Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Yes you can do that. It's not a rumor, it's mentioned on their website. I've done it once at the lounge in IST when flying to PVG. I had a CC seat and upgraded to biz.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by aulrik
I have now tried to spend my upgrade vouchers for 10 months, with no luck. There simply never seems to be any J availability on the routes I fly. My work schedule do not permit me to book tickets 5-6 months in advance, which seems to be necessary to ever find any J availability.

There are rumors that some check-in agents will actually let you use vouchers for upgrade if there is any C seats available, regardless of fare class. Anyone here have any practical experience with this?
Johenrik is right.
On the day of your flight J availability doesn't apply any more.Good Luck.

The use of those vouchers is becoming more difficult every year
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by moeser
Johenrik is right.
On the day of your flight J availability doesn't apply any more.Good Luck.

The use of those vouchers is becoming more difficult every year
Thanks for the details. I will cross my fingers and give it a try on my next flight.

Btw: Is it on the entire day of the flight you can upgrade without J being available? If my flight leaves at night, can I stop by the local TK Ticketing Office in the morning and get an upgrade?

Last edited by aulrik; Apr 21, 2013 at 7:30 pm Reason: Added question
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:52 am

I'm not sure and considering how TK works in all other aspects, I would assume it is all up to the person you talk to. Unless it is a huge hassle to go by their office in the morning I would definitely go for it and try.

I've had TK persons saying "it's not possible" and a few hours later I have upgraded at it IST lounge.

Like a lot with TK, it is a hit or miss kind of thing I guess.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:58 am

Thanks again. I will give it a try, the TK ticket office is just a few minutes walk from my office, so no major hassle to stop by there.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:02 am

Anytime. Please let us know how it went. It's always interesting to hear.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:51 am

I only knew about the possibility at the CI & CIP Lounge.
Don't know about TK offices.

Anyway it would be interesting to know if yo got an SWU or''Segments Only'' ?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:26 am

The website says it's possible to do "at check-in", but when I have tried that, they have told me to go to the TK office, which is located at ARN as well. Might be different at different locations.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by johhenrik
The website says it's possible to do "at check-in", but when I have tried that, they have told me to go to the TK office, which is located at ARN as well. Might be different at different locations.

TK at its best
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
How're the availabilities of upgrades for JFK-IST flights recently (I know awards [I] are PITA to get)? Is it too late to book 4 months ahead? I plan to use this upgrade voucher between early March and late April next year.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:43 am

expertflyer.com is your friend when searching for awards incl upgrades. I use that, once I get a hit I book the ticket or I book a ticket and I setup a notification in expertflyer and get an email once a seat is available.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:46 pm

Thanks again. I will give it a try, the TK ticket office is just a few minutes walk from my office, so no major hassle to stop by there.
Tried this last week. No availability in J on the day of departure, but a couple of available seats in C (don't remember what fare class). Went to the TK office around lunch time and after around 10 minutes of punching on her computer and talking to someone on the phone, I got upgraded to C.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:01 am

Tried this last week. No availability in J on the day of departure, but a couple of available seats in C (don't remember what fare class). Went to the TK office around lunch time and after around 10 minutes of punching on her computer and talking to someone on the phone, I got upgraded to C.
For all segments ?
Old May 10, 2013, 11:01 am

I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by moeser
For all segments ?
Yes, 3 segments all upgraded, used one voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.