Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaspars
For me it was always upgrade to J class indeed. But I would not still risk the chances, as TK IT system is not the greatest.
And for unknown to me reasons, TK call center cannot advise upfront on the voucher applicability, they must have a ticket number to check...

I usually book TK economy for the required flights and dates in Orbitz US site where you can cancel the booking free within 24h. Then I do another booking on TK website and keep it under EP free price guarantee.

Then I call TK and check if the issued Orbitz ticket is valid for upgrade. If yes, I immediately enter my credit card details and issue the real TK ticket, and ask them to upgrade right away.

After that is done, I cancel Orbitz ticket.

Complicated. But given only the 2 EP vouchers a year, worth the effort...
Of course you don't really need to do the double booking in Y, but in these times of COVID it's a clever way of booking direct instead of via an OTA...
Old Mar 12, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Of course you don't really need to do the double booking in Y, but in these times of COVID it's a clever way of booking direct instead of via an OTA...
How would you verify the REAL upgrade possibility with TK call center without the ticket number in hand? This is the only purpose to use OTA, as this tix would be cancelled within 24h

Last edited by kaspars; Mar 12, 2021 at 1:12 am
Old Mar 12, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
It's good information and useful technique, thank you for sharing with us.
My pleasure! Just always remember to use reputable US-based OTA (Expedia, Orbitz - same company anyway ) who clearly indicate the 24h free tix cancellation option. Not sure this rule applies with European OTAs.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaspars
How would you verify the REAL upgrade possibility with TK call center without the ticket number in hand? This is the only purpose to use OTA, as this tix would be cancelled within 24h
I know, and agree...

My point is that you don't actually need to cancel the OTA booking and make a direct booking. You can just upgrade the OTA booking and be done with it.

But I can see the value in the extra step in times where cancellations, changes and refunds are much more important considerations.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I know, and agree...

My point is that you don't actually need to cancel the OTA booking and make a direct booking. You can just upgrade the OTA booking and be done with it.

But I can see the value in the extra step in times where cancellations, changes and refunds are much more important considerations.
Indeed, the open ticket option, change, cancellations etc possible via website, feedback forms and TK call center is the reason why to book directly with TK, even though it might be cheaper via OTA in some cases.

Also, sometimes is not easy to book with OTA the semi-flexible tickets, or even to understand the ticket conditions and fees involved.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:26 pm

Upgrade hours before the flight

Was anyone successful in using the upgrade voucher on the day of the flight, after weeks without J availabity? If so, did you use the TK phone contact or went to the airport TK desk before the flight? Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
Originally Posted by ranp07
Was anyone successful in using the upgrade voucher on the day of the flight, after weeks without J availabity? If so, did you use the TK phone contact or went to the airport TK desk before the flight? Thanks.
Yes, I've done this multiple times. If there's space in J they will upgrade you even though there isn't upgrade class availability
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:30 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
+1. I was even once asked pro-actively at check-in if I wouldn't want to use my vouchers for this 14h flight. Apparently seats had opened up due to missing connecting pax.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airoli
+1. I was even once asked pro-actively at check-in if I wouldn't want to use my vouchers for this 14h flight. Apparently seats had opened up due to missing connecting pax.
Of course it's funny how your upgrade vouchers haven't been properly issued when you call months in advance, but on the day they are magically in your account for a check-in agent to see...
DaveS likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ranp07
As other posters mentioned, it's possible to use an ELPL voucher at the check-in counter despite "J" fare class availability.
However, you must request the upgrade at the airport, calling the hotline would not work for this case.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:56 am

I've booked for May 22, EWR - IST. There is J class availability but there is no upgrade availability. I'll keep checking.

Edit: Quick question, we have a pet traveling with us in the cabin. Can this be the reason that upgrade options don't appear as available for us? Maybe the customer representative should have added the pet after booking the flight?

