Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by kiez
How long after the end of the first membership year does it take them to credit the account with the vouchers for the 2nd membership year?
My 1st one ended 31.03.2019 and I called today but none credited yet. Any experiences?
On the first day of the new membership year. I got ticketed economy class flights on the first day and got voucher upgrade confirmation on the same day.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I had no trouble upgrading my flights which were J4 I0 R0 earlier this month. I wouldn't be surprised if the restriction is something along the lines of flight is J6 or higher (as a poster above said the TPE office told him/her) - unfortunately, the public can't see above J4, but we can call TK and ask how many seats are available in the J bucket prior to booking.
Even if we know the upgrade J seats are available, I can tell you that the upgrade vouchers are already prohibitively difficult to use. I just check the dates in November from YYZ/YUL to East Asia, yes, there's none with more than 4 Js other than YYZ-HKG, and I'm not even sure if it's J4 or J6+.

Originally Posted by AirCanada881
I was eyeing CDG-IST-ICN/NRT-IST-CDG & did searches for 2 award tickets in "I" to make sure there was space, but it seems that won't help me & I know NRT is a high demand destination, what a terrible change I don't know what to do
Unfortunately you'll have to be flexible, try CDG-IST-ICN/NRT/PEK/PVG/CAN/HKG/TPE if you could, even this would be difficult based on my mock booking testing 7 months ahead.

updates:

Given TK has sales from Canada to East Asia frequently

TK: YUL-SIN/SGN J $2700/$3075 CAD (under 2k USD)

In
my case it's no longer worth upgrading once you factor in time involved and extra miles accrued, not to mention stopover options. I'll probably be best off trying to upgrade just YYZ/YUL-IST rt.

Last edited by vincewy; Apr 4, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
No issues today at the airport sales office in Frankfurt.

I have reserved my flights online in advance. At this time 2 more seats in J was available.

The employee checked the reservation, upgrade would be possible, than I paid.

Before I try to upgrade my flights via the elite hotline. Three times I called, 5 opinions I received, but no success in upgrading my reservation.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by fvn1312

I have reserved my flights online in advance. At this time 2 more seats in J was available.

Before I try to upgrade my flights via the elite hotline. Three times I called, 5 opinions I received, but no success in upgrading my reservation.
That's encouraging to hear! I understand that only 2 J seats were available & the sales office was able to confirm the upgrade before you paid - that's awesome!
Thanks for the data point.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by fvn1312

Moral of the story, airport agents not necessarily TK employees are more competent than actual TK employees... Very encouraging!!

Thanks for the data point I should have one more to add before month end.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I like Priceline, especially because you can select fare class via bookwithmatrix.com or the powertools extension.
It indeed works nicely but for someone who sometimes takes an interest at the edge of the window (especially when getting in addition an award ticket in the high season), Priceline’s edge of the window is about a month behind TK one.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
Dear agent: "I would like to apply my annual Elite Plus voucher. Could you please check if the following four segments of a round trip are available for an upgrade?"
Agent: "Please give me your ticket number"
Me: "I do not have a ticket yet. Could you please check award availability first."
Agent: "Since our system change three months ago that is not possible anymore."
Me: "So I should purchase a ticket and find out afterward if it can be upgraded or not?"
Agent: "Yes, I am sorry but that is correct."
Me: "No, that is definitely not correct. But thanks bye"
W.T.F.!!!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by cloudzocker
Dear agent: "I would like to apply my annual Elite Plus voucher. Could you please check if the following four segments of a round trip are available for an upgrade?"
Agent: "Please give me your ticket number"
Me: "I do not have a ticket yet. Could you please check award availability first."
Agent: "Since our system change three months ago that is not possible anymore."
Me: "So I should purchase a ticket and find out afterward if it can be upgraded or not?"
Agent: "Yes, I am sorry but that is correct."
Me: "No, that is definitely not correct. But thanks bye"
W.T.F.!!!
That is actually correct though. Agents appear to be strictly instructed to provide no information regarding upgrade availability without a ticket number. Your best bet is booking a flight through an OTA that gives you a 24-hour cancellation period.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
That is actually correct though. Agents appear to be strictly instructed to provide no information regarding upgrade availability without a ticket number. Your best bet is booking a flight through an OTA that gives you a 24-hour cancellation period.
Thank you max!
How about a Economy Flex ticket that I purchase directly on the TK Website? Would I get 100% refund when canceled the same day?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:49 am

As long as the cancellation terms do not specify any sort of penalty, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines
A real nightmare !
My husband is an Elite Plus member and a just called the helpdesk in order to get the free upgrade but the answer is : SORRY NOT POSSIBLE and why ? The system doesn't allow the free upgrade or any upgrade for your ticket !
The ticket is economy Q class, an expensive class for economy !
On TK site it is written that Q class economy is eligible for upgrade.
We fly TK for many years in order to benefits from their advantage but now I'm very very very disappointed about this answer !
Shall I continue with TK or change ? What do you think ?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nineville
A real nightmare !
My husband is an Elite Plus member and a just called the helpdesk in order to get the free upgrade but the answer is : SORRY NOT POSSIBLE and why ? The system doesn't allow the free upgrade or any upgrade for your ticket !
The ticket is economy Q class, an expensive class for economy !
On TK site it is written that Q class economy is eligible for upgrade.
We fly TK for many years in order to benefits from their advantage but now I'm very very very disappointed about this answer !
Shall I continue with TK or change ? What do you think ?
Hang Up and Call Again...

Have you checked for the appropriate J fare bucket availability for the flights you want to upgrade? Without it, your upgrade is unlikely to be processed. You can't just upgrade any flight you want...

Q can be upgraded. The issue is not there...

P.S. I'm not aware of too many other airlines that do complimentary long-haul upgrades for 40K mile per year travellers. Change programmes if you must but the grass probably isn't greener.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines
Yes I did and yes still availability on J class on business !!!!!!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nineville
Yes I did and yes still availability on J class on business !!!!!!
If you read through this thread, you'll see that we are just as confused and worried about the new system as you. But nobody knows for sure and we are just collecting data points to help guide decisions.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by craigthemif
P.S. I'm not aware of too many other airlines that do complimentary long-haul upgrades for 40K mile per year travellers. ...
On average that’s as little as 20K per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.