Very disappointing experience on TK-C

Old Nov 1, 12, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Very disappointing experience on TK-C

Living in Austria, where Turks make up the largest non-native ethnicity, television airwaves are inundated with ads from TK. "Best Airline in Europe in 2012" they claim. I had to see for myself. I submitted to being Globally theirs

TG064 IST-BKK
A330, C/J-Cabin

The *only* thing that sparked me to make this post was (lack of) breakfast service. Everything else could be filed in the "1st world problem" archives. But because some FTers do care about this stuff, I've chosen to be fully comprehensive.

*Boarding*
No priority boarding. Arrived at gate near boarding time. Seating ran perpendicular, leaving a single narrow aisle feeding to the gate. A few people were already standing beyond the belt, having their docs pre-checked. No idea how they got there. 10 minutes later boarding started, and we all fell into single file line. No announcements for child/elderly/*G*S anything

Door #2. "Welcome - where are you sitting?"
"Merhaba - seat 3". I turn left for the cabin.
She puts her arm up, blocking the way. "Go around, sir"

*PDB*:
FA walks around with pre-drink tray. "Hi".
I grab a champagne and empty it in a few minutes.
10 minutes later, my seatmate arrives. She's offered a drink. My empty glass is picked up without possibility of another. It would be another 40 minutes to push-back due to delays.

*Meal*:
It's a nice touch that the menus are personalized. Except I was given someone else's; and they were given mine.

I opted for another champagne and emptied it during appetizer.

Between removing appetizers and bringing the mains, for myself and for my seatmate, nobody seemed to notice that empty glass right on the armrest.

A glass of wine would have been nice. But the call-button didn't function. Had to raise my hand and flag someone down for a Cognac after my tray was removed.

*IFE*:
Didn't work. Never did. Not for myself, not for anyone else in the cabin.
At least there was AC plug to juice the laptop.

*Sleep*:
Seatguru/FT told me it was non-horizontal lie-flat. It was non-horizontal. It was non-flat. Maybe I should've brought a protractor. Maybe I should revisit my definition of flatness. But the seatback had an angle, as did the legrest. Still, this is something I cannot blame on the crew.

*Breakfast*: - and the only reason I'm venting here:
I woke with the cabin lights as my seatmate was getting served. As the FA came to and fro, I was never offered water, tea, juice, coffee, food, anything. I had filled a menu for breakfast pre-selection; the menu was removed sometime during the night. Wonder where it went???

Walked to galley to stretch and wait for the lavatories. I stood out of the way of the busyness of the breakfast service. "Sir, please wait there" -- someone directed where I should side-step my bleary self to. Then *ZIP*, closed the J-vs-Y curtain right in front of my face.

That was basically the flight. Nobody came to check for seats/belts before landing. I considered writing comments on the form of the in-flight Magazine, but realized I did not know any Purser/FA's name. Nor did they know mine.

*Summary*:
Lounge was nice. Hard product was uncomfortable. IFE was inoperable. Lavatory was dirty (floor especially browned). Soft product was indifferent-to-absent. Served with a smile but not much in the way of conversation. "Flying Chef" is a cute novel idea, except its just really a male FA in a toque.

That's enough of "Europe's best carrier" for me. Really looking forward to taking TG on the way back.
Old Nov 2, 12, 3:29 am

oof - we're on this route at xmas - my family is going to hate me for choosing to save a couple of thousand CHF to fly TK instead of LX ... sigh.
Old Nov 2, 12, 3:50 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Looks like the OP was on an ex-GF (or ex-BD?) aircraft. I thought they are gone...

Oh yes - TK in-flight service is the world's slowest... They should finally do something about this...
Old Nov 2, 12, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Looks like the OP was on an ex-GF (or ex-BD?) aircraft. I thought they are gone...

Oh yes - TK in-flight service is the world's slowest... They should finally do something about this...
this was the cabin - with some really distasteful powder-pink accents

on dining - while having desert i remember hearing other people asked for their Main selection. the timing was very strange
Old Nov 2, 12, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
I think when I have flown TK C, nobody has never asked if I wanted a refill in my wine class - always had to ask, and even that hasn't always worked
And the same applied to the TK F when they had it
Old Nov 2, 12, 4:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
I also had the opportunity to fly several flights
with them, including business class. I'm not
going to to into full details, as it will just bore you.

