Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Originally Posted by godsquare
Just checked-in at the airport and there was absolutely no issue whatsoever. It is clear that the agent has to do something that is outside of her normal procedure but it took less than 5 minutes to complete. Now I have to figure out what to do 3 hours before the boarding time lol.
Out of curiosity, was the schedule change on the outbound or return segments? I am wondering if an airport agent would have any issue with check-in if it were the return segment(s) that required the re-validation/re-issue (especially if they were on a different coupon under the same PNR)? I am also wondering what would happen if the schedule change involved a 2nd carrier on the TK ticket (ie. codeshare), especially if this were the first segment... I can see showing up to an Air Canada counter only to be told that the ticket needs to be re-issued by TK before check-in due to a flight schedule or flight number change... So many reasons to worry with TK's IT!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by AirCanada881
so I have this issue for a flight to Bali in October and the return from Saigon in November. The agent on the phone told me that they have to downgrade me and then re upgrade me but the problem is my vouchers expired on 30th June so they have to transfer me to another call centre to get them re credited and then there's also the problem of availability still being there once the downgrade is processed I told them I'd call back. This makes me very nervous... He told me that if I didn't do anything with the reservation I have no guarantee of being able to board my flights... Is this possible? What should I do :/
I was in exactly the same situation (with different airport). The only different is that the agent recommended me not to do anything. I did just that and it went well.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
Out of curiosity, was the schedule change on the outbound or return segments? I am wondering if an airport agent would have any issue with check-in if it were the return segment(s) that required the re-validation/re-issue (especially if they were on a different coupon under the same PNR)? I am also wondering what would happen if the schedule change involved a 2nd carrier on the TK ticket (ie. codeshare), especially if this were the first segment... I can see showing up to an Air Canada counter only to be told that the ticket needs to be re-issued by TK before check-in due to a flight schedule or flight number change... So many reasons to worry with TK's IT!
1) The schedule changes are on both the outbound and the inbound. It appears that the agent does not have to touch another segment. For example, if the schedule change occurs on the return segment, when you check-in for the outbound segment, the agent does not touch the return segment at all.
2) I cannot comment on the codeshare situation.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
For my own knowledge, could others kindly confirm if it was indeed necessary to split the PNR when upgrading using E+ vouchers from two accounts?

The more data points we get, the better informed we will be to understand and use the TK system!
It is indeed necessary to split the PNR.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by godsquare

FWIW, I went to two sales offices that are generally helpful with TK matters. But for this specific issue, the agents from both offices refuse to touch my reservation and say that I should ignore the notification. Both insist that there will be nothing to worry (yet that makes me worry lol).

I just accepted a time change to my voucher-upgraded flight at a THY sales office.
There was an awful lot of typing.

The agent said she'd had to disassociate my vouchers from the reservation and then re-attach them.
BUT she confirmed there'd been no cancellation of the reservation, and no attempt to re-credit vouchers to my account, so there'd never be a danger of vouchers lapsing (because they are now out of date) or non-availabiliy of J being a problem.

It was reassuring. But I'm still confused
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I just accepted a time change to my voucher-upgraded flight at a THY sales office.
There was an awful lot of typing.

The agent said she'd had to disassociate my vouchers from the reservation and then re-attach them.
BUT she confirmed there'd been no cancellation of the reservation, and no attempt to re-credit vouchers to my account, so there'd never be a danger of vouchers lapsing (because they are now out of date) or non-availabiliy of J being a problem.

It was reassuring. But I'm still confused
In which THY office did you go ? LHR or city office in London ?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:23 am

Hi,
Does anybody know what happens with the upgrades if connection in IST is missed or other IRROPS issues? How does TK handle this? Do they have to reapply the "voucher" and do that only with J available or would they rebook in other classes aswell in case of IRROPS? I know that with schedule change they have to reapply the voucher, but on IRROPS agents usually have more options/power. I am asking as I am considering to book a very thight connection. I wouldn't care too much if I would miss the flight (as there are multiple a day) but I would care if I would loose my upgrade.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
This may be my first membership year that I'll end up not using my upgrade vouchers. Many reasons:

1. Many sales of J fares, including TK, NZ, LH, and even other alliances like AM so I'm booked up for the year.
2. Little to no J fares (assuming there's seats for upgrade). When I found ones I could possibly use almost a year later (YYZ/YUL-IST for example).
3. High revenue fares in Y. Good thing for TK, they're doing well and no longer need to give seats away but certain upgrade scenarios the vouchers have little to no value, in some cases negative especially when they run J sales to Asia from North America (as crazy as it sounds, occasionally the Y fares are higher). Not to mention the mileage accruals even with lowest J fares at 160%.

I wouldn't mind at this point if they up the requirements to renew E+ but with easy to use benefits (upgrade with almost any J and K fares, for example) because I would be meeting the requirements (40K miles) for another 2 years within the first 3 months of the membership cycle.

