Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Questions: Delay TK9 IST-LAX; No-show Reward booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite

Hello!

Preparing my TK journey including the Premiun Eco MR HKG-IST-LAX I wonder that TK 9 IST-LAX did arrive late everyday last week. Does anyone know the reason and if delays will continue this week? I need to know that as I have an onward booking (different ticket) in LAX with tight timing and think about to cancel it.

Regarding the onward journey it would be interesting for me, what happens with my award ticket if I does not show up. It is an United flight and the award ticket was booked with TK using Miles&Smiles. Would TK refund miles and taxes for this ticket in case of no-show?

Thank you for help.

Best regards,
Henrik
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
When is your flight? Typically I was able to walk fast after getting off the plane and be among first at security. If no queue, you are out of terminal in 20 minutes. However, you should plan a full hour because of luggage and potential queue at security (Korean Air and Cathay flights).

I would not book anything before 17:30 out of LAX.

If TK arrives late and you have a flight on a different ticket out of LAX, you are out of luck, TK won't guarantee anything.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by CAlex
When is your flight? Typically I was able to walk fast after getting off the plane and be among first at security. If no queue, you are out of terminal in 20 minutes. However, you should plan a full hour because of luggage and potential queue at security (Korean Air and Cathay flights).

I would not book anything before 17:30 out of LAX.

If TK arrives late and you have a flight on a different ticket out of LAX, you are out of luck, TK won't guarantee anything.
20mins at LAX? I wish.. There will be queues when you arrive and plan 2.5-3.5hours for your connection and switching terminals. IST-LAX flight doesn't leave on the busiest hour but prepare for delays on the ground too. IST is congested.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

Originally I had three hours to change to the United terminal for my onward flight to HNL (departs 6:29 p.m.). But then TK had a schedule change, so that my scheduled time for change reduced to two hours. As TK 9 was delayed by at least one hour everyday the last week this might not be enough.

Best regards,
cimber
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I know it was an exception, I was just as surprised. I was on TK9 on 08-Jan when we touched-down at 15:05 in LAX and got off the plane at 15:35. Being in Comfort Class I was able to get out among the first and walk at fast pace to be the first one at Security (3 queues available, each with 2-3 agents). To my surprise, there was nobody in the queue, so at 15:50 I was already waiting for luggage. My piece was the third one to come out the belt (*A priority tag), so at 15:55 I was shaking hands with my friends who came to pick me up from the airport

18:30 should still be fine. Try to make sure you are checked-in to onward flight and that you don't have to pay any difference. If your luggage is checked-in all the way to HNL, you will be able to drop it on your way out of International terminal, so you only need to make sure you make it by 17:50 in the correct terminal for your onward flight.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
I was on the IST - LAX flight on March 28, I originally had a 3 hr layover in LAX before connecting on a separately ticketed flight. About 2 weeks before there was a TK schedule chage and TK pushed bak an hour, so only a 2 hr layover. Well, the flight was delayed leaving IST by about 2 hrs 15 min due to the incoming plane being late. Monitors foretold of the 1 hr delay in boarding time, but when I left the lounge the concierge told me 1 hr and 20 min delay, even up to the final boarding there was no update - only 1 hr delay. Was told that TK reps would meet us at LAX to assist in rescheduling. Flight arrived at LAX 2 hrs 30 min late. On deboarding was also told (when asked TK rep at gate) that somebody would be available to assist. End result - nobody around, no help and had to deal with rebooking flight and getting hotel on my own. Did not help that several hotels were already overbooked for that night.

Otherwise, yes, excellent service in the air, but on the ground it is chaotic. Note that when boarding it is a free for all in IST, no calling of business, stargold, etc, just open the door and charge in since the boarding passes are collected prior to entering the waiting area (was same for IST - HKG flight). Even boarding in HKG was disorganized, with both business and comfort class in one line and all others in another but boarding at same time, with the business and comfort class pax having to squeeze in behind the gate desk to enter through the one door opened to the jetway. LAX boarding was better but still disorganized, with business boarding first. And never any boarding anouncements, no recognition of star gold etc, you just have to know that star gold boards with business.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by cimber
Hello!

Preparing my TK journey including the Premiun Eco MR HKG-IST-LAX I wonder that TK 9 IST-LAX did arrive late everyday last week. Does anyone know the reason and if delays will continue this week? I need to know that as I have an onward booking (different ticket) in LAX with tight timing and think about to cancel it.

Regarding the onward journey it would be interesting for me, what happens with my award ticket if I does not show up. It is an United flight and the award ticket was booked with TK using Miles&Smiles. Would TK refund miles and taxes for this ticket in case of no-show?

Thank you for help.

Best regards,
Henrik
No shows would be considered as having used the ticket. You'd be lucky if you get yoru taxes back. But otherwise, SAYONARA points and $$ !
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I flew IST-LAX in late February. I was in comfort class,the plane left IST only about 30 minutes late, in LAX I was the first few off plane, and cleared customs, immigration in under 10 minutes. but the lines were very short. this is not the norm for LAX. one day can be a half hour the next 1.5 hours. The big time saver is having just carry on luggage. luggage can delay u from a half hour to an hour plus. On a rt HKG=IST=LAX Turkish air never looked at my carry on nor weighed it. lots of overhead space on plane.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
No shows would be considered as having used the ticket. You'd be lucky if you get yoru taxes back. But otherwise, SAYONARA points and $$ !
Thank you for your reply.

However, I have to correct you.

Meanwhile I have contacted TK Hotline and they gave me different information. If the flight coupon is not used, they will refund Miles and taxes against a minor charge. The charge is 20 Euro when cancelled prior departure and 40 Euro when not cancelled before.

Best regards,
cimber
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Yes exactly in a normal case but we are talking of TK here. The no show fee is 20 or 40 euros depending on your case as Cimber posted. I have changed a reward booking a few hours after departure, and after the guy consulted a few supervisors, they came up with 20e. But expect to spend at least an hour on the phone for such a complicated request.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Am I the only one who is wondering why cimber is flying from HKG to HNL via IST and LAX? If you have that much time on your hands, why are tight connections so important? Or is this intended to be a two airline MR? Not trying to be critical, just asking.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
Am I the only one who is wondering why cimber is flying from HKG to HNL via IST and LAX? If you have that much time on your hands, why are tight connections so important? Or is this intended to be a two airline MR? Not trying to be critical, just asking.
Part of MR from HKG-IST-LAX. When TK first introduced CC on this route they had a mistake fare for a very brief time but you have to start in HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.