Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
I appreciate the sound advice. Any tips on which OTA to use? Are there any of them where you can cancel yourself without calling in?
I like Priceline, especially because you can select fare class via bookwithmatrix.com or the powertools extension.
craigthemif and AirCanada881 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Indeed, this is very disappointing. But the way I read TK's response is that I class availability is still irrelevant for upgrades (it was speculated earlier in this forum that both I and J need to be available in order to upgrade). J class availability is a prerequisite but not anymore a guarantee for an upgrade.
The advantage of I class availability is that your Plan B could be to use miles to process the upgrade. Not ideal, but better than flying at the back of the bus!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
I just noticed that ExpertFlyer shows an "R" class listed as a business-class fare category. I do not see R-class on the TK website as a revenue class, therefore I am wondering if this could be a new fare bucket relating to upgrades? I don't recall seeing R-class on EF in the past, but I could be mistaken.

From a very quick search of random flights and dates on EF, it would appear that availability of R-class is somewhat correlated to I-class. Any time R>0, I is greater than 2. On days where it is showing I=3, R was 1, and where I<=2, R=0. Does anyone have any insight or knowledge if this might be significant or is it a completely unrelated fare bucket? Does anyone remember seeing R as either a revenue fare on TK or previously posted on EF?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
I just noticed that ExpertFlyer shows an "R" class listed as a business-class fare category. I do not see R-class on the TK website as a revenue class, therefore I am wondering if this could be a new fare bucket relating to upgrades? I don't recall seeing R-class on EF in the past, but I could be mistaken.

From a very quick search of random flights and dates on EF, it would appear that availability of R-class is somewhat correlated to I-class. Any time R>0, I is greater than 2. On days where it is showing I=3, R was 1, and where I<=2, R=0. Does anyone have any insight or knowledge if this might be significant or is it a completely unrelated fare bucket? Does anyone remember seeing R as either a revenue fare on TK or previously posted on EF?
Interesting theory! I have never seen R fare on the TK website, I didn't really pay attention to it on Expertflyer. I also just did a quick random search and can confirm your logic.
I like your earlier suggestion that people with successful upgrades kindly share here in this forum the available fare buckets (J, I , R) for the individual and married segments. Hopefully we can then figure out a pattern
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
From a very quick search of random flights and dates on EF, it would appear that availability of R-class is somewhat correlated to I-class. Any time R>0, I is greater than 2. On days where it is showing I=3, R was 1, and where I<=2, R=0. Does anyone have any insight or knowledge if this might be significant or is it a completely unrelated fare bucket? ...
Since the amount of miles needed for an upgrade and the amount of miles needed for an award biz ticket is the same, the main advantage to me for using the miles for an upgrade (in addition to getting miles) was that J bucket was more plentiful than I class.
If R class is really the new upgrade class then they switched it around and it is a real downgrade from my perspective
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
I like your earlier suggestion that people with successful upgrades kindly share here in this forum the available fare buckets (J, I , R) for the individual and married segments. Hopefully we can then figure out a pattern
Good suggestion.
I would add to this, log the classes (J, I & R) before and after issuing a J award ticket or an upgrade.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This simple question was asked on Twitter today and the answer of TK

Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

I asked the same question in a different way last week. Same stupid answer from TK nohelpdesk
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
I asked the same question in a different way last week. Same stupid answer from TK nohelpdesk
Are you surprised? We've long known that CS is rubbish and the website is a counter-intuitive mess short on detail.

If it weren't for the critical mass of Flyertalkers with E+ and E willing to share their experiences... many of us would have given up long ago.

P.S. Perhaps we should redesign the wiki so that it includes data points. At the moment, I'm most keen on actually hearing how many people saw J for sale on the TK website but then COULDN'T upgrade.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I had no trouble upgrading my flights which were J4 I0 R0 earlier this month. I wouldn't be surprised if the restriction is something along the lines of flight is J6 or higher (as a poster above said the TPE office told him/her) - unfortunately, the public can't see above J4, but we can call TK and ask how many seats are available in the J bucket prior to booking.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
... unfortunately, the public can't see above J4, but we can call TK and ask how many seats are available in the J bucket prior to booking.
You don’t have to call, you can make some dummies booking to find the amount of free J bucket class seats.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by flyerby

You don’t have to call, you can make some dummies booking to find the amount of free J bucket class seats.
I don't think the website will let you create a booking with more than 4 people in business class. And regardless, it only would work if there is a fare filed which books into J...
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I don't think the website will let you create a booking with more than 4 people in business class. And regardless, it only would work if there is a fare filed which books into J...
Indeed TK doesn’t allow for more than 4 J pax in one reservation.
So make 2 reservations (one of them will have to get a PNR to block the seats).
Or just make a single reservation with a PNR and then have a look at EF.

Last edited by flyerby; Mar 30, 2019 at 4:19 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
How long after the end of the first membership year does it take them to credit the account with the vouchers for the 2nd membership year?
My 1st one ended 31.03.2019 and I called today but none credited yet. Any experiences?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:59 am

From my experience, about 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.