Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 25, 19, 11:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: craigthemif
Wiki Link
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Look for itinerary on TK.com which is selling J class for your specific flight combination. (not the FT shorthand but the actual "J" fare bucket, which is TK's lowest Business Class fare). "I" class (Business reward) can be helpful, but is not necessary or a reliable source of upgrade space.
2) Book Economy class ticket with a reputable USA-based Online Travel Agent that offers a 24-hour cooling off / full refund period
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, call TK 1-800-874-8875 to process upgrade.

If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling off period.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers - this is the PIN you use to log-on to your TK M&S account.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 19, 18, 7:18 pm

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
So ..... to change a ticket already upgraded with an e-voucher, paying only the underlying change fee, you'd need to align flights with the same Y availability as the original plus J availability for those flights, to enable the upgrade to stick.

And then find an agent to handle it

good luck with all that!
When I did mine, the Y fare bucket can be different. Usually it becomes more expensive fare type, typically V to E or L as it gets closer to travel date. Given the complexity compounded by language issue, just go to ticket office and have supervisor take care of it. This person is almost always a Turkish employee TK sent to the office overseas.

If you're not pressed for time and know the J is plenty, you can try to do this over email with the ticket office. The catch is having to fac them both sides of your credit card for payment.
Old Jul 20, 18, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by vincewy View Post

If you're not pressed for time and know the J is plenty, you can try to do this over email with the ticket office. The catch is having to fac them both sides of your credit card for payment.
I had to change the return date on a low fare economy ticket for an emergency at home. The telephone process was hard work, the supplements to be paid crazy, and there was additional craziness about how to make the payment.

Then I had the bright idea of extending the hang-up-and-try-again idea to tracking down the local office - where they were unbelievably efficient getting me on a same day flight for less than $100. I guess they are pretty much used to handling situations like that.
Old Aug 2, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus, SAS EuroBonus Gold, American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just made a successful voucher upgrade. Booked ARN-IST-EZE round trip in Economy Class with the quickest connections. Made a pay&fly booking and gave the Elite Plus line a call to confirm the upgrade availability. I had previously checked the availability on ExpertFlyer, and J-class was available on the selected flights. Interesting to note is that J-class is no longer sold as paid tickets from Scandinavia, so you have to check twice before completing any ticketing and upgrade transactions.

Once the ticket was issued through the mobile app (the website didn't accept my Amex for whatever reason), I instantly gave them a callback and completed the upgrade on the phone with a different agent. The upgrade process took roughly 15 minutes to complete, and the agent was very professional. All four segments upgraded to Business Class with both of my vouchers which is an excellent deal.

Despite the somewhat high fares in Economy Class, this benefit definitely makes it worth wile paying the extra premium. I paid €800 for a round trip ticket in Economy Class over the Christmas and New Year's period which is an okay deal.
Old Aug 6, 18, 2:35 am

I skimmed through this thread but didn't find my question answered; Is an award ticket (booked by another *A carrier) on TK metal upgradeable with one the E+ upgrade vouchers?
Old Aug 6, 18, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by L4ibsch View Post
I skimmed through this thread but didn't find my question answered; Is an award ticket (booked by another *A carrier) on TK metal upgradeable with one the E+ upgrade vouchers?
I can't believe you are building up too much hope for a positive answer

It's a no.
Old Aug 6, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus, SAS EuroBonus Gold, American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by L4ibsch View Post
It needs to be issued by Turkish Airlines. Also the terms and conditions clearly state that award tickets are excluded from this benefit. You could always try and ask them at the airport, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Sep 9, 18, 9:46 am

Has anyone use this certificate for "last minute upgrade" before? Does it have to be at the airport only or it can be done via a phone?
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:02 am

With TK, I learn new things every day!

Today, I was at the check-in counter at the time it was open. When I checked-in, there was one business class seat available so I informed the agent that I would like to use my elite plus cert for a last minute upgrade. The agent said that she could not give it to me and I have to wait until 1 hour before the flight depart (which contradicts everything TK website said). Now, I am at the gate and the seat is gone ...
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:44 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by godsquare View Post
With TK, I learn new things every day!

