Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
I did try to use my E+ voucher when the upgrade with miles failed. The agent said that upgrade with E+ voucher was also not available.
This also doesn't change the fact that needing to first issue a ticket before being able to check for upgrade availability is a nuisance.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
I did try to use my E+ voucher when the upgrade with miles failed. The agent said that upgrade with E+ voucher was also not available.
This also doesn't change the fact that needing to first issue a ticket before being able to check for upgrade availability is a nuisance.
The good thing is,if there is such,that DXB-IST is only 4 hour flight. I would call again and ask them to release the seat in I class. Did TK charged the business upgrade miles only as per US-Turkey chart or you used E+ voucher for BOS-IST segment?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Turkish Air
I just got the following horrific story from Turkish:

I had my assistant to find out how to use upgrades. They were extremely unhelpful trying to avoid giving her any info because she was "not the card holder" even though she was only asking general questions. Eventually they told her, just call us and check the flights you want to book and we'll tell you if they can be upgraded.

So I called and tried to do that. Now they claim that they will not tell me unless I give them a ticket number. What a convenient scam. I don't want to buy a flight that I cannot upgrade and why would they EVER upgrade a ticket after the fact? It's hard enough to use miles (no availability). This basically means that these "free upgrades" are a lie and a scam. I'm never going to manage to book a flight by random accident that can be "upgraded".

Please tell me there is some kind of work around for this gigantic scam?

To make matters worse one of them told me that they "changed their system in November" to make it "impossible to get this information with a ticket number".

Do the instructions above still work? If you book a seat on a flight with J class and then call quickly will you get the upgrade or will they just screw you anyway? It seems like there is zero incentive for them to ever upgrade after you've already bought a non-refundable economy ticket and this seems like a scam designed specifically to customers from using these vouchers. I have rarely ever seen a flight with empty business class seats so I'm sure they will just say they're all booked every time.

It seems like these vouchers are now worthless.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:33 am

I should have used a US based OTA to mitigate the risk with 24-hr cancellation. Incidentally, there is I-space on IST-BOS only (not DXB-IST), I wonder if I-space is a new requirement for upgrade?

Has anyone had any luck confirming upgrade availability (using miles or E+ certs) without a ticket first being issued in the last few weeks?

Going forward, this is going to be a serious pain to use E+ certs if we need to issue tickets and then confirm availability, with no indication that positive J space provides any assurances! Might need to re-consider FF programs if it will become too difficult to upgrade and use my E+ certs...
What is a US based "OTA"? I was just going to ask is there a way to get a ticket number and then cancel it and then do this again and again until you can use your voucher without having cancellation fees?

This is absolutely criminal what this worthless airline has pulled to screw all their Elite Plus members.

Is there a good airline that will match Elite Plus? The upgrades were the only reason I flew Turkish to get Elite Plus instead of the vastly superior (and sometimes cheaper) Qatar airlines.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Last Wednesday while checking in for our outbound flight ARN-IST-BKK, my partner found out that his inbound BKK-IST disappeared from the booking. We were helped by a friendly agent in Arlanda Airport and after about 15 minutes, he was able to rebook the BKK-IST segment in business class. He was not sure what caused it to disappear tho. He also mentioned that on Amadeus and other GDS, booking class I should be available for us to use the Elite plus voucher. Re our IST-ARN segment which didnt have availability in business class, he advised us to ask the agent in Bangkok Airport while checking in for our inbound if they could open up space for us (which others have also reported on this thread)
Can anyone confirm or deny whether booking class J and/or I definitely works?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: TK E+ *G, AA Gold, A7 *S
Originally Posted by jay49
What is a US based "OTA"?
This would be a third-party booking site like Expedia or Orbitz. These sites typically give you a 24-hour cancellation window for all tickets (as required by US law).

Just two notes of caution on this approach:

1. Your name in the booking via a site like Expedia must exactly match the name in your M&S account. I once wasn't able to upgrade an Expedia booking because Expedia included my middle name, whereas my M&S account didn't have the middle name.

2. If you book via Expedia using a non-US credit card, you may lose money during a refund process due to exchange rate fluctuations. I've booked before using a South African credit card and cancelled within a few hours. But due to the refund posting on a different day, I lost about $15 due to exchange rates.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I was able to upgrade a ticket yesterday without issues, although it took 2 calls because the first agent wanted 4 vouchers for my itinerary. The upgrade cleared into J class. With the new system, the fare class on my ticket did not update to J, although the reservation did update.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by jay49
I just got the following horrific story from Turkish:

I had my assistant to find out how to use upgrades. They were extremely unhelpful trying to avoid giving her any info because she was "not the card holder" even though she was only asking general questions. Eventually they told her, just call us and check the flights you want to book and we'll tell you if they can be upgraded.

So I called and tried to do that. Now they claim that they will not tell me unless I give them a ticket number. What a convenient scam. I don't want to buy a flight that I cannot upgrade and why would they EVER upgrade a ticket after the fact? It's hard enough to use miles (no availability). This basically means that these "free upgrades" are a lie and a scam. I'm never going to manage to book a flight by random accident that can be "upgraded".

Please tell me there is some kind of work around for this gigantic scam?

To make matters worse one of them told me that they "changed their system in November" to make it "impossible to get this information with a ticket number".

