Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
But TK is really good with interlining bags. I have never been rejected with a request to add a next flight that was a separate ticket. BKK (outsourced, but wearing TK uniforms) check-in agents are really nice and there is always a TK representative around.

Rule of thumb: ask nicely & smile - remember that they do you a favor.
well, for now I am not too worried yet.

I will start my journey earlier in the day in SIN with SQ (business). They are usually helpful too as I hold PPS status. But it might be pushing it to connect 3 segments on 3 tickets.

2nd chance will be in BKK which like you said they should be helpful as well. And also business class.

Last effort i think I will go to transfer counter at IST which I hope is right around the immigration hall before security lines and I hope at 4am is not yet too crowded as most flights arrive after 5. Besides I am not sure if there are that many ppl connecting on separate tickets. Their website says baggage will be transferred automatically, similar to past experiences elsewhere on international hubs like SIN. The only risk will be the baggage Mẩy not connect in time because it has to be manually transferred but then I am more than happy to collect insurance payout for a day or two late baggage delivery - some $200 every 6 hours

Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Good luck in persuading the check-in agent at SIN to check bags on 3 separate tickets - I doubt he/she will do it; but ask nicely.

However, it is almost certain that TK check-in at BKK will check your bags to final destination. Somehow Thai agents do this all the time and know how to do it (and have no issues doing it; that is the most important part).

If you have to collect bags at IST, the transfer counter will not be able to help you; you will need to clear immigration to recheck your bags with UIA before the check-in deadline. No travel insurance will reimburse expenses because you check-in bags too late. TK at IST will not help you as your next flight is with UIA (but maybe TK is ground handling agent for UIA?)- Transfer desks are near transfer security check and escalator for the departure hall. Bags can take some time appear on the belts at IST but usually not 45min.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Quick question. Is SIN considered a clean country (for IST transit security purposes)?

It's been a while since I've transited at IST but I presume I can access the lounge once cleared through to the departure level.

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Quick question. Is SIN considered a clean country (for IST transit security purposes)?

It's been a while since I've transited at IST but I presume I can access the lounge once cleared through to the departure level.

Thanks.
Nope
sydunipete likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will not be able to proceed directly to departure level from the aero bridge, but you need to clear transit security check and take the escalator from arrivals level to departure level. Once at dep. level you will be able to walk to the TK lounge (turn right from the escalator).
sydunipete likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:14 am

This isn't a transit question per se, but given the enhanced screening for flights into the US and my desire to maximize lounge time, how early before departure should I be at the gate?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by karter8
This isn't a transit question per se, but given the enhanced screening for flights into the US and my desire to maximize lounge time, how early before departure should I be at the gate?
TK asks you to arrive at the gate an hour early (some times an hour and 15 mins). I wouldn’t risk it by arriving less than 30 mins at the gate.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: 1K
I checked-in online with TK for my IST connection to the U.S. but for "operational reasons" I was not allowed to print a boarding pass or have it sent to my phone (the website says I'm checked-in but the "issue boarding pass" link continues to give me the same message, that I need to go to a check-in agent or a kiosk to have it printed).

I booked the flight on TK's website (TK reservation, TK ticket stock). I'm arriving in IST on a separate Lufthansa ticket from FRA (which is a stopover from another airport that does not have any TK presence) with only 1 hour to make the TK flight to the U.S. I don't have any checked luggage.

Is it even possible for Lufthansa (either in FRA or at my origination airport) to be able to print for me my boarding pass for a TK flight to the U.S. from IST? Or, instead, would it make sense that while in FRA I try to locate a gate with a TK flight and ask gate agents there to help me out? Or, there's no hope, and I do need to wait until I arrive in IST and risk a long transfer/transit desk line? Since I'm already worried that my connection in IST is only 1 hour (and there's a high chance that I'll be arriving to a bus gate), I'd much rather have TK boarding pass in hand and "run" as soon as I reach the terminal...
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
FRA airport website says that TK desk is at Counter 664-671 in Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2
should be staffed at least two hours before TK departures.

