Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAW - Istanbul Sabiha airport...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
I recently transited twice at SAW, and cannot recommend it if you have a connecting flight.

There is a major bottleneck for transit passengers - a single person checking boarding passes, and then a single security scanner for people to get through. When I arrived, there were over 500 people queuing to get through, with the queue extending 200 yards down the corridor. And in traditional Turkish fashion, it was chaos with people trying to push to the front, a huge scrum.

The security was a joke - they were rushing to get passengers through. I kept my laptop in my bag with a 500 ml bottle of water, and it didn't get caught. I kept my belt on by accident, set off the beeper on the gate and was just waved through so they could hurry people up.

The infrastructure at SAW is severely lacking.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Not bad about security; DXB is the same in its laxity.

Thanks for the report about transit. Perhaps it's due to Pegasus Airlines, which is really increasing its network and marketing -- in both Dubai and Doha, they are advertising very attractive fares to Europe via SAW. Timings are great too (though the DOH flight is not every day).

If they can solve the infrastructure issues there, it could be a nice offering. Maybe they'll join SkyTeam too!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by mecabq
Not bad about security; DXB is the same in its laxity.

Thanks for the report about transit. Perhaps it's due to Pegasus Airlines, which is really increasing its network and marketing -- in both Dubai and Doha, they are advertising very attractive fares to Europe via SAW. Timings are great too (though the DOH flight is not every day).

If they can solve the infrastructure issues there, it could be a nice offering. Maybe they'll join SkyTeam too!
Yes, I was flying Pegasus and 90% of my flight was transiting, and 10 other Pegasus flights had arrived in a similar window, so the transit was chaos. It's a real bottleneck.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The SAW experience?

I booked a flight LGW-SAW-TLV (I had to look SAW up and make sure this was not a code share.

How is the transit there?
When did TK start using SAW?
Is there a dedicated lounge?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You could try doing a search.
"SAW transfers" produces a number of threads including this one that addresses a couple of your questions.
And, if you looked at the SAW website, you'd find there is a TK CIP lounge for both international and domestic passengers.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Feb 16, 2014 at 8:44 pm Reason: added SAW CIP lounge link
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:11 pm

Fastest way from SAW to IST during morning rush??

Can you please advise on quickest way from SAW to IST on a Wednesday morning during rush hour?

I arrive in SAW (back from Cappadocia ) via Pegasus Air at 7:20, and hope to be outside SAW airport by 8:00.

I need to get over to IST by 12:00 for my 1:40 flight back home (to US).

I naively and originally thought 4 hours is plenty of time to get from SAW to IST, but a personal transport service quoted me 5 hours.

There will be 3 of us, all light travelers (single backpack each, plus 1 large duffle bag among us), if this matters? Should I be worried about making our 1:40 IST flight?

I appreciate your help!!!!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bill25inDE
Can you please advise on quickest way from SAW to IST on a Wednesday morning during rush hour?

I arrive in SAW (back from Cappadocia ) via Pegasus Air at 7:20, and hope to be outside SAW airport by 8:00.

I need to get over to IST by 12:00 for my 1:40 flight back home (to US).

I naively and originally thought 4 hours is plenty of time to get from SAW to IST, but a personal transport service quoted me 5 hours.

There will be 3 of us, all light travelers (single backpack each, plus 1 large duffle bag among us), if this matters? Should I be worried about making our 1:40 IST flight?

I appreciate your help!!!!
if you have small luggage with you

from my own exprience public transportation is the best and fastest, uncomfortable but cheap

for that I generally use this route, but please use it on your own risk ..

Take E-10 or E-11 Bus from Sabiha gökçen ( but Take ONLY Express ones )

Before you get on, ask that you want to go UZUNÇAYIR Metrobüs station

Timetable is here but dont trust it

E-10

http://mobil.iett.gov.tr/en/mobil/ha.../&durak=A2411A

E-11

http://mobil.iett.gov.tr/en/mobil/ha.../&durak=A2411A

and than get off the station which is called

Uzunçayır Metrobüs ( I am not sure but with express buses takes around 30-45 min)

and ask for a direction to metrobüs station , take only 2 min. by walking

There ask someone that you want to Go

Zincirlikuyu ( takes around 18-20 min)

He will tell you which direction ( because all the buses goes to 2 direction to asia side or to europe side , you need to go to europe side)

get on a bus to europe side, and at some point you will reach the last stop, everybody will get off,

there ask for a metrobüs

which goes to

Şirinevler ( takes around 36 min)

get off at Şirinevler Station

there ask for metro station which is 1-2 min walking distance

there get the metro to

atatürk airport, ( takes around 10-12 min)

than you will be at Atatürk airport..

well might look like complicated but after Uzunçayır it is reallt easy
after uzunçayır Metrobüs has it is own special road but if one of the buses stuck at that route ,it might be a problem :-)))

total cost less than 10TL

it will be a fun for you :-))

2.option , much easy may take longer

Take a havataş bus from Sabiha gökçen to Taksim than
make a transfer with another havataş bus from Taksim to atatürk airport

I believe you need 2,5-3 hours

10+13tl = 26 TL

Timetable
http://havatas.com/

3. option Taxi

around 120TL but you can barter , may be you can make 100TL

it may take 35 min ( which I did it once with rental car )
up to 3 hours :-))))

Like this or like that You will be definetly there between 11:00-12:00

Last edited by xxlboy; Apr 