FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   LGW lounge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1301614-lgw-lounge.html)

Passmethesickbag Jan 12, 2012 3:42 am

LGW lounge

Which lounge, if any, does TK offer passengers flying out of LGW (I'm *G travelling in Y class)?

moeser Jan 12, 2012 9:02 am

Don't know which lounge TK has contracted but as *G you are entitled to use the'' No.1 Gatwick Lounge ''.South Terminal after security control.

NickB Jan 14, 2012 6:10 am

Originally Posted by moeser (Post 17799788)
Don't know which lounge TK has contracted but as *G you are entitled to use the'' No.1 Gatwick Lounge ''.South Terminal after security control.

AFAIK, the No.1 Gatwick Lounge is not a *A lounge so there is no automatic entitlement to access based on status. What access you get, whether as *G or business pax, is dependent on what the airline has contracted for at LGW.

Passmethesickbag Jan 16, 2012 3:23 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 17811925)
AFAIK, the No.1 Gatwick Lounge is not a *A lounge so there is no automatic entitlement to access based on status. What access you get, whether as *G or business pax, is dependent on what the airline has contracted for at LGW.

That was my understanding, too. It's a very nice lounge, and it's used by US (who used to operate it) and LH, but TK is flying out of the North terminal... There is another No.1 lounge there, though - here's hoping! Will report back.

Passmethesickbag Jan 18, 2012 5:22 am

No lounge access. The check-in agent informed me that if I wanted to use the No 1 lounge, I was very welcome to pay at the door.

Good lord the catering options in this terminal are depressing!

ovenman Jan 18, 2012 3:03 pm

The No. 1 lounge at Gatwick South Terminal took me in as a *G card holder today.

Passmethesickbag Jan 19, 2012 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ovenman (Post 17839747)
The No. 1 lounge at Gatwick South Terminal took me in as a *G card holder today.

Yes, but who were you flying with? Certainly LH and US pay for access, and the check-in agents are aware of this and tell *G customers when they check in that they are welcome to use the lounge

NickB Jan 19, 2012 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 17843650)
Yes, but who were you flying with? Certainly LH and US pay for access

Exactly.

Disappointing if, as seems to be the case on the basis of your experience, that TK did not negotiate any lounge access for business class and *A elite passengers at LGW.

Passmethesickbag Jan 19, 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 17843687)
Exactly.

Disappointing if, as seems to be the case on the basis of your experience, that TK did not negotiate any lounge access for business class and *A elite passengers at LGW.

It was a somewhat confused discussion with the check-in agent, but I *think* they treat their C passengers to a visit to the No 1 lounge. I'm sure they could afford it; it was a pretty empty C section.

ovenman Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 17843650)
Yes, but who were you flying with? Certainly LH and US pay for access, and the check-in agents are aware of this and tell *G customers when they check in that they are welcome to use the lounge

TAP Portugal. The check-in agent was clueless about lounge access and about *G in general. I knew that I could get into the No. 1 lounge with my Diner's Club card. The agent at the No. 1 lounge said I could use either card and took my *G card as she claimed it made her paperwork easier.

Passmethesickbag Jan 20, 2012 1:17 am

Originally Posted by ovenman (Post 17847213)
TAP Portugal. The check-in agent was clueless about lounge access and about *G in general. I knew that I could get into the No. 1 lounge with my Diner's Club card. The agent at the No. 1 lounge said I could use either card and took my *G card as she claimed it made her paperwork easier.

Thanks, that's a helpful data point - it's quite a nice lounge! Would also be very interested to know if you end up getting credit for this flight. I have noticed that services ex LGW are now operated by Portugalia Airlines - whether UACO decides that that is the equivalent of United Express or a non-eligible code share is less clear. Mind, a lot of TP booking classes don't get any credit anyway... Sorry TK forum, this is turning into completely the wrong place, I know!

ovenman Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 17849890)
Thanks, that's a helpful data point - it's quite a nice lounge! Would also be very interested to know if you end up getting credit for this flight.

I thought is was a very nice lounge! For what it's worth, I didn't get the impression that the agent working the lounge desk really cared who my *G affiliation was with nor with whom I was flying. But you know how it goes, could go back to the same lounge with the same credentials the next day, get a different agent and a different answer! :D

We'll see about the mileage. I am switching over to TK's program and that's the FF number I gave for the flight segment.

ashlar77 Feb 5, 2012 10:39 am

When I flew last week, as a Star Gold holder I was given an invitation note for the no. 1 lounge at check in. Without this note you won't get in, but te check in staff should give it to you.

Lounge is lovely, and I was very pleased with TK's service.

Passmethesickbag Feb 5, 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ashlar77 (Post 17956438)
When I flew last week, as a Star Gold holder I was given an invitation note for the no. 1 lounge at check in. Without this note you won't get in, but te check in staff should give it to you.

Lounge is lovely, and I was very pleased with TK's service.

Sounds like you got this on the basis of your *G status and not because you were flying Business class. :mad: My check-in agent was clueless but was being trained and supervised by a presumably senior Serviceair agent who told me that they gave lounge invitations to C passengers only but that I could always pay at the entrance for access.

moeser Feb 5, 2012 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 17957992)
Sounds like you got this on the basis of your *G status and not because you were flying Business class. :mad: My check-in agent was clueless but was being trained and supervised by a presumably senior Serviceair agent who told me that they gave lounge invitations to C passengers only but that I could always pay at the entrance for access.

Apparently the senior agent is in dire need for training as well.