FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Flying into Cyprus (Ercan) & Options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1351724-flying-into-cyprus-ercan-options.html)

lax.sea.jnu Dec 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by johnirvine (Post 29157715)
You are unfortunately not correct. The Foreign Ministry of Cyprus has recently tightened up checks and groups of tourists from Lebanon, Israel and Russia have been denied entry to the ROC when it became evident that they were intending to travel to the TRNC. Passport checks at the Green Line in Nicosia have also been tightened recently and the ROC police are even examining the identity documents of passengers in Cyprus-registered cars which was not done previously. Anyone not holding an EU passport is subject to special checks and, if the police find recent Turkish entry stamps, the result will be certain denial of entry. As someone who has crossed the border around 500 times to visit relatives, I know what I am talking about.

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the feedback I received, I decided to travel from HTY to ATH (via IST) on my return so that I wouldn't have to cross back into the RoC over land once I've left via Ercan airport. From what you're saying though, it seems there may be a risk in entering Larnaca airport with a Turkish visa in my passport? The US Dept of State says that Americans can enter the TRNC, but may have difficulty if they are trying to enter the RoC from TRNC without having originally arrived in Cyprus through Larnaca or Paphos.

Would it be unwise to say I have plans to leave the island via the TRNC? I suppose worst case scenario, I would be denied entry and sent back to London? Thanks.

siberslava Dec 10, 2017 9:37 pm

The problem for you is the fact that you are leaving the island from an unrecognized point of entry/departure. You are going to have issues on your reentry even if you try to return via Athens; when you land again in RoC they will see you don't have an exit stamp and questions will arise. It sucks, but I don't think there is anyway around this issue in your case. You will need to find a way to make the trip in a proper way, as inconvenient as it is.

lax.sea.jnu Dec 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by siberslava (Post 29158832)
The problem for you is the fact that you are leaving the island from an unrecognized point of entry/departure. You are going to have issues on your reentry even if you try to return via Athens; when you land again in RoC they will see you don't have an exit stamp and questions will arise. It sucks, but I don't think there is anyway around this issue in your case. You will need to find a way to make the trip in a proper way, as inconvenient as it is.

Thanks, but to clarify, I've changed my plans so I wouldn't have to reenter the RoC. My new itinerary is as follows:

SFO-LHR-LCA//ECN-HTY-IST-ATH-LHR-SFO

So I won't be reentering the RoC anytime soon, but foresee the following risks:

1) Being questioned about a Turkish visa in my passport.

2) Being asked to show a return flight. I can show my flight leaving the EU from ATH via LHR, and suppose I could say I hadn't yet decided when I'm leaving Cyprus? I could also book a refundable ticket to ATH if need be.

Thanks for letting know if you believe the above itinerary poses any risk.

johnirvine Dec 11, 2017 12:56 am

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 29158904)
Thanks, but to clarify, I've changed my plans so I wouldn't have to reenter the RoC. My new itinerary is as follows:

SFO-LHR-LCA//ECN-HTY-IST-ATH-LHR-SFO

So I won't be reentering the RoC anytime soon, but foresee the following risks:

1) Being questioned about a Turkish visa in my passport.

2) Being asked to show a return flight. I can show my flight leaving the EU from ATH via LHR, and suppose I could say I hadn't yet decided when I'm leaving Cyprus? I could also book a refundable ticket to ATH if need be.

Thanks for letting know if you believe the above itinerary poses any risk.

For me, your new itinerary is fine and should not cause you any difficulties within Europe. You will probably, however, receive an SSSS on your return to the US. Hatay is an airport used frequently by Islamic fighters and the US authorities may well view your travel schedule with some scepticism.

hfly Dec 11, 2017 2:23 am

An experience that I had awhile ago, so is probably not valid:

Having arrived in Larnaca and passing the border with the intent of flying Ercan-IST.

Immigration official: How will you be leaving Cyprus?
Me: From Ercan
I.O.: If you do that you will not be allowed to enter Cyprus again.
Me: That's o.k. I do not intend on coming back.

I was let through.

The next year, when I entered Cyprus again, no problems whatsoever.