Do the instructions above still work? If you book a seat on a flight with J class and then call quickly will you get the upgrade or will they just screw you anyway? It seems like there is zero incentive for them to ever upgrade after you've already bought a non-refundable economy ticket and this seems like a scam designed specifically to customers from using these vouchers. I have rarely ever seen a flight with empty business class seats so I'm sure they will just say they're all booked every time.

It seems like these vouchers are now worthless.
When you or your assistant are not capable to do something, it does not mean it is a scam or a lie(too strong words). Just read the Wiki and do as written or call first and ask availability to purchase in J booking class although you would not purchase the ticket but will find the availability. Never had a problem with upgrade vouchers(J class) or redeeming miles( I class).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Gold
I can confirm that the E+ certificates are not a scam/lie and that they do work! I just upgraded a few days ago; it took TK about 3 weeks to complete the process due to an issue with how my last name is spelled in my account vs the e-ticket. The Elite line and the back office weren't able to help me upgrade all 4 flights w/ only 2 certificates (they offered to upgrade me on 3 flights) b/c of some unknown restriction, so I just called my local TK station and they somehow were able to upgrade me. I think it's just a matter of being patient with the TK CS reps.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by ttapps
2. If you book via Expedia using a non-US credit card, you may lose money during a refund process due to exchange rate fluctuations. ...
Or you may gain depending on the exchange rate.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Booked V class ticket 10 month in advance and immediately upgraded it to C using Elite Plus vouchers. During these 10 month multiple schedule changes occurred . Every time TK staff either called or e-mailed me to confirm. After confirmation they realized that's an upgraded flight and said they gonna need more time. After 30 minutes or more called back and confirmed everything's fine and it was. On the day of actual travel, outbound flight from IST was delayed for 5h. Lounge staff kindly rebooked me to an earlier flight, still in C. Everything was more than perfect except for the mileage credit. V should've earned 50% but I only got 25% for each flight segment.

Any hints on how to proceed (or give up)?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by dabee69
Booked V class ticket 10 month in advance and immediately upgraded it to C using Elite Plus vouchers. During these 10 month multiple schedule changes occurred . Every time TK staff either called or e-mailed me to confirm. After confirmation they realized that's an upgraded flight and said they gonna need more time. After 30 minutes or more called back and confirmed everything's fine and it was. On the day of actual travel, outbound flight from IST was delayed for 5h. Lounge staff kindly rebooked me to an earlier flight, still in C. Everything was more than perfect except for the mileage credit. V should've earned 50% but I only got 25% for each flight segment.

Any hints on how to proceed (or give up)?
fill out the online feedback form on the website. Attach your boarding pass image and an id image. They will issue the other 25%.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I was able to upgrade a ticket yesterday without issues, although it took 2 calls because the first agent wanted 4 vouchers for my itinerary. The upgrade cleared into J class. With the new system, the fare class on my ticket did not update to J, although the reservation did update.
Out of curiosity, were you able to check the J and I space numbers before you applied for your upgrade? Going forward, it would helpful if people could give examples based on the J/I situation of their flight(s) in question and then report back on their upgrade success or failures.

In my case, two weeks ago, I first tried to upgrade with miles and then when denied, I tried my E+ voucher which was also denied. In both cases, the call center said that only one of the two segments were available for upgrade. The loads, based on Expert Flyer, were as follows:
DXB-IST-BOS J4 I0 (searched as a married journey)
DXB-IST J4 I0
IST-BOS J4 I2
It could be that EF is showing incorrect information, so I double checked on TK's web-site that it was possible to purchase J on the married segments. Four separate agents confirmed however, that only the IST-BOS was open for upgrade using either miles or E+ voucher. So the only thing I could ascertain from my experience is that I-space is now also required.
I can confirm that about this last year the above was not the case, where I was able to upgrade with miles when only J- space was available (I=0) and the same situation for my E+ voucher. I'm wondering if their "new" computer system has changed anything in how upgrades are processed (apart from now requiring a ticket number to look-up space)?

On a positive note, TK did refund me the cancellation fee after submitting an on-line feedback and explaining the situation. It is still quite a hassle if we cannot confirm upgrade availability before ticketing. This is why concrete examples of the J- and I- loads prior to someone upgrading would help shed light on the current algorithm used by TK's "new" computer system for upgrading.

Last edited by YOW_RTW; Mar 7, 2019 at 3:59 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Out of curiosity, were you able to check the J and I space numbers before you applied for your upgrade? Going forward, it would helpful if people could give examples based on the J/I situation of their flight(s) in question and then report back on their upgrade success or failures.
I always check both - married and individual segments for J class availability. It has always worked me if both are available. My experience shows it has nothing to do with I class availability.

I have been able to waitlist upgrade for vouchers. It was a business trip I was willing to upgrade for vouchers. I'd fly anyway which is different from your situation. Outbound 2 flight connection cleared the day after, inbound LAX-IST never cleared and it was even overbooked in C.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:56 am

YOU GUYS ARE LIFE SAVERS.

This works effortlessly:

1) Use google matrix (or similar) to search for J class availability.

2) Book your economy ticket on priceline - it says clearly that it is refundable for 24 hours (wow I didn't know this) - even if you have flights that don't touch the US and even if you are booking outside the US, this still works.

3) Call Turkish and ask for the upgrade.

The whole process took 10 minutes. WOW. Awesome.

Not sure about I/L fares.

They took two vouchers for one trip though is that normal? Is a voucher 1 way, not one round trip?

Someone should update the wiki.

Last edited by jay49; Mar 7, 2019 at 7:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.