Hours for Transfer Desk in Hong Kong

Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hours for Transfer Desk in Hong Kong

I'll be arriving Hong Kong and connect to TK flight with two separate tickets. There here are 5+ hours overlay in Hong Kong. My understanding is the TK transfer desk will not open until 3 hours before the flight. What's the best way to obtain BP in this case so I can go through security and get to the departure lounge as soon as I arrive in HKG? Or the security line will allow people in without BP but just show the itinerary?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by wendySFO
I'll be arriving Hong Kong and connect to TK flight with two separate tickets. There here are 5+ hours overlay in Hong Kong. My understanding is the TK transfer desk will not open until 3 hours before the flight. What's the best way to obtain BP in this case so I can go through security and get to the departure lounge as soon as I arrive in HKG? Or the security line will allow people in without BP but just show the itinerary?
You can get through security without a BP - you can just show your itinerary. But if the transfer desk is not open, there is not much you can do till you get your BP. You may try OLCI, or else show your itinerary at the lounge and hope you'd get in.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:15 pm
Suspended

If OLCI does not work for you (as it did not for me), you will have a tough time convincing the Jardine (=handling agents) rep to give you a special pass, which will be accepted by the transit hall security to allow you to go upstairs to the departure level. I got lucky after my third attempt one afternoon - the first two Cantonese women just brushed me off and could not be bothered to help. Once through security, getting access to the lounges (UA & TG) on the basis of the itinerary is no problem.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Other option with that length of Stopover is to take the airport express into Central and indulge in a spot of food or retail therapy.

This would allow you to use the in-town check in that opens much earlier.

The train is cheaper for same day return (HK$120 from memory) and if you have bought your flights as seperate itinerarys and have paid HK departure tax on the outgoing ticket, there is a counter that you claim back the departure tax. which is also $120.!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

According to TK's website, OLCI at HKG is possible but getting a BP is not possible.

Without a BP, getting through the security can be challenging. Have done it at other airports/lounges but not sure what's the experience at HKG.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Other option with that length of Stopover is to take the airport express into Central and indulge in a spot of food or retail therapy.

The train is cheaper for same day return (HK$120 from memory) and if you have bought your flights as seperate itinerarys and have paid HK departure tax on the outgoing ticket, there is a counter that you claim back the departure tax. which is also $120.!
I am also thinking to go into Hong kong/Kowloon. 5+ hours is a little short to enjoy a quick visit but sounds better to sit outside security. Thanks for the departure tax info, it helps to make the decision easier.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:52 pm

I am also thinking to go into Hong kong/Kowloon. 5+ hours is a little short to enjoy a quick visit but sounds better to sit outside security. Thanks for the departure tax info, it helps to make the decision easier.
Like cmdsea suggested,take the Airport Express to the IFE Terminal 15-20 min.
There you can CI,get your BP and rid of your baggage.
If you don't like to go back to the airport immediately,there are some nice Bars,Bistros on the rooftop where you can enjoy a Cocktail & Harbour View.

The whole process from / to the airport incl.CI will take about 60 min.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moeser
Like cmdsea suggested,take the Airport Express to the IFE Terminal 15-20 min.
There you can CI,get your BP and rid of your baggage.
If you don't like to go back to the airport immediately,there are some nice Bars,Bistros on the rooftop where you can enjoy a Cocktail & Harbour View.

The whole process from / to the airport incl.CI will take about 60 min.
Thanks for the info!

Last edited by wendySFO; Sep 22, 2011 at 1:26 am
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

How early? I had problems with the Kowloon in-town check in last month. The TK counter wasn't open at 6pm. I dropped my luggage off at the W concierge, who held it for a few hours and confirmed, "yes, yes, TK opens late."
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by jpdx
How early? I had problems with the Kowloon in-town check in last month. The TK counter wasn't open at 6pm. I dropped my luggage off at the W concierge, who held it for a few hours and confirmed, "yes, yes, TK opens late."
Sounds odd. I was at Central Stn rather than Kowloon but it opens at 2pm there. Actually at 1.30PM there were already 2 bored looking girls behind the desk so we tried our luck and she warned me it might not work on her computer but after a bit of tapping we were able to check in and offload our bags (our main aim) at 1.35pm and did not even need to wait till 2...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Sounds odd. I was at Central Stn rather than Kowloon but it opens at 2pm there. Actually at 1.30PM there were already 2 bored looking girls behind the desk so we tried our luck and she warned me it might not work on her computer but after a bit of tapping we were able to check in and offload our bags (our main aim) at 1.35pm and did not even need to wait till 2...
I usually don't check luggage, probably will use the baggage storage service at HKG.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...t-baggage.html
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
As i was/am in a similar situation as the OP today, i thought i'd share my experience, also as i couldn't find any definite answer on FT.
As mentioned, transfer desk does not open too early. I tried to get through security without BP but without avail.
Finally went through immigration and to the departure level where there are self service check-in machines that also work for TK. Got my BPs printed and went thrgouh security and the lounges. Only minor issue is that BPs don't show *G status but that's not really a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.