Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Welcome to Flyertalk. For questions such as this one, please use the IST connection masterthread.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Istanbul - Intl to Domestic on Separate Tickets

We will be flying into Istanbul (business on Turkish Air), arriving at 5:30pm and then looking to take a flight out to Izmir the same day.

Ticketed separately, since the international leg was an award ticket.

Would 3.5 hours be enough time to clear customs/immigration, change terminals and then check back in?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Dan Carlton
We will be flying into Istanbul (business on Turkish Air), arriving at 5:30pm and then looking to take a flight out to Izmir the same day.

Ticketed separately, since the international leg was an award ticket.

Would 3.5 hours be enough time to clear customs/immigration, change terminals and then check back in?
Welcome to FT and the TK forums, Dan!

3.5h is definitely enough to make that connection if everything runs on time. It's worth noting that you have Fast Track immigration access at IST as a J passenger.

Travel safe,

MiamiFlyer8
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Welcome to FT and the TK forums, Dan!

3.5h is definitely enough to make that connection if everything runs on time. It's worth noting that you have Fast Track immigration access at IST as a J passenger.

Travel safe,

MiamiFlyer8
Thanks. I did not know that, helpful.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Bigmwalker
Hi there

I am looking to fly London Gatwick to Gazipasa with a connection in Istanbul. Both flights are with Turkish Airlines. I want to know if 1 hour and 15 minutes is enough time between flights to transfer ?

Many thanks
If flying J or with *G it is possible but I don't think I would risk it unless it was on the same ticket and note that TK is unlikely to put you up in a hotel for a missed domestic flight.

You could also look at flying into AYT, a taxi to Alanya should set you back 250-300 TRY
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Dan Carlton
Thanks. I did not know that, helpful.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
Thanks for the info. I had the exact same plan of going J to Istanbul and changing to domestic same day to Izmir. But after reading State Department post, I am having second thoughts. Is it safe for US citizens to travel in that area?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by bartonhill
Thanks for the info. I had the exact same plan of going J to Istanbul and changing to domestic same day to Izmir. But after reading State Department post, I am having second thoughts. Is it safe for US citizens to travel in that area?
Considering even Germany - who basically took all the crap from Erdogan in the last years and swallowed it - has (finally!) set some firm warning to make trips to Turkey (Still not hard enough imho, but at least they increased the warning) AND, that's probably much more meaningful, told German companies NOT to invest into Turkey anymore (they'll lose any protection that Germany used to give for this kind of deals) it's quite serious.

Yes, right now going to Izmir is still fine, but who knows where Erdogan will "lead" Turkey next to? Unless it's an absolutely necessary business trip, I'd probably try to avoid Turkey altogether. Bad behaviour shouldn't be supported by tourist money.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
transit security from EU country.

I have a question about the transfer at IST airport.
When arriving from AMS (on Turkish flight) and transfing to another Turkish international flight with the BP can i bypass the transit security when arriving in Istanbul?
I heard in the passed that when arriving on a EU flight with TK they would let the people with connections and a BP go straight to the departure level instead to the transit security.
Is this still happening and is it applicable when arriving from a AMS (Amsterdam Schiphol) flight.
I presume that this is only possible if the plane is docked to the terminal directly.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
I arrived from DUB to a remote stand and we were bussed to terminal. We did not need to clear security again. With my onwards boarding card I was into the terminal airside and walked to the lounge. I would imagine AMS is the same.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes, OSS is still applied at IST for all flights coming from the EU (but, bizzarely, not Switzerland).

It does not matter if you have a jetbridge (in which case you can simply go "up" to the departure level through it) or arrive by bus (in which case they let you off at a spot from where there are escalators up that bypass transit security).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
When arriving from AMS you should be allowed to proceed straight to the departure level.

After leaving the aircraft there is a point where the aerobridge splits into 2; you take the right lane and walk upwards and ending in the departures hall. If the right lane is blocked/non-accessible and you have to take the left lane, you will end up at arrival level and need to clear boarding pass check and security before being allowed to take the escalators up to departure level).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Next month I will have an 8 hour layover at IST, arriving SQ J (from SIN) and departing TK J (to VNO), separate tickets.

I don't particularly want to sit in the lounge for all this time, and would prefer to visit the lounge on arrival for a spot of breakfast and a freshen up, and then head out into the city for a bit of sightseeing, before returning to the airport for my flight.

Would this be straightforward, or even possible?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Grace B
Next month I will have an 8 hour layover at IST, arriving SQ J (from SIN) and departing TK J (to VNO), separate tickets.

I don't particularly want to sit in the lounge for all this time, and would prefer to visit the lounge on arrival for a spot of breakfast and a freshen up, and then head out into the city for a bit of sightseeing, before returning to the airport for my flight.

Would this be straightforward, or even possible?
The arrival lounge would be perfect, if the timing, and your status fit. But there's probably mismatch in there somewhere.

Transfer into the departure area can be straightforward or it can include the security business: eight hours can melt away in queues and freshening up etc, so you might not have much time to get out of the system into the city then back again, through security and back into the lounge...

If you are intent on a visit to the city, and it's certainly worth it, then you're better off concentrating on that project and leave the freshening up until you return to the airport and TK's lounge.

I reckon it's good to have a focus - and a slightly different thing to do would be to visit the Istanbul Modern in Karakoy, on the Bosporous below Beyoglu/Taksim.

It's a delightful gallery with gorgeous views over the water to both Asia and Topkapi, and a beautiful restaurant/cafe sharing those views. Without time on your side you'd need a taxi, otherwise metro and tram would do it.

http://www.istanbulmodern.org/en
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The OP seem to suggest visiting the CIP/TK lounge at departure level/airside before proceeding to landside/the city (rather than the TK arrival lounge).

There is a lift (or stairs?) in the departure hall that will take you down to arrivals level. The lift is near the place where you come up with the escalator from security check at arrivals hall (as I recall it the lift is on the back side; turn 2x left once you come up on the escalator from arrival hall)

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 18, 2017 at 3:33 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.