Originally Posted by Kapi1904
I am asking as I am considering to book a very thight connection. I wouldn't care too much if I would miss the flight (as there are multiple a day) but I would care if I would loose my upgrade.
If you have the boarding pass in J, in theory, in case of IRROPS, they are obliged to provide alternative flight in the same class. However, personally I would choose a longer (unless much longer) connection for the peace of mind and enjoy the lounge.

Last edited by vincewy; Aug 20, 2019 at 7:34 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.. I am asking as I am considering to book a very thight connection. I wouldn't care too much if I would miss the flight (as there are multiple a day) but I would care if I would loose my upgrade.
Been there, done that and got treated as any other business-class passengers - which generally means being put onto the next flight, in business-class (the easiest solution).

My trip was booted forward 24-hours by the transfer desk: it took a visit to the ticketing wizards in the lounge to get re-routed on a combination of carriers to arrive in my destination only 10 hours late.

But far, far better to opt for a longer transfer time rather than getting stressed, hot and bothered, pushing through security checks and running round the airport to make a connection ....... and possibly failing
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Hi,
Does anybody know what happens with the upgrades if connection in IST is missed or other IRROPS issues? How does TK handle this? Do they have to reapply the "voucher" and do that only with J available or would they rebook in other classes aswell in case of IRROPS? I know that with schedule change they have to reapply the voucher, but on IRROPS agents usually have more options/power. I am asking as I am considering to book a very thight connection. I wouldn't care too much if I would miss the flight (as there are multiple a day) but I would care if I would loose my upgrade.
In addition to the information that vincewy and IAN-UK has provided, I could tell you that if they rebook you on another carrier you would get miles according to the Business Class rates of the airline.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:27 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I could tell you that if they rebook you on another carrier you would get miles according to the Business Class rates of the airline.
24 hoursK rebooking on another carrier ?
I never heard of such experience : a friend had to wait 24 hours the next day flight to MNL after a late arrival of his former TK flight from CAI
He had a paid business class ticket.
TK had refused to rebook him on another carrier
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by G_G
I never heard of such experience : a friend had to wait 24 hours the next day flight to MNL after a late arrival of his former TK flight from CAI
Very rare but sometimes rebooking on another happens.
First, if your friend tried to rebook on the phone, they don't have the authorization.
If they say no to me at the airport transfer desk, I always ask to talk with a supervisor that there is a shorter option available. This is valid for any airline. For Turkish Airlines, it really depends on the representative.

In addition, in Atatürk Airport, due to the congestion 7/24 at the transfer desk, the employees may have given the boarding pass for the next day, hand hotel vouchers and politely kicked him.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G_G
Well you're hearing about yet another

I missed the afternoon connection to Manchester, and got offered the next morning TK flight by the transfer people. After further discussion at a ticket desk I was rerouted an hour or so later on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. From the miles I received from Lufthansa, it was a full-fare ticket.

Sometimes you have to make it clear what you expect: it's not a matter of arrogance or being pushy. The airline will naturally offer the easiest solution, and they know for many travellers a night in a 5-star hotel with taxis and a slap-up dinner is something of a bonus.

The transfer desk seem not to have the authority, or possibly the patience, to explore alternative solutions: or perhaps they're frazzled by the workload. If you find yourself in this sort of situation i'd suggest calling out a transfer supervisor, or dealing with a ticketing desk - in the lounge or elsewhere.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In addition to the information that vincewy and IAN-UK has provided, I could tell you that if they rebook you on another carrier you would get miles according to the Business Class rates of the airline.
Yes! It seems to be an industry-wide thing among "legacy" carriers: they have contracts which allow them to issue tickets for (most) other carrier. I've always received the mileage from the second carrier's programme. And, as a bonus, in some cases the "original route mileage" can be claimed from the first airline

I guess the idea, or hope, is that over the course of time the cost of tickets TK buys from, say, BA evens out with those BA needs to buy from TK.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If an airline cannot get you to where you are supposed to go, they are supposed to get you there as soon as possible, most major trunk carriers have interline agreements with one another, which is what everyone alive is referring to. Now when it comes to rebooking you on another carrier all airlines will try and keep you with them, and every carrier has its own particularities. If a BA flight is canceled the day before, BA will give you dozens of options online and try to not do things in the phone, but if you does up at the airport, they will generally put you on what you want. EK is the worst and you really have to fight for authorization. Airlines line Delta, Lufthansa and Air France are fairly laid back in my experience. TK is somewhat in between, and that has to do with the corporate culture, in an irrops situation at IST you are going to be seen by TGS people, who generally do NOT have the authority to FIM into another carrier, a TK manager generally has to sign off.... And they are sometimes intentionally hard to find... Even if you are flying in paid biz, even if you are E+.
G_G likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.