Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by TPJ
No security as you arrive from an EU country and Turkey (unilaterally) honors EU security.

There is security check at the gate - passport check, destination address for the first night (US requirement) unless collected n BUD, hand baggage check. So yes - be earlier at the gate.

PS. Address info not is needed if you are an EU citizen or Green Card holder.
Thank you very much for the help! With no transit security I feel much better about the connection time!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:46 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Does this include confiscating water bottles?
I think it is AU and not US regulation. The last time a bottle of water was confiscated was before my HKG-SYD CX flight.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus LH Senator (yes, two *A programs. Go figure)
BTW, I would be careful with timing when transiting in IST. I travel to/via IST 3-4 times every months and the last 6 months I saw significant increase in landing and take off delays. It became almost a norm that we lose 30-45 minutes in a holding pattern at arrival. On take off, it could be up to 10! places in a take off queue.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:16 pm

Transferring/Transit in Istanbul

Hello,

From what I have read, I think we'll be ok. So asking just in case. I'm looking at a flight book through Chase points on Turkish Airlines from Athens to SFO. We're US residents. The Flight is ATH-IST-SFO with only a hour and half layover. Is this enough time? There seems to be conflicting information about going through security. Will we have to go it? It's economy class (V) tickets. Thank you for any insight offered.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:13 pm

you will be perfectly fine. Enjoy the flight. TK does have a very solid Y class product.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Indeed, 90min is amble time for an IST transfer arriving from EU (no transit security check if you proceed straight to the depart. level on the aerobridge). No reason to worry. Even with a delay you will make it to your connecting flight
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
I see it's technically legal, but is 90 mins enough for a domestic-international connection (ESB-IST-FRA)? Looking at possibly booking the 9:15a IST-FRA flight and debating how early I need to arrive from ESB. Also, would I have to reclear security again at IST, or do I stay in the "clean" area and only have to go through exit immigration formalities? I hate to take an extra-early flight but wondering if it'd be worth it to not have to worry about a misconnect (arriving the night before isn't an option).

No *A status at the moment (sadly), will likely be flying in Y. Both flights would be on TK.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If you buy as 1 ticket I wouldn't be concerned. If you will have 2 reservations/tickets I would be more carefull because if your ESB-IST flight is late and you miss the IST-FRA flight you may not get TK to rebook you on the next flight to FRA and worst case is that you will have to buy a new ticket.

Why don't you book the direct ESB-FRA flight? At least some time ago there were direct flights to/from ESB on TK (but admittedly, it may have changed)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Hi quick question, Traveling on TK J landing 11:30 AM next flight to US out on 18:30 giving us a good 7 hour layover. Assuming flight lands on time we would like to get into Istanbul to visit one of the following malls, Forum Istanbul or Mall of Istanbul. From what I read we should be able to get out of the airport in an hour and assuming we get into the airport in 30 minutes using the J class gate, directly into the lounge (we should have our boarding pass) and then on to the gate. The plan is to reach the airport by 17:00 hours giving us a good buffer for our next flight. I know Forum Istanbul can be accessed via the metro in half an hour each way however wondering if Mall of Istanbul would give us more time. Any advice if the same is doable or am I being aggressive with Istanbul traffic. Which mall can we head to in your opinion?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Connection time

Hi all, we'll be flying for the first time with Turkish via IST to HRG and before booking flights I have one question. This will also be our first time at Ataturk airport. Our flight will land around 23:30 and we have 1h 55 mins until next one ( 1:15 am). Is that enough time to connect? I have no idea if there are big crowds at that time of the night.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by TM78
Hi all, we'll be flying for the first time with Turkish via IST to HRG and before booking flights I have one question. This will also be our first time at Ataturk airport. Our flight will land around 23:30 and we have 1h 55 mins until next one ( 1:15 am). Is that enough time to connect? I have no idea if there are big crowds at that time of the night.
Assuming you arrive from Slovenia, you'll be "clean" on arrival and lead directly into the departure area. Unless there is significant delay, you'll easily make it. IST can be chaotic, but usually if delays happen, it's for arriving AND departing flights at the same time
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles&More
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Assuming you arrive from Slovenia, you'll be "clean" on arrival and lead directly into the departure area. Unless there is significant delay, you'll easily make it. IST can be chaotic, but usually if delays happen, it's for arriving AND departing flights at the same time
Yes, we will. Thank you so much for helping me.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Overnight int'l to int'l transfer, baggage thru check?

I'll be arriving from BUS in the evening, then connecting for DUB in early afternoon the following day. Since I'll be traveling J, I was expecting to spend the night at the lounge and save USD$60 for visa (Canadian passport holder), all the hassle of picking up my bag and recheck, and a precious real estate in my passport.

Now I saw this thread in AC forum, I wonder if I'll be forced to enter Turkey, pick up my bag at ist?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1894494-overnight-layover-short-checking-baggage.html#post29432443
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by maverikbc
I'll be arriving from BUS in the evening, then connecting for DUB in early afternoon the following day. Since I'll be traveling J, I was expecting to spend the night at the lounge and save USD$60 for visa (Canadian passport holder), all the hassle of picking up my bag and recheck, and a precious real estate in my passport.

Now I saw this thread in AC forum, I wonder if I'll be forced to enter Turkey, pick up my bag at ist?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1894494-overnight-layover-short-checking-baggage.html#post29432443
If your flight is on TK and on the same ticket, you can have your bag checked through to final destination and choose to stay airside during your transit.

I suggest you book the TAV airside hotel for a few hours in your situation for a decent chance of sleep. The lounge beats the rest of the Terminal for an overnight stay, but if given a choice, I’d pick the hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

I suggest you book the TAV airside hotel for a few hours in your situation for a decent chance of sleep. The lounge beats the rest of the Terminal for an overnight stay, but if given a choice, I’d pick the hotel.
The airside hotel is so expensive that it's much cheaper to book a hotel in the city, even when one adds the cost of the visa and transportation back and forth. In this case, we're talking about almost 24 hours: I would no doubt get out of the airport.

Airport hotels (4-5 stars) should be around 40-80 euro per night. There are excellent offers in the city as well.

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.