Not being able to print OLCI boarding passes for flights to/from the US is normal in my experience with TK. I’m not entirely sure why that is, but visas/APIS/enhanced screening come to mind.

This makes your one hour connection a bit uncomfortable. I would go see if the TK desk at FRA can print a BP.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
FRA airport website says that TK desk is at Counter 664-671 in Terminal 1, Concourse B, Level 2
should be staffed at least two hours before TK departures. (...) I would go see if the TK desk at FRA can print a BP.
Thank you. I saw that there are typically at least 5 TK flights from FRA to IST, from 7:20 am all the way to 7:10 pm, so the check-in counters should be staffed most of the time.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt TK agents at FRA will be able or willing to print a BP ex IST when you are not on a TK flight ex. FRA. Most likely you will be told to go to the LH check-in counters, however, LH will not touch this (be able to print your BP ex. IST).

Anyway, not a big issue. Upon disembarkation at IST you will most likely not be allowed to proceed directly to the depart. level from the aero bridge (because you dont have a BP for your onward flight) so you need to proceed to arrival level and the TK transfer desk located near the security checks for transfer pax. As you are already checked in it should be no issue to receive a BP at the transfer desk even if you are late. The issue is that you need to clear security check and be in time at the gate.

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 25, 2018 at 3:47 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:11 am

The TK desk in FRA should be able to print a boarding pass even if the flight does not depart from FRA.
Other than that, given the short connection, I would proceed directly to the IST gate and ask the gate agent to print it. Probably better than the transfer desk.
In general, leaving one hour for transferring between two flights on different tickets is a very bad idea. What if your FRA flight is delayed?
Shuly
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuly
Other than that, given the short connection, I would proceed directly to the IST gate and ask the gate agent to print it. Probably better than the transfer desk.
The OP will not be allowed to proceed to depart. level/the gate without a BP. So if not in possession of a BP when arriving IST the OP needs to proceed to the transfer desk at arrivals level.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:57 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by karter8
In C?

Last time I was 45 minutes prior to departure. Procedure was fairly fast...
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:24 am

havall, in any case, it's nuts.

Unless that 1hr turns out to be 1hr 55min (in which I would still consider it nuts, just a bit less so) you've a good chance of something going wrong. I'd personally rate the chance to make such connection without a boarding pass in hand to be MASSIVELY below 50%. And with a boarding pass in hand, to be around 50%.

Basically, if you can't get a boarding pass, as others said, two chances: Get it while in transfer, or get it landside. Getting it in transfer seems the only chance. Immigration lines often are very long. And transfer lines might be short or not existing.

You can NOT get it in the "clean" transfer area you'll be dropped from Germany. No chance.

Either your skills are good, and you somehow convince the staff that your checked-in flight confirmation is good enough to be let through to the regular gate area OR you will be forced to go towards landside/arrivals, which imho make you unclean in any case. Even if you manage to stay airside and get a boarding pass there (no experience with that..) having to pass the "unclean" security airside after receiving a boarding pass in transit will suck away time. But actually, the security check will most probably NOT be the "break or make it" event, but rather getting the boarding pass from the transfer counter. Once you get that one, you might be able to get first in line for the security check by screeming "departure in 25min" or something like that. Or be lucky enough and have no queue to worry about.

So basically.. you want to either try QUICKLY to get the staff to agree to let you through to departure level on arrival, OR, if that fails, head to "unclean" transfer level (I don't think you can get a boarding pass in the clean transfer area, since it's literally just "got a boarding pass, then go to departure, if not, go towards unclean transfer/arrivals", from all I remember.)

Anyway, time will run QUICKLY, so don't argue. If you're in the terminal 50min before departure, and they deny you going to departure area without the boarding pass, RUN towards transfers in the unclean area. Get your boarding pass issues.

You'll have ZERO protection if you can't catch your flight.

Anyway, let us know how it goes - and PRAY for an early arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.