Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Family Miles (family account) [Master Thread]

Old Jul 7, 12, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Should be of interest to those newly status-matched to those levels.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...ily-is-smiling

(Apologies if this has already been posted, just got the email and didn't see anything after the date of the press release).

Edit: Any sorry for the typo in the post, stupid iPad doesn't autocorrect a legit misspelling for once ...

Last edited by amolkold; Jul 7, 12 at 6:41 am
Old Jul 7, 12, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Family membership now available for elite and classic plus

So I got an message from TK saying family pooling is now allowed for classic plus and elite too (before only elite plus IIRC). So that is good news and I am contemplating applying, as there will be occasional flights taken by my family members where the miles would just go to waste.

Reading the T&C, they say that for applying you will need to send in a copy of your marriage certificate. Now, I live in a country where marriage is not considered to be the definition of a family. The rules for local FF programs reflects this by recognizing close relatives and cohabitants to be family.
So before sending in a request to TK, I am wondering if anyone here hold a family membership without being married with children?
Old Jul 7, 12, 5:38 pm

Miles&Smiles is definitely going for the wrong direction..
Old Jul 8, 12, 1:57 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Reading the T&C, they say that for applying you will need to send in a copy of your marriage certificate.
This is a very odd requirement, if they had any sense they would require proof of joint residency and nothing more.
Old Jul 8, 12, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Nah, I think it is just a culturally conditioned statement, not a hard fact demand that must be met. I will wait a bit for further comments, and then apply with joint recidency as basis and simply see what they do. Worst case, they turn it down, and I think I will survive that.
Old Jul 9, 12, 12:15 am

Programs: TK MS E+/*G - AFKL FB G/ST E+ - LH MM - AB TB - BWR Diamond - HHo Gold - LCA Plat - Sixt Plat
This family membership is likely to add some more confusion to the program.
What will be the mileage accrual for instance if my child travels in business class but is classic, and I'm elite?
150% status miles for him and 200% award for me?
Old Jul 22, 12, 1:44 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
My family and I are enrolled in the Family Membership program and there are a few things to note:

If you ever want to convert bonus miles to status miles to upgrade a family member's card status, it is not possible. Since all of the miles earned by family members (except the master account, of course) automatically go into the master account, these family members always have a "0" balance in their account total.

Also, my wife and daughter were recently traveling and wanted to upgrade their seats at the check in counter. However, they were not able to because neither had any miles in their accounts, and since I wasn't traveling with them, they wouldn't allow them to use our Family account.

Seems that there are some tweaks that need to be done with this program. In general it's nice, but there are some issues that actually penalize you by joining.
Old Jul 22, 12, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by egokcen View Post
... Since all of the miles earned by family members (except the master account, of course) automatically go into the master account, these family members always have a "0" balance in their account total.
Just to make sure I read you right: You are talking about award miles only, right? Status miles will still credit to each individual as a normal account?

If this is the case, I believe they stated this pretty clearly in the linked pages above. It is a "pooling" account, where you can pool award miles from family members to your own account.
Old Jul 23, 12, 3:51 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
Just to make sure I read you right: You are talking about award miles only, right? Status miles will still credit to each individual as a normal account?

If this is the case, I believe they stated this pretty clearly in the linked pages above. It is a "pooling" account, where you can pool award miles from family members to your own account.
Yes, you are correct that it is the award miles. The actual status miles earned are credited to each individual. But if you want to use the award miles to exchange for more status miles (e.g. to maintain or upgrade the member level), you can't do it. And again, if the "master" account holder is not with the traveling family member, no seat upgrades can be done at the check in counter.
Old Aug 25, 12, 11:52 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Reading the T&C, they say that for applying you will need to send in a copy of your marriage certificate. Now, I live in a country where marriage is not considered to be the definition of a family. The rules for local FF programs reflects this by recognizing close relatives and cohabitants to be family.
So before sending in a request to TK, I am wondering if anyone here hold a family membership without being married with children?
OZ requires that too, they even need all the birth certificates for the kids that show our names.
Old Aug 25, 12, 11:55 am

I'm tempted by this too but does everyone in the family have to be Classic Plus in order to set up a family account?
Old Sep 12, 12, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA-Gold, TK*G, KLM-Gold, SPG-Plat, Sixt-Plat, Avis-Pres, TsogoSun-Pres
Classic Plus/Elite Memers now eligible for Family Miles (family membership)

Sounds interesting. I recently got TK*G through a status match.

Is my TK*G status shared with my wife too? Or will she stay on the classic status and just earn miles for our joint account?
Old Sep 12, 12, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by brightshark View Post
Sounds interesting. I recently got TK*G through a status match.

Is my TK*G status shared with my wife too? Or will she stay on the classic status and just earn miles for our joint account?
Status will be earned as normal, the 'normal' miles accumulate in the family account.
Old Sep 12, 12, 4:50 pm

Programs: AF PL/A|Club PL/TK E
need TK award ticket suggestion

2 of my family members (not my spouse so not eligible for family program) are having in each account 10000miles expiring end of 2012, since they are not in Europe and will not fly with TK before 2013, they gave it to me. Problem : I'm based in Paris, a oneway award ticket in Y needs 12000miles. I tried to buy award miles but because the account holders didn't fly this year (actually one of them did fly with *A but forget to keep the boarding pass) I cannot. What can I do with their 2 x 10000miles? Could any one give me some suggestion?
Old Sep 20, 12, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by julien2062 View Post
2 of my family members (not my spouse so not eligible for family program) are having in each account 10000miles expiring end of 2012, since they are not in Europe and will not fly with TK before 2013, they gave it to me. Problem : I'm based in Paris, a oneway award ticket in Y needs 12000miles. I tried to buy award miles but because the account holders didn't fly this year (actually one of them did fly with *A but forget to keep the boarding pass) I cannot. What can I do with their 2 x 10000miles? Could any one give me some suggestion?
What about non-flight award?

If you want to earn points, then you can rent a car or stay at a hotel etc.

10k is not that useful.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: