Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
6 hours at IST

I have a 6 hour layover at IST in Nov and was wondering what my options are.

Is that enough time to go and grab some sights?

I get in at 1400 and depart 2000 I am travelling in J on TK

I could just sit in the lounge and drink my self to oblivion but seems a bit of a waste.

Any tips would be welcome
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by dewby
I have a 6 hour layover at IST in Nov and was wondering what my options are.

Is that enough time to go and grab some sights?

I get in at 1400 and depart 2000 I am travelling in J on TK

I could just sit in the lounge and drink my self to oblivion but seems a bit of a waste.

Any tips would be welcome
You would have the time to visit the Sultanahmet area (Blue Mosque),Hagia Sophia. If you decide to do this, and if you need a visa to enter Turkey, I would apply online to save a bit of time in the Airport at immigration. Taxis are available for about $20 US each way from IST to this area. Public transportation is much cheaper (about $3 US). You need to be back at the Airport by 18:00 for security check and airline check-in; if you have already your connecting boarding pass it will be quicker. Make sure to have any luggage tagged to your final destination to avoid waiting at customs area. Good luck!
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cagcag
You would have the time to visit the Sultanahmet area (Blue Mosque),Hagia Sophia. If you decide to do this, and if you need a visa to enter Turkey, I would apply online to save a bit of time in the Airport at immigration. Taxis are available for about $20 US each way from IST to this area. Public transportation is much cheaper (about $3 US). You need to be back at the Airport by 18:00 for security check and airline check-in; if you have already your connecting boarding pass it will be quicker. Make sure to have any luggage tagged to your final destination to avoid waiting at customs area. Good luck!
Brilliant thank you.

I don't need a visa for entry so that should not be an issue. I think TK has a separate entry for j passengers so that should be quick too.

Coming from TLV so not sure if my luggage will be sent through? Both flights are with TK so fingers crossed.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
You'll do passport formalities in IST, and the proceed over to domestic terminal. You will claim your bags in Antalya and go through Customs formalities there.

Baggage Clearance regulations::
Baggage is cleared at the airport of entry in Turkey.

Exempt: baggage of transit passengers with a connection within Turkey to an airport with customs facilities.

Turkish airports with customs facilities are: Adana (ADA), Ankara (ESB), Antalya (AYT), Bodrum (BJV), Dalaman (DLM), Denizli (DNZ), Erzurum (EZR), Gaziantep (GZT), Hatay (HTY), Istanbul Ataturk (IST), Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen (SAW), Izmir (ADB), Kayseri (ASR), Malatya (MLX), Nevsehir (NAV), Samsun (SZF), Sivas (VAS) and Trabzon (TZX).

Originally Posted by Gdesai
I am flying TK from Houston > Istanbul > Antalya this week.

I only have 1.5 hours from when I land in Istanbul to when I need to catch my flight to Antalya.

I already got an e-visa.

1. Do I need to claim my bag in Istanbul?
2. Will 1.5 hours be enough to get on my Antalya flight with immigration (all Turkish Airlines, and assuming there aren't delays)?

Cheers,
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by siberslava
You'll do passport formalities in IST, and the proceed over to domestic terminal. You will claim your bags in Antalya and go through Customs formalities there.

Baggage Clearance regulations::
Baggage is cleared at the airport of entry in Turkey.

Exempt: baggage of transit passengers with a connection within Turkey to an airport with customs facilities.

Turkish airports with customs facilities are: Adana (ADA), Ankara (ESB), Antalya (AYT), Bodrum (BJV), Dalaman (DLM), Denizli (DNZ), Erzurum (EZR), Gaziantep (GZT), Hatay (HTY), Istanbul Ataturk (IST), Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen (SAW), Izmir (ADB), Kayseri (ASR), Malatya (MLX), Nevsehir (NAV), Samsun (SZF), Sivas (VAS) and Trabzon (TZX).
I am flying from Phx to ASR via IAH and IST on Turkish Airlines so it appears from above that I can check my bags in PHX and take them through customs in ASR rather than pick them up and recheck them in IST. Is that true?
How do I make sure the bags are tagged correctly so they don't get sent to baggage claim in IST?

Last edited by scottinaz; Oct 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm Reason: missing information
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by scottinaz
I am flying from Phx to ASR via IAH and IST on Turkish Airlines so it appears from above that I can check my bags in PHX and take them through customs in ASR rather than pick them up and recheck them in IST. Is that true?
How do I make sure the bags are tagged correctly so they don't get sent to baggage claim in IST?
Are you on one ticket/PNR or two?
It sounds like you might be on a combination of US and TK?
If so and on one ticket/PNR then the check-in agent will tag the bags all the way to ASR.
However, if you are on two separate tickets/PNRs then your difficulty will not be in IST but in PHX as the US agent may not put your bags all the way through. You may have to pick them up in IAH and re-check.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm Reason: added US thread link on separate PNRs
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:05 pm

Not sure how I would know if it was on separate PNRs, I booked it all through USAIR and the entire itinerary appears on USAIR but the flights are actually United to IAH and Turkish Air to IST and ASR. There are separate reservation numbers for each airline (UA and TK) but they appear under the same reservation in the USAIR website.
So it appears if UA will tag them to ASR then I should be fine and if they are tagged for ASR then TK will know not to send them to baggage claim in IST.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottinaz
Not sure how I would know if it was on separate PNRs, I booked it all through USAIR and the entire itinerary appears on USAIR but the flights are actually United to IAH and Turkish Air to IST and ASR. There are separate reservation numbers for each airline (UA and TK) but they appear under the same reservation in the USAIR website.
So it appears if UA will tag them to ASR then I should be fine and if they are tagged for ASR then TK will know not to send them to baggage claim in IST.
You will be fine. You are on one PNR/reservation. Your bags will through to your final destination.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You will be fine. You are on one PNR/reservation. Your bags will through to your final destination.
Thank you very much. It would have never occurred to me to not pickup my bags in Istanbul but this will definitely same me time and effort.
thanks
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:43 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Somewhat confused re transit and lounge access from reading the above posts:

I'm flying SIN-IST-CDG. While transiting in IST do I need to proceed through normal security (and hope the TK E queue is open), then into departure area, then to lounge OR

is there a straight entrance into the lounge via a dedicated security from the transit area?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gilbertaue

I'm flying SIN-IST-CDG. While transiting in IST do I need to proceed through normal security (and hope the TK E queue is open), then into departure area, then to lounge OR

is there a straight entrance into the lounge via a dedicated security from the transit area?
If you look at post #3 it's all very clearly explained: follow the signs for transfers, show your BP, go through security, take the escalator up one level and you're in the departures area. Go to the lounge or shop or go to your gate.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by gilbertaue

No dedicated security line into the lounge.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:39 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks. Was confused as one other post on page 2 or 3 mentioned security straight into the lounge... (and that in the transit thread)..

So pardon the confusion..
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Is the Centralized security process for intl-intl on TK still taking a long time, or have they smoothed out the process a little?

I am looking at booking some flights for me, my spouse, and the two rugrats. Quickest option has 1h35m layover on way to and 1h55m on the way back. People had said you could easily get stuck in the security line for an hour, which would make things tight to say the least.

What's the latest?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Is the Centralized security process for intl-intl on TK still taking a long time, or have they smoothed out the process a little?

I am looking at booking some flights for me, my spouse, and the two rugrats. Quickest option has 1h35m layover on way to and 1h55m on the way back. People had said you could easily get stuck in the security line for an hour, which would make things tight to say the least.

What's the latest?
Transfer lines seem to be much quicker than regular (initial) security lines.
Both those connection times look to be more than fine to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.