Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
the thread is about transfers & transit, not taking a taxi please

Originally Posted by potjernik
Seriously? It is Istanbul dude. Hop on a taxi and have him drop you off at Sultanahmet. It will take about 30 minutes and about 50 TRY (13 USD). And you'll see why Istanbul use to be the center of the world.
Wait a Er, minute...........792 entries into practical advice on "transferring & transit in IST" & potjernik suggests going in town?? I won't even debate the merits of this (ridiculous) point. Its in the wrong place.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:45 pm

There was a time when I would have suggest too heading into town for a longer layover. Sadly, those times are over..
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Ha ha, that was from a few years ago, thanks for the late response.
Oops. Must have gotten the pages confused somehow. dad brain

Was wondering why a TK veteran like you would ask.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
Originally Posted by splicer100
I have been to Istanbul before and don’t really want to pay to enter Istanbul for a few hours. I know SIN has a lot going on at the airport. Just curious if IST has anything interesting at the airport to check out.
Ah sorry, glanced over your question and misread it. I actually don't think there is anything interesting outside the lounge. There are some massage services. But nothing really beyond the usual shopping. Yes, SIN has a LOT. Pool, cinema, etc. But not IST.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Wait a Er, minute...........792 entries into practical advice on "transferring & transit in IST" & potjernik suggests going in town?? I won't even debate the merits of this (ridiculous) point. Its in the wrong place.
No, you won't debate it. But you'll still be a smart-... and instead of just rolling your eyes on a stupid post, you'll flame it.

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
There was a time when I would have suggest too heading into town for a longer layover. Sadly, those times are over..
Why? With the new road, access to the city is much faster. Unless you're thinking of security issues.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Hello.

I am *G flying with Turkish next January. I have a long layover (almost 8 hours) in IST and was thinking about visiting the city at nigh and having dinner somewhere in the city. My flight arrives around 6pm so I don't qualify for the Turkish tours.

I read that IST immigration and customs takes a lot of time but being *G that might help (?) to cut times. Anyway, wife is Japanese so she doesn't need a visa, but I am from Spain and would need to apply for those e-visas. What do you recommend? Any tips?

Where can store my hand luggage during the layover? (After security? Or should I storage it in the *G Lounge?)
Do you recommend getting cash? I was thinking that using Uber and a credit card to pay for dinner would be enough, and in case of emergency I could just get cash at any ATM in the city.

What do you recommend me to visit at night?

Thank you!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:53 pm

I've never done the short visit to the city myself, but I think it's doable. I'd suggest leaving your hand luggage in the TK *G lounge. They have lockers. Most places accept credit cards, but cash is always best. The airport has ATMs.

With a 8-hr. layover, I'd leave at least 2hrs. grace to return the airport. So, with 5.5 - 6hrs. to spare, I'd say you have plenty of time to visit various parts of the city for sightseeing and a meal. The museums might be closed, but the architecture, sights, smells, and Bosphorus views are great.
- Taksim, Sultanahmet, Bebek, Ortaky. Lots to see and do. To be safe, plan for 50min each way
- Atakoy. Not much, but some malls, shops and restaurants, right by the marina. Only 15min each way

Stay close to the main public areas and don't let strangers chat you up (like any big city, anywhere) - Enjoy!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by INEC
I've never done the short visit to the city myself, but I think it's doable. I'd suggest leaving your hand luggage in the TK *G lounge. They have lockers. Most places accept credit cards, but cash is always best. The airport has ATMs.

With a 8-hr. layover, I'd leave at least 2hrs. grace to return the airport. So, with 5.5 - 6hrs. to spare, I'd say you have plenty of time to visit various parts of the city for sightseeing and a meal. The museums might be closed, but the architecture, sights, smells, and Bosphorus views are great.
- Taksim, Sultanahmet, Bebek, Ortaky. Lots to see and do. To be safe, plan for 50min each way
- Atakoy. Not much, but some malls, shops and restaurants, right by the marina. Only 15min each way

Stay close to the main public areas and don't let strangers chat you up (like any big city, anywhere) - Enjoy!
Thank you for your answer!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
Originally Posted by sodaisei
I read that IST immigration and customs takes a lot of time but being *G that might help (?) to cut times.
Yes, there is a special section for *G at the immigration, which makes process easy. Just look for it, it is near the main immigration section and it is easy to miss.

Where can store my hand luggage during the layover? (After security? Or should I storage it in the *G Lounge?)
It is more practical to store it in luggage storage than in the lounge. The storage is on the far right side after you exit from the customs. Note, you can only pay with cash for the storage.

Do you recommend getting cash? I was thinking that using Uber and a credit card to pay for dinner would be enough, and in case of emergency I could just get cash at any ATM in the city.
Get cash. Ubers are not working well in Istanbul, it is mostly Uber limo and not readily available. Taxis don't really take cards. There are ATMs on the right side after you exit immigration, on your way to luggage storage/

What do you recommend me to visit at night?
If first time in Istanbul, just go to Sultanahmet area where Agia Sophia is.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by potjernik
Yes, there is a special section for *G at the immigration, which makes process easy. Just look for it, it is near the main immigration section and it is easy to miss.

It is more practical to store it in luggage storage than in the lounge. The storage is on the far right side after you exit from the customs. Note, you can only pay with cash for the storage.

Get cash. Ubers are not working well in Istanbul, it is mostly Uber limo and not readily available. Taxis don't really take cards. There are ATMs on the right side after you exit immigration, on your way to luggage storage/

If first time in Istanbul, just go to Sultanahmet area where Agia Sophia is.
Thank you for your answer! I will get some cash then.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:43 am

Quick Q - arriving off an SQ flight in J (award ticket) connecting to TK on a cash ticket - would I get access to the TK lounge if I book Y on the basis of my incoming BP or do I need to be in J on the outbound as well?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:09 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Quick Q - arriving off an SQ flight in J (award ticket) connecting to TK on a cash ticket - would I get access to the TK lounge if I book Y on the basis of my incoming BP or do I need to be in J on the outbound as well?
You need to be in J on the outbound or have Star Alliance Gold status.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Hi, all --

I'll be transferring in IST for the first time at the end of next week on BUD-IST-ORD with a 1:40 layover.

What should I expect in terms of transit time? Will I have to go through transit security? I assume I will have to get to the IST-ORD gate a little early to answer the security questions for US-bound flights.

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
You need to be in J on the outbound or have Star Alliance Gold status.
Got it - thanks! Just found out about a status match challenge between Shangri-La and SQ so I should be *Gold anyway, but may go for J if the price is right
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by dwebb
Hi, all --

I'll be transferring in IST for the first time at the end of next week on BUD-IST-ORD with a 1:40 layover.

What should I expect in terms of transit time? Will I have to go through transit security? I assume I will have to get to the IST-ORD gate a little early to answer the security questions for US-bound flights.

Thanks!
No security as you arrive from an EU country and Turkey (unilaterally) honors EU security.

There is security check at the gate - passport check, destination address for the first night (US requirement) unless collected n BUD, hand baggage check. So yes - be earlier at the gate.

PS. Address info not is needed if you are an EU citizen or Green Card holder.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by TPJ
No security as you arrive from an EU country and Turkey (unilaterally) honors EU security.

There is security check at the gate - passport check, destination address for the first night (US requirement) unless collected n BUD, hand baggage check. So yes - be earlier at the gate.

PS. Address info not is needed if you are an EU citizen or Green Card holder.
Does this include confiscating water bottles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.