Edit2: It was indeed the pet. We've removed the pet, then we could upgrade. One has to add the pet after all upgrades are completed. Another case that the customer representative did not know the proper procedure.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by max_kolesne; Apr 17, 2021 at 12:09 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: TK E+, BA EC Silver, Vistara Platinum, JP Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I am flying DXB-IST-IAH on the 12th of May on the outbound and IAH-IST-BOM on the way back in a few months. I called the TK call center and I was told it would not be possible to upgrade on the 11th (despite me seeing J class availability) and that I should instead book on the 12th (by an extremely helpful call center executive). I said thank you and hung up and called my travel agent to book the tickets and about half an hour later called back and got thru to another agent who was very difficult to understand. I asked for the first agent by name but apparently there was a shift change and the earlier helpful agent wasn't available.

This new agent now says that its not possible to upgrade my outbound leg as his system doesn't show it as eligible. I told him that I see J class availability so he puts me on hold to check and then comes back online and says that he can upgrade the IST-IAH leg on the outbound and the IST-BOM leg on the inbound. All legs show enough J availability. Outbound shows 5 J availability (for both segments) and inbound shows 9 J availability (for both segments) on my ticketed dates. Is it just a question of incompetent agents in the night shift and should I wait until the morning in Turkey to try my luck again. I see that J class seats are disappearing fast. Yesterday 11th May had 9 J seats available and today there were none. Earlier today 12th May had 9 J seats and now there are only 5. I am worried that the seats may not be available till the morning.

Also I can't go to a local office as it's Friday tomorrow here and the offices are closed (weekly off in Dubai) and I am thinking waiting till Saturday might be too late. Any advice or am I at the mercy of TKs technical systems.

P.S. What is worse that while all systems show 5 J availability, TK's own website is only showing K for both segments of the outbound and J for both segments of the inbound.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wandering_Indian

P.S. What is worse that while all systems show 5 J availability, TK's own website is only showing K for both segments of the outbound and J for both segments of the inbound.
All systems???

The only thing that matters is the TK website / internal systems. ExpertFlyer / ITA Matrix has led many a Flyertalker astray...
SFOTraveler1984 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Wandering_Indian
I am flying DXB-IST-IAH on the 12th of May on the outbound and IAH-IST-BOM on the way back in a few months. I called the TK call center and I was told it would not be possible to upgrade on the 11th (despite me seeing J class availability) and that I should instead book on the 12th (by an extremely helpful call center executive). I said thank you and hung up and called my travel agent to book the tickets and about half an hour later called back and got thru to another agent who was very difficult to understand. I asked for the first agent by name but apparently there was a shift change and the earlier helpful agent wasn't available.

This new agent now says that its not possible to upgrade my outbound leg as his system doesn't show it as eligible. I told him that I see J class availability so he puts me on hold to check and then comes back online and says that he can upgrade the IST-IAH leg on the outbound and the IST-BOM leg on the inbound. All legs show enough J availability. Outbound shows 5 J availability (for both segments) and inbound shows 9 J availability (for both segments) on my ticketed dates. Is it just a question of incompetent agents in the night shift and should I wait until the morning in Turkey to try my luck again. I see that J class seats are disappearing fast. Yesterday 11th May had 9 J seats available and today there were none. Earlier today 12th May had 9 J seats and now there are only 5. I am worried that the seats may not be available till the morning.

Also I can't go to a local office as it's Friday tomorrow here and the offices are closed (weekly off in Dubai) and I am thinking waiting till Saturday might be too late. Any advice or am I at the mercy of TKs technical systems.

Do not waste your time. TK agents were right, there are no availability in J on May 12th or 11th DXB-IST-IAH. Even when there is a J availability for DXB-IST and IST-IAH separately, for upgrade it must be shown J availability as a one flight with connection. It is called a "married segments".
craigthemif and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Do not waste your time. TK agents were right, there are no availability in J on May 12th or 11th DXB-IST-IAH. Even when there is a J availability for DXB-IST and IST-IAH separately, for upgrade it must be shown J availability as a one flight with connection. It is called a "married segments".
This is true, "married segment" availability is required on TK awards/upgrades which is the opposite for *A awards where "individual segment" availability is required.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.