn't want to wait for the airport shuttle.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by EK788
IIRC, The Gorrion Hotel is the closest 5* hotel to the airport. It took less than 2 mins to get there by cab as I didn't want to wait for the airport shuttle.
I'll soon be transiting through IST again and qualify for free hotel. However, I'll be arriving on Sunday evening, which could be quite congested. ??, how long would the wait be at hotel desk? With 10 hours, this might be 1 of few occasions when it's worth paying hotel on your own so you can get to hotel ASAP, considering many decent hotels are under $50 USD.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by vincewy
I'll soon be transiting through IST again and qualify for free hotel. However, I'll be arriving on Sunday evening, which could be quite congested. ??, how long would the wait be at hotel desk? With 10 hours, this might be 1 of few occasions when it's worth paying hotel on your own so you can get to hotel ASAP, considering many decent hotels are under $50 USD.
If it's this Sunday, I'll be there in the late afternoon. I've only taken advantage of their hotel offer six times, but at the worst, it took 20 minutes from the time I got into line until they called us to the taxis.

Tell them you'd be happy to get your own taxi, they took me up on that once and I was out of there in a heartbeat.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
probably staying airside and checking for a "private room" in the lounge for a few hours of sleep might be the better idea, especially if you've to pay for a visa.
Given the higher cost for Canadians to get a visa, I'd be just as happy to skip the hotel and get a few hours of sleep in one of the lounge rooms on my upcoming 4PM-2AM layover.

Is there any particular process for these, or is it just "show up and hope for the best"?

Also wondering if it's possible to walk around any part of the airport, airside, without paying for a visa? 10 hours, between two 10-hour flights, is a long time without a chance to stretch one's legs.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Given the higher cost for Canadians to get a visa, I'd be just as happy to skip the hotel and get a few hours of sleep in one of the lounge rooms on my upcoming 4PM-2AM layover.

Is there any particular process for these, or is it just "show up and hope for the best"?

Also wondering if it's possible to walk around any part of the airport, airside, without paying for a visa? 10 hours, between two 10-hour flights, is a long time without a chance to stretch one's legs.
It's indeed show up and hope for the best.

The lounge itself is big enough to stretch your legs, but of course you can walk around the terminal all you please. I'd say it's about 20min at leisure pace from one side to the other.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:51 pm
ms1

Hi All,

I posted this in another thread but didn't get a definitive response.

I fly JFK-IST on TK12 arriving into IST at 17:25 and depart on TK730 the following morning at 02:10. Therefore there is an 8 hour and 45 minute layover.
The first segment is in business class but the second segment is in economy. Would I still be eligible for the free hotel?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:16 pm

Qualifications for tour

I'm hoping someone can help me determine if we will qualify for the free tour.

We fly from YYZ and arrive in IST on Nov. 1 at 4:15pm, and leave on our connecting flight through following day at 8:50 pm DEL, our layover is about 28hrs.

We are flying business class.

I'm not sure if we would qualify for the free tour as their site indicates layovers between 6-24hrs, but I've read in other places if the flights are intercontinental its extended to 48hrs.

I've tried emailing them, but their responses are far from helpful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by pegster23; Oct 8, 2017 at 1:46 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by pegster23
I'm hoping someone can help me determine if we will qualify for the free tour.

We fly from YYZ and arrive in IST on Nov. 1 at 4:15pm, and leave on our connecting flight through following day at 8:50 pm DEL, our layover is about 28hrs.

We are fighting business class.

I'm not sure if we would qualify for the free tour as their site indicates layovers between 6-24hrs, but I've read in other places if the flights are intercontinental its extended to 48hrs.

I've tried emailing them, but their responses are far from helpful.

Any help would be appreciated.
You might just have to front up and argue your case at the time. Particularly if it is the shortest connection you could manage.

Oh, don't fight business class - resistance is futile.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:15 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
New option for business class: Bosphorus cruise

Turkish Airlines (THY) on Thursday announced a new program called Istanbul Bosphorus Experience that is specially designed for the national carrier's business-class passengers.In a written statement, the airline said the program provides Bosphorus cruise tours to business-class passengers, who have a transfer time of seven or more hours in Istanbul before they continue their trip to their target destinations....
http://aa.com.tr/en/todays-headlines...erience/942358
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Government incentive?

It was like a trip to China a few years ago - a decent tour, good hotels and meals and all had for a song - had to be sponsored by the Government. (10 days in total).

But still, a very nice incentive. Now to get some clients who will stump up for J tickets when I do work for them.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: Star Gold
Not free. 770 TL or 180 euros, "a price exclusive to our Business Class passengers"

https://bosphorus.turkishairlines.com/
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE
Wiki should be updated at the touristanbul website shows 5 scheduled tours, not 3, including one from 8:30am to 11am (Sightseeing tour) and another from 16pm to 21pm (Cultural walk tour).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:37 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by jasdou
Wiki should be updated at the touristanbul website shows 5 scheduled tours, not 3, including one from 8:30am to 11am (Sightseeing tour) and another from 16pm to 21pm (Cultural walk tour).
FT Wikis can be update by most users. Feel free to update the info.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: AC SE
FT Wikis can be update by most users. Feel free to update the info.
Done, updated the wiki with all tour options and added a few details on eligibility.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by belize 1
Not free. 770 TL or 180 euros, "a price exclusive to our Business Class passengers"

https://bosphorus.turkishairlines.com/

Thought it was too good to be true. But that price seems very high. See how many will take them up on that offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.