Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 1: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles, essential programme information

FAQ 1: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles, essential programme information

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:00 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
if you can push it to e+ i would go for it, as u get the 2 free upgrades for 2 years.

from what i have learned there is a soft landing to elite...

the question about requalification after downgrade to elite, i cant answer but i want to know it as well :P
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Hi all,
I've googled and searched the forum but cant get an answer to my query.
I joined M & S in March this year and so far to date I have 38,382 status miles. I'm see that status miles are valid for 12 months but I cant see when I joined M & S to determine when these 38,382 will expire. Obviously I'm chasing Elite and would be a shame to miss out for 1700 miles. My next flight will be around the 15th March next year. However I cant see when exactly I joined M & S to determine when exactly my status miles will expire (if I joined on the 20 March then its all good, but if it was the 10th March then not so)
From what I have read I wont be able to buy 2000 status miles as I'm still in my first year . So how can I see when my status miles expire?
Thanks for any help.

Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Contact them by DM on Twitter @TK_HelpDesk.

They are very quick to respond.

My joining Date and renewal date seem to have slipped by about a week so you might be lucky!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by ironmouse
Hi all,
I've googled and searched the forum but cant get an answer to my query.
I joined M & S in March this year and so far to date I have 38,382 status miles. I'm see that status miles are valid for 12 months but I cant see when I joined M & S to determine when these 38,382 will expire. Obviously I'm chasing Elite and would be a shame to miss out for 1700 miles. My next flight will be around the 15th March next year. However I cant see when exactly I joined M & S to determine when exactly my status miles will expire (if I joined on the 20 March then its all good, but if it was the 10th March then not so)
From what I have read I wont be able to buy 2000 status miles as I'm still in my first year . So how can I see when my status miles expire?
Thanks for any help.

Status miles are valid in rolling 12 month intervals and don't necessarily correlate with the program join date.

So the date of your first flight credited to tk would be the reference you are looking for. Also, check your email because tk usually sends out reminders about when your status miles start expiring when you get close to a new membership tier.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Originally Posted by TPACjv
Status miles are valid in rolling 12 month intervals and don't necessarily correlate with the program join date.

So the date of your first flight credited to tk would be the reference you are looking for. Also, check your email because tk usually sends out reminders about when your status miles start expiring when you get close to a new membership tier.
That could be good to know, as I have had no luck at all with the Help Desk on Twitter, we were back and forth for several messages. It was obvious that they had no idea what status miles are. Finally they sent me a link to the TK feedback website to " file an official claim"! I've now done this and am currently waiting (into the 3rd day)
I mean how hard can this be to see /know when my Status year starts and ends?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Can someone let me know if I purchase a cheap Y ticket and would like to use my TK miles to upgrade it to Business, is there any restrictions to the booking class of the Economy ticket purchased?
I know normally this is limited to the higher bk classes of Y, B, M....

Could not find this anywhere on the new website of M&S.

Thanks in advance
Cheers!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Can someone let me know if I purchase a cheap Y ticket and would like to use my TK miles to upgrade it to Business, is there any restrictions to the booking class of the Economy ticket purchased?
I know normally this is limited to the higher bk classes of Y, B, M....

Could not find this anywhere on the new website of M&S.

Thanks in advance
Cheers!
Higher booking class is the case when you want to upgrade a Star Alliance operated flight other than TK.

There are no restrcitons to upgrade cheap TK ticket.

Only two cases where you cant upgrade are award tickets and N class free tickets issued by travel agents in group bookings
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:47 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by aircommodore

Higher booking class is the case when you want to upgrade a Star Alliance operated flight other than TK.

There are no restrcitons to upgrade cheap TK ticket.

Only two cases where you cant upgrade are award tickets and N class free tickets issued by travel agents in group bookings
Thanks for the info. This sounds good. Sorry, but in additional to this, some extra questions since again it is not really clear on the TK website
- Does the inventory come out from the normal award ticket inventory (i.e.g I-class?) - so if there is a Business classis award, I should be able able to upgrade my ticket?
- can I do this online?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:22 am

Thanks for the info. This sounds good. Sorry, but in additional to this, some extra questions since again it is not really clear on the TK website
- Does the inventory come out from the normal award ticket inventory (i.e.g I-class?) - so if there is a Business classis award, I should be able able to upgrade my ticket?
- can I do this online?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:24 am

Not necessarily. Award and upgrade Biz fares I believe are different.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Retroactive for New Members

I have friends who would like to join Miles&Smiles because TK is the only Star Alliance carrier that serves their home city. My question is, would they be able to retroclaim for flights already taken exactly 1 month, a 4-sector round trip? Can't find info about that anywhere, but most programs allow some sort of retroclaim for new members.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
- can I do this online?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
For upgrades to Business Class, you should check the J class availability instead of I. You should contact the call center or your local sales office for upgrade queries.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Dec 2, 2018 at 9:46 am Reason: adding info.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
I have friends who would like to join Miles&Smiles because TK is the only Star Alliance carrier that serves their home city. My question is, would they be able to retroclaim for flights already taken exactly 1 month, a 4-sector round trip? Can't find info about that anywhere, but most programs allow some sort of retroclaim for new members.
As far as I recall, retroactive claims shouldn’t be possible for flights taken before the sign-up date, but I remember posts here where those claims did get credit. If they have no immediate alternative that suits them better, I’d say give it a go.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, I suppose they have to sign up first and then conduct the retrocredit claim from there. I have no idea what the FFP looks like from a member's point of view, because I have been with anyone who is a member who has happened to log and let me have a look! But I expect there is somewhere within the site interface where you can submit online retroclaims.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
Yes, I suppose they have to sign up first and then conduct the retrocredit claim from there. I have no idea what the FFP looks like from a member's point of view, because I have been with anyone who is a member who has happened to log and let me have a look! But I expect there is somewhere within the site interface where you can submit online retroclaims.
was it TK flights? I did a TK retro-credit on the mobile app recently, it credited instantly (!!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.