Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Turkish Air
Originally Posted by dabee69
I always check both - married and individual segments for J class availability. It has always worked me if both are available. My experience shows it has nothing to do with I class availability.

I have been able to waitlist upgrade for vouchers. It was a business trip I was willing to upgrade for vouchers. I'd fly anyway which is different from your situation. Outbound 2 flight connection cleared the day after, inbound LAX-IST never cleared and it was even overbooked in C.
What is a "married segment" and how do you tell?

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I was able to upgrade a ticket yesterday without issues, although it took 2 calls because the first agent wanted 4 vouchers for my itinerary. The upgrade cleared into J class. With the new system, the fare class on my ticket did not update to J, although the reservation did update.
How did you get scammed out of 4 vouchers for one trip?

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
So, you couldn’t figure out something and therefore this must be a scam?.
Originally Posted by Jaenks
When you or your assistant are not capable to do something, it does not mean it is a scam or a lie(too strong words). Just read the Wiki and do as written or call first and ask availability to purchase in J booking class although you would not do purchase the ticket but will find the availability.
It has nothing to do with not being capable of "figuring it out" it has to do with the company purposefully denying the information necessary to "figure it out". That's extremely scammy and dishonest behavior and it is clearly designed to prevent people from using their vouchers before they expire (they're only good for a year). It's also designed to cause people to buy tickets they don't want. If they said "You need to check if there is J class and then call us back and hope the availability is still there" that's totally different than "we will only help you if you already have a ticket number and we won't give you any other information about it" (three separate people told us that). I can see you're a bit slow.

Last edited by jay49; Mar 7, 2019 at 7:09 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
Out of curiosity, were you able to check the J and I space numbers before you applied for your upgrade? Going forward, it would helpful if people could give examples based on the J/I situation of their flight(s) in question and then report back on their upgrade success or failures.

In my case, two weeks ago, I first tried to upgrade with miles and then when denied, I tried my E+ voucher which was also denied. In both cases, the call center said that only one of the two segments were available for upgrade. The loads, based on Expert Flyer, were as follows:
DXB-IST-BOS J4 I0 (searched as a married journey)
DXB-IST J4 I0
IST-BOS J4 I2
It could be that EF is showing incorrect information, so I double checked on TK's web-site that it was possible to purchase J on the married segments. Four separate agents confirmed however, that only the IST-BOS was open for upgrade using either miles or E+ voucher. So the only thing I could ascertain from my experience is that I-space is now also required.
I can confirm that about this last year the above was not the case, where I was able to upgrade with miles when only J- space was available (I=0) and the same situation for my E+ voucher. I'm wondering if their "new" computer system has changed anything in how upgrades are processed (apart from now requiring a ticket number to look-up space)?

On a positive note, TK did refund me the cancellation fee after submitting an on-line feedback and explaining the situation. It is still quite a hassle if we cannot confirm upgrade availability before ticketing. This is why concrete examples of the J- and I- loads prior to someone upgrading would help shed light on the current algorithm used by TK's "new" computer system for upgrading.
My flights were J4I0 according to ExpertFlyer, and the upgrades booked into J.

Were you looking at inventory based on US point of sale (ExpertFlyer default) or UAE (the POS applicable)?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jay49
What is a "married segment" and how do you tell?

How did you get scammed out of 4 vouchers for one trip?

It has nothing to do with not being capable of "figuring it out" it has to do with the company purposefully denying the information necessary to "figure it out". That's extremely scammy and dishonest behavior and it is clearly designed to prevent people from using their vouchers before they expire (they're only good for a year). It's also designed to cause people to buy tickets they don't want. If they said "You need to check if there is J class and then call us back and hope the availability is still there" that's totally different than "we will only help you if you already have a ticket number and we won't give you any other information about it" (three separate people told us that). I can see you're a bit slow.
We are just saying that you are overreacting. Yes, TK could have provided you with more information. However, a simple lack of information is not a scam. Scam means fraud. I don't see fraud here. What is obvious is that you are not a pleasant person to deal with, and thus I'll not answer any more comments from you.
Jaenks and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
My flights were J4I0 according to ExpertFlyer, and the upgrades booked into J.