Suffice it to say that their long haul business class
seats (old product) were the worse ever! Would have
demanded my money back had it been revenue.
Angle flat wouldn't even describe them. And their on-board chef?
I'd classify his job as the food re-heater guy.

Make your own choice on whether you choose
this airline, but impression was horrible
and I'll never fly them again.
Old Nov 2, 12, 5:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by deniah View Post
this was the cabin - with some really distasteful powder-pink accents
Looking at the picture, I believe this is the old TK C. C on the ex-GF aircraft was (is?) even worse
Old Nov 2, 12, 6:03 pm

Yes that is the "new" TK...

The plane you flew on is not the one of the new ones advertised heavily by TK. It is either an Airbus A330-200 or Airbus A340-300.

TK has issues with beverage refills during meal services. Since everything is setup in the bar, the F/As have to walk back and forth. TK really needs to use a beverage trolley.

Breakfast - just ask for it and don't expect TK F/As will do anything. They always start breakfast two hours and half prior to landing, which is ridiculous, but that is the TK way. You should just use the call button and ask for the breakfast. My feeling is that they follow the book strictly and will only serve you breakfast after you ask for it.

Turkish Airlines... I hope your staffs are reading this forum. The standard has dropped significantly.

Carfield
Old Nov 5, 12, 1:32 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Definitely an A330-200 - SORRY. The good seats are on the A330-300 or 77W. The seat is crap in comparison to other fully flat C seats. However, better than Y . Service on TK inflight is at best indifferent. Beverage refills will only come if you keep asking. But then the Champagne and wine offered is so underwhelming that I didn't care much for seconds anyways

Food itself was very good including the breakfast, but again you need to ask for everything if you feel things are off. Twice they skipped my main course just forgetting about it in a half-full C cabin - how hard can it be you wonder? Apology? What are you thinking, get outta here Ohh and TK FAs must be the only FAs that I have had stomping around the cabin so hard / heavy that I could feel vibrations of my (fully flat on A330-300) C-seat actually waking me up.

Apart from that it was great - well minus the boarding chaos and the busses in IST to board a full A330 via stairs.
Old Nov 5, 12, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield View Post
They always start breakfast two hours and half prior to landing, which is ridiculous, but that is the TK way.
On the old ACC-LOS-IST flight, they used to serve breakfast immediately on departure from Lagos (around 2am) and that was the only service for the remaining 6 hours of the flight.

If you chose not to eat the breakfast at 2am, you were not able to eat before landing instead. The excuse given was that "it is not safe to re-heat the food". Why they heated all the meals when maybe 2 people in the entire cabin were eating is another question though.
Old Nov 6, 12, 1:32 pm

Best to complain in TK Facebook page. They will def read it there......
Old Nov 19, 12, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I flew TK F JFK-IST and it was probably the best flight I've ever had. The service was amazing. I've also flown TK Y and have experienced the indifferent no re-fill etc service (notably the food was really good for Y).

Originally Posted by harri View Post
And the same applied to the TK F when they had it
Old Nov 20, 12, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
It's always disappointing to hear of people having bad experiences in TK J, I flew exactly the same flight from IST-BKK back in March and loved it - whilst not particularly forthcoming with more drinks, I didn't feel that if I'd asked I would have denied service.

I've got SIN-MAD and LHR-HKG coming up in TK J again so I'm hoping that the service stays consistent with what I've experienced!
Old Nov 20, 12, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by jozdemir View Post
It's always disappointing to hear of people having bad experiences in TK J, I flew exactly the same flight from IST-BKK back in March and loved it - whilst not particularly forthcoming with more drinks, I didn't feel that if I'd asked I would have denied service.

I've got SIN-MAD and LHR-HKG coming up in TK J again so I'm hoping that the service stays consistent with what I've experienced!
I'd be interested to hear more about your experiences - was it the "old" C on a 343? The new C seems great, but I continue to see bad reports on the old product.
Old Nov 20, 12, 11:29 am

While reading Kotil's article in the newest inflight-magazine Skylife going on about how TK is the best airline in the Europe and how the service is so remarkable etc. Obviously king has no clothes. Somebody bashed here about the "chef", i have noticed on my many flights that usually the chef is the hardest working crew member.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: