Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:50 am

[QUOTE=craigthemif;29851429]This is TK. Push things too far and you'll be in the last row of economy and earn no miles...

I don't know if it's pushing things too far. Even if these are courtesy upgrades, I can't find in the rules that miles of the original economy tickets need to be credited in M&S, thus the purpose of my question. The certificate is a bonus for your loyalty, it's true, but the miles of the economy ticket could have been credited to other *A programs before applying the certificate, so is miles crediting now restricted to M&S due to the application of the certificate?

Last edited by ranp07; Jun 11, 2018 at 5:18 am Reason: Mistake
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=ranp07;29852781]
Originally Posted by craigthemif
This is TK. Push things too far and you'll be in the last row of economy and earn no miles...

I don't know if it's pushing things too far. Even if these are courtesy upgrades, I can't find in the rules that miles of the original economy tickets need to be credited in M&S, thus the purpose of my question. The certificate is a bonus for your loyalty, it's true, but the miles of the economy ticket could have been credited to other *A programs before applying the certificate, so is miles crediting now restricted to M&S due to the application of the certificate?
My comment has nothing to do with rules, and everything to do with the fact that:
  • TK agents often don't understand English well enough
  • TK agents often don't know how to do anything out of the ordinary
  • TK's IT isn't particularly robust

Can you credit elsewhere? Probably. But it might go so horribly wrong that you'll regret ever having thought of it, because nobody at TK will be able or willing to fix it.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
[QUOTE=craigthemif;29852907]
Originally Posted by ranp07

My comment has nothing to do with rules, and everything to do with the fact that:
  • TK agents often don't understand English well enough
  • TK agents often don't know how to do anything out of the ordinary
  • TK's IT isn't particularly robust

Can you credit elsewhere? Probably. But it might go so horribly wrong that you'll regret ever having thought of it, because nobody at TK will be able or willing to fix it.

Absolute agreement! I'd be nervous of trying this even on Lufthansa
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DO NOT TRY THIS. I tried to do something similar, then (which was not my intention) got miles credited into both accounts, and then had one account suspended due to suspicious activity and the miles removed from the other account. Just not worth it.

Anyone have any current insight into my PEK question above?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by hfly
DO NOT TRY THIS.
YMMV. I have successfully done this (used E+ vouchers to upgrade, then changed FFP number at check-in from TK to UA) on 4 flights already. Always worked without a hitch - original Economy booking class credited to UA.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Anyone know when the second year's certificates hit your account?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I was wondering how people's luck has been lately with something like this? JFK-IST-PEK, then PEK-IST(stopover)-JFK, Has anyone lately been able to get this done with 2 vouchers?
Outbound should be no problem (if J available). I did it on LAX-IST-CPT, the legs of which are similarly busy/popular, it just took a bit of searching.

I have no experience with stopovers, but think I saw on FT that some people have upgraded journey incl. stopover with a single voucher. Depends on how monogamous those individual segments are, I suppose.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Anyone have any current insight into my PEK question above?
I thought the general expectation is that the underlying fare you book needs to allow for a stopover in IST en route. Even then YMMV. If you are combining separate tickets then no chance...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I know that a stopover needs to be allowed, I also know that the experiences vary, was just wondering perhaps in the recent past if anyone has any first hand experience.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:59 pm

First time trying to use this cert and encountered a (somewhat) weird issue.
Basically, I want to fly YUL-BKK-YUL so I do the following searches on TK website

If I search segment-by-segment: YUL->IST has J fare, IST->BKK does not. BKK->IST has J fare, IST->YUL does not.
If I search per direction: YUL->IST->BKK does not have J fare, BKK->IST->YUL has J fare
If I search as a round-trip: YUL->IST->BKK has J fare, BKK->IST->YUL does not.

Went to the Montreal ticket office. No one knows anything about how to use this cert. The rep insists that the cert can only be applied per segment and call the "help desk" to confirm that it is the case. Eventually, I asked her to call the TK call center and spoke to the supervisor to learn that it is per direction.

Once that is settled, it turns out that the "search as a round-trip" matched the inventory on her computer. I can only use 1 cert to upgrade YUL->IST->BKK and BKK->IST->YUL showed as waitlist. Even now, those legs still have published J fare but no J inventory on her computer.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, DL Plat, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Spire, IC Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
Anyone know when the second year's certificates hit your account?
In response to my own question, the upgrades hit the account in January of the second year of Elite Plus membership. I was hoping they hit on the anniversary date but looks like they go by calendar year.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by dtphonehome
In response to my own question, the upgrades hit the account in January of the second year of Elite Plus membership. I was hoping they hit on the anniversary date but looks like they go by calendar year.
This is not correct. You’ll receive them a few days after you enter your 2nd year.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerby

This is not correct. You’ll receive them a few days after you enter your 2nd year.
Same here.
I used one of mine weeks after my ‘anniversary’ mid-year.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyerby

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Same here.
I used one of mine weeks after my ‘anniversary’ mid-year.
good to know! Not surprised the rep didn’t know what he was talking about. I’ll call them a few days after my anniversary date (in a couple of weeks) and report back.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:06 am

Which kind of eco fare booking class shall one puchase in order to keep the return leg of a r/t itinerary (for which both legs shall be upgraded using the two available E+ vouchers) flexible in terms of the return date?

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.