Were you looking at inventory based on US point of sale (ExpertFlyer default) or UAE (the POS applicable)?
You raise a good point regarding POS. My default is set to Canada and I didn't even consider checking UAE at the time of my original search. I just re-checked the same routing (inventory hasn't change) and changing the POS didn't change the results in EF in this instance. Your point is still well taken and important to remember!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
As far as I know, even when I may or may not be a bit slow, there are two different departments, Miles&Smiles for rewards and the other one for revenue bookings. Ok, so I called to TK US number. Last two or three months ago the rules where changed to verify the availability without purchased ticket number. TK did it due to the same booking class(J) for paid ticket and for using voucher, that when they verify the availability but between the purchasing and redeeming the voucher, other person may purchase the ticket in J class and therefore there will be no availability anymore. I would not call it a scam or dishonest behavior but more to secure their back. Nobody wants to lose their seat(s) after the upgrade is confirmed by TK but not available after the ticket issuing and forward their anger towards TK, which in your case was only dissatisfaction with information provided. In this situation, I would try to check availability seats in J class through TK by calling, with double checking through Expertflyer and/or through TAs. It is for sure more complicated for Elite+ members who does not have corporate contract.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Can anyone confirm or deny whether booking class J and/or I definitely works?
As far as what the TK agent in Arlanda Airport told us in January, there was no I class availability on the IST-ARN leg that´s why only the BKK-IST leg could be upgraded, as there was I class only on that leg. Of course, on the day of our flight, we asked the lounge staff in IST if they could upgrade us to biz class. We were asked to come back after 30 mins and voila, we got a new boarding pass in biz class. Only 2 of the 16 seats were vacant so I guess they did us a big favor

Checking on Amadeus, those days in April with J4I4 on IST-MNL shows availability to redeem 45k TK miles in business limited on TKs website, while those days showing J0I0 and J4I0 would show business seat guaranteed seat requiring 105k miles for business class so I believe that there must be I class availability (just like what the TK agent told us) to redeem a business limited seat for 45k miles Europe to Asia and apparently to use the elite plus voucher. I'll get a new elite plus upgrade voucher on April 1 and will try to use it for a trip and will report back
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AY Platinum; TK Elite+; MR Titanium; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
... so I believe that there must be I class availability (just like what the TK agent told us) to redeem a business limited seat for 45k miles Europe to Asia and apparently to use the elite plus voucher. I'll get a new elite plus upgrade voucher on April 1 and will try to use it for a trip and will report back
This is a bit weird since I successfully upgraded (with miles) my IST-LAX flight on Feb 27 and during the discussion with my local TK office they confirmed that they needed "J" availability to be able upgrade it, I don't recall with certainty if it had "I"availability as well, but I do not believe so.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Originally Posted by deleter
This is a bit weird since I successfully upgraded (with miles) my IST-LAX flight on Feb 27 and during the discussion with my local TK office they confirmed that they needed "J" availability to be able upgrade it, I don't recall with certainty if it had "I"availability as well, but I do not believe so.
Last year I was successful in upgrading with miles both segments on YUL-IST-TLV. The married journey was showing J4I0, YUL-IST was showing J4I2 and IST-TLV has J4I0. With my most recent experience trying to upgrade with miles last month on DXB-IST-BOS, each agent said the computer system would only allow upgrading on the one segment with positive I-class. I hope this isn't how upgrading with miles will work going forward, as the requirement for only J-class was a great benefit of using miles to upgrade vs. trying to find I-space for a limited capacity award.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:29 pm

However, a simple lack of information is not a scam. Scam means fraud.
Yes it is, when they flatly refuse to give you the information necessary to use your benefit, that's exactly what it is. The information was not just missing from their website due to incompetence, this is something they did consciously and purposefully as indicated by all the agents referring to a "system upgrade" in November 2018 that makes it impossible to get the information needed to determine upgrade availability (a lie, as obviously they still know J availability will do it and even third party websites can provide this info). If the system upgrade story is not true then it means they specifically trained the staff not to give out the required information and it would seem specifically told them not to mention J class. It's a clear attempt to prevent use of the vouchers.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:33 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Hmm my POV is that TK should really electronicize their EP upgrade vouchers. I don't get why they haven't.
It's a perk they would need to honor anyway, having it bookable online will just save everyone so much effort.

My other observation is that, try to call a smaller local office if possible. This is true for TK and other airlines.
U.S. call center typically receive too many calls, and some staff may not be experienced, while smaller outstations sometimes have experienced staff, and having fewer customers meaning they may be able more patient to deal with whatever newbie questions you may have.

I called their Taipei office last time and was really happy with the service. I spoke to them in Mandarin though.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by tya
Hmm my POV is that TK should really electronicize their EP upgrade vouchers. I don't get why they haven't.
It's a perk they would need to honor anyway, having it bookable online will just save everyone so much effort.
Exactly, but their interest isn't for you to use these vouchers, it's to prevent you from using them.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: TK Elite
Does J fare bucket availability absolutely guarantee the vouchers will process through?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Does J fare bucket availability absolutely guarantee the vouchers will process through?
Unfortunately no due to IT problems. Sometimes both I and J fare bucket must be available so that the hotline/sales office agents could complete the upgrade.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately no due to IT problems. Sometimes both I and J fare bucket must be available so that the hotline/sales office agents could complete the upgrade.
Thank you, thankfully Expertflyer should show this
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AirCanada881
Thank you, thankfully Expertflyer should show this
Rely on Expertflyer at your peril. Use it for alerts but no more...

The best place to check is on the TK website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.