Live TV And Internet (WiFi) On Planet IFE

Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:41 am
tcm
Original Poster

Live TV And Internet (WiFi) On Planet IFE

What takes them so long Finally they are getting the Panasonic IFE system to offer it's full potential. In the announcement they mention the upgrade of systems on the A330-200 They probably meant the new A330-300s.

Turkish Airlines will be the first carrier to offer live, inflight television on Trans-Atlantic flights. Turkish Airlines. will also become among first European carriers by introducing wifi internet access to it’s passengers.

Panasonic's eXTV television network uses the company's eXConnect in-flight Ku-band communications service to deliver high quality television programming to passengers during their flight. It will provide live, uninterrupted content to aircraft flying all over the world, even over oceans. The service will offer several channels as BBC World, BBC Arabic and Euronews on available Turkish Airlines flights.

Panasonic's wifi system uses the company's eXConnect in-flight Ku-band communications service to deliver high speed internet access to passengers. Passengers will be able to go online using their mobile devices such as notebook, ipad, tablets etc. on available Turkish Airlines flights.

Turkish Airlines will receive. the first B777-300ER with GCS system from the Boeing Company on September 23rd, 2011. Turkish Airlines also plans the launch this system on its existing aircraft, 11 Boeing 777-300ER and 10 Airbus A330-200 in the near future.
Link: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...s-flights.aspx
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:03 pm

Should be the last 777 which they have on order. TC-JJP. I don't know how hard it is to enable the internet on current 777/333. Probably not hard because there is already everything in place in the IFE. There is just "coming soon" or similar message displayed. One of the best hard product is getting better!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
I wonder how much WiFi will cost... (CC and above being free? Haha I can dream!)
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
I wonder how much WiFi will cost... (CC and above being free? Haha I can dream!)
Should be free for business and everyone else should pay. Enough with putting CC in par of business.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:34 pm
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
I've never paid for internet on planes, how fast is it.

I do agree that for business it should be free. I think for CC it should be a reasonable price lower than that of eco. honestly I can't tell how much it would have to be for me to pay for it. I guess from LAX to Istanbul if I really needed it, and I'm paying for it (not covered by employer) i might not pay more than 10$ for the whole flight. between the movies (they provide and I have) and the sleeping, I'm usually satisfied, doesn't leave enough time for internet.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I used GoGo in-flight internet on a UA flight SFO-JFK this January and it was great. Flight was delayed 2 hours, I could use it alternatively with my wife on our 2 laptops, very good speed (youtube worked well), overall great value for the 12-15$ paid. With UA everybody was paying for it.

I think TK will introduce it with a big fuss, give everybody few weeks 50-75-100% discount to use, and then charge everybody a fee for it. They might give C-pax some discounts or coupons, but definitely not free forever.

For US-bound day-flights internet access is a miracle for business pax, as it can save a day's work if you are connected throughout your 8-12 hour flight.

Now I really look forward to my HKG-IST-LAX flights in JAN, should pick up at least one flight with internet on-board!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by CAlex
I used GoGo in-flight internet on a UA flight SFO-JFK this January and it was great. Flight was delayed 2 hours, I could use it alternatively with my wife on our 2 laptops, very good speed (youtube worked well), overall great value for the 12-15$ paid. With UA everybody was paying for it.

I think TK will introduce it with a big fuss, give everybody few weeks 50-75-100% discount to use, and then charge everybody a fee for it. They might give C-pax some discounts or coupons, but definitely not free forever.

For US-bound day-flights internet access is a miracle for business pax, as it can save a day's work if you are connected throughout your 8-12 hour flight.

Now I really look forward to my HKG-IST-LAX flights in JAN, should pick up at least one flight with internet on-board!
Hopefully they implement it soon!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:13 pm

Fascinating airline, TK. Their customer service is archaic, automation is a word they've never heard of, yet they have live tv, internet, power source and individual entertainment units in every single seat.

If they got their act together with customer service, I would fly them more often. But I really don't like dealing with their CSR. They cannot communicate if their life depended on it.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by sentinyc
Fascinating airline, TK. Their customer service is archaic, automation is a word they've never heard of, yet they have live tv, internet, power source and individual entertainment units in every single seat.

If they got their act together with customer service, I would fly them more often. But I really don't like dealing with their CSR. They cannot communicate if their life depended on it.
power source in Every seat for every plane ? even in economy? seatguru shows this only on the 777's and in business only on the 330/340.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:18 pm
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hellyea
power source in Every seat for every plane ? even in economy? seatguru shows this only on the 777's and in business only on the 330/340.
that looks to be the case on the 777-300er. I flew CC on this ac and I had a power source.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:35 pm

Just an FYI. My parents flew ORD-IST on 10/28 and it was an A340 and each seat in economy had a power source.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:29 pm

Any news? It's been few months since my latest transatlantic-flight and i have one trip upcoming with one of their 777. Has anyone heard something?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: DL, AA, AV, AC
I was on TK1 IST-JFK Dec 31 and no live TV or internet yet.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by wunderk
I was on TK1 IST-JFK Dec 31 and no live TV or internet yet.
Thanks wunderk! I tried to look for information from Panasonic website but there isn't anything that is currently interesting. Well, we just have to wait then! Wonder what is taking so long.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:43 am

just flew on 1/4/12 and their january IFE magazine still says that the wifi is going to be outfitted forthcoming but it was vague. didnt give any specific timeframe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.