Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by shuly
The airside hotel is so expensive that it's much cheaper to book a hotel in the city, even when one adds the cost of the visa and transportation back and forth. In this case, we're talking about almost 24 hours: I would no doubt get out of the airport.

Airport hotels (4-5 stars) should be around 40-80 euro per night. There are excellent offers in the city as well.

Shuly
I suggested the airside hotel because OP expressed a wish to remain airside, but agree with shuly here.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

If your flight is on TK and on the same ticket, you can have your bag checked through to final destination and choose to stay airside during your transit.

I suggest you book the TAV airside hotel for a few hours in your situation for a decent chance of sleep. The lounge beats the rest of the Terminal for an overnight stay, but if given a choice, I’d pick the hotel.
It's great to hear that I can thru check my bag and stay airside. It's one ticket with TK. I like Turkey, but $60 just to enter for about 15hrs is too expensive for me, and I've heard a good thing or two about TK lounge, should be open 24 hours.

Checked on TIMATIC with a 24hrs connection at IST, it says ok with no visa. Thanks guys!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by maverikbc
..., and I've heard a good thing or two about TK lounge, should be open 24 hours.
Check out the movie theater in the TK lounge if you want to nap a bit.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby

Check out the movie theater in the TK lounge if you want to nap a bit.
Yes, that's what I've read in one of reviews, I didn't hesitate to book with an overnight connection. I wonder if there are many people like myself lol.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Coming to think of it, TK should have a copy of a 777 business class cabin in the their lounge where people can have a nap on a lie-flat bed.
Edvard likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: BRK-B
Fast track for transfer at IST

I am flying Economy on TK with TG*G status, are there any security fast track for the transfer flight?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Noppasit
I am flying Economy on TK with TG*G status, are there any security fast track for the transfer flight?
Theoretically yes.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby
Coming to think of it, TK should have a copy of a 777 business class cabin in the their lounge where people can have a nap on a lie-flat bed.
That's even better, and a clever marketing! I'm looking forward to my transit at IST. I can count airports where I enjoy transit / lounge in only one hand.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
How does Int to Dom work? Bags checked through to arrival airport. Through Immigration at Ataturk then out through customs or is there a walk way to use to the Dom Term?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:47 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
How does Int to Dom work? Bags checked through to arrival airport. Through Immigration at Ataturk then out through customs or is there a walk way to use to the Dom Term?
Through immigration and customs, keep left and follow the signs.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:14 pm

Domestic Economy transfer to International J

We are flying out of Denizli in economy on a ticket purchased online. We land at IST at 19:30.

Our next flight is part of a reward flight to DXB in J leaving at 00:25.

can we get TK to check our bags through although on separate itineraries? Do we have enough time to transfer from domestic to International terminal? Will we have any time left for the TK lounge?

thanks in advance!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond ? TK*E
can we get TK to check our bags through although on separate itineraries?
Yes, ask it in Denizli directly. I had the same from Kayseri-IST-Cologne and was not a problem.

Do we have enough time to transfer from domestic to International terminal?
Yes
Will we have any time left for the TK lounge?
Yes
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
I am not new going through IST on TK-TK connection but I have a new scenario in a few weeks. Just want to understand what’s the process

arrival from BKK at 4am (TK65) business class
onward connection to KBP Kiev at 605am with UKraine Airlines. Economy class.
Separate ticket and With luggage. I will have UIA mobile/web boarding pass. Last luggage drop is 525am.

I will try to interline the bag in BKK but if that is not possible, should I go through passport control and collect my bags, shower in the arrival lounge then re-check in? Is baggage delivery efficient in IST? And it will arrive within 45min of arrival? This will be my preferred method as I prefer to freshen up as I have a busy day ahead after that.

Or should I go to transfer desk to get my baggage moved at backend? Where is the transfer desk, is it before or after transfer security checkpoint? Specifically for UIA.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

If your bags are checked to IST you will have to collect them; the transfer desk won't be able to do anything for you. So if you can't interline the luggage all the way to KBP, your plan 1 seems to be the only option. A bit risky, I would say: two hours are not really a lot of time for this.

Shuly
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:58 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
But TK is really good with interlining bags. I have never been rejected with a request to add a next flight that was a separate ticket. BKK (outsourced, but wearing TK uniforms) check-in agents are really nice and there is always a TK representative around.

Rule of thumb: ask nicely & smile - remember that they do you a favor.
SQueeze likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.