Today, I was at the check-in counter at the time it was open. When I checked-in, there was one business class seat available so I informed the agent that I would like to use my elite plus cert for a last minute upgrade. The agent said that she could not give it to me and I have to wait until 1 hour before the flight depart (which contradicts everything TK website said). Now, I am at the gate and the seat is gone ...
Ay...I hope that wasn’t your last chance to use it before it expires. I haven’t had this problem when using the vouchers at check-in, but maybe they get stingy if there’s a chance the seat can still be sold.
Or maybe friend/family upgrade was more important than an E+
Old Sep 12, 18, 12:08 pm

Programs: TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Just used my voucher to upgrade a booking I made on an OTA, (Stockholm to Bangkok for 4666KR with their current promo). I did check Amadeus before purchasing and saw there were J class available on all the segments but when I called TK, only the outbound was upgradeable and none on the inbound. I was told to check back later. Interesting since I could still see J4 on the inbound after the call. I hope it opens up in the coming months, or I might have to book a new trip to use my 2nd voucher before it expire

Last edited by thefilipinotraveler; Sep 12, 18 at 3:38 pm
Old Sep 12, 18, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One seat at check-in means nothing, they could have been in an oversell situation for example, someone could have walked up and bought the seat, you never know.
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:58 pm

Programs: Turkish M&S Gold
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler View Post
Just used my voucher to upgrade a booking I made on an OTA, (Stockholm to Bangkok for 4666KR with their current promo). I did check Amadeus before purchasing and saw there were J class available on all the segments but when I called TK, only the outbound was upgradeable and none on the inbound. I was told to check back later. Interesting since I could still see J4 on the inbound after the call. I hope it opens up in the coming months, or I might have to book a new trip to use my 2nd voucher before it expire
Availability is a funny thing. Things that may affect why you see J-class available when TK doesn't may be:
  • You are looking at individual segments compared to married (or the opposite)
  • Availability is different depending on the flights booked: TK sometimes does this, that outbound availability flights affect inbound availability
  • Due to your PNR availability may be different: I've seen airlines do this as well (especially KLM), where certain classes are not available when a pnr is open compared to when there is no ticket - presumably because a purchased ticket will require the holder to upgrade compared to a non-purchased ticket where the holder can go with an alternative.
  • Availability may be different depending on GDS (Amadeus vs. Turkish) and POS
  • TK incompetence
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: TK elite+ = *gold, MarriWood Platinum Premier (almost LTP), HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Thumbs up Great call center experience and I love being TK elite+

Just another data point: Called the turkish call center today and this was the best experience ever (when trying to book complex Partner awards, I also had much luck last because it usually only took two tries to get it done - with really complex stuff that only 1 of three LH miles & more agents could handle correctly).

Using my elite+ voucher today: booked ticket with AMEX travel website to use my travel credit (took 1 hour till they actually had the ticketing processed), checked availability =J4, felt lucky enough to finish my office work today before calling in for the upgrade.
Took 15 seconds to get connected to an Agent, he had checked availability after 30 seconds, used 1 vocher to upgrade CGN-IST-HRG with 11 hour layover, and the whole thing took just about 4 minutes - would have been 3 if I had had my ticket number ready (I was assuming the PNR would be sufficient and had to look the ticket number up first).
As fast and professional as LX, much better than LH, very happy.

total cost with AMex voucher, E Class and upgrade: 75 EUR

Thanks guys for teaching me this stuff from 2005-2015, and Lifetime Marriott platinum Status is also almost done
vincewy, Lewis42 and gr8pirate like this.

Last edited by zap7; Sep 14, 18 at 12:20 pm Reason: fixed typos
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:52 am

Programs: TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Just an update: Called TK today and asked if there are now available seats for my inbound flight in February (BKK-IST-ARN). I was told that thereīs still no availability but when she cheked the BKK-IST and IST-ARN separately, they are available (using 2 vouchers). I told her to upgrade me on the BKK-IST flight using my voucher and that itīs okay for me to fly IST-ARN in economy since itīs just a short flight. Itīs good to know to have this as an option especially when your voucher is expiring soon
craigthemif likes this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 12:59 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler View Post
I told her to upgrade me on the BKK-IST flight using my voucher and that itīs okay for me to fly IST-ARN in economy since itīs just a short flight. Itīs good to know to have this as an option especially when your voucher is expiring soon
I did a similar thing with mine this year: no availability on the short legs, which is unfortunate but something I can live with.

Lucked out last year on LAX-IST-JNB return, so I won’t complain ;-)

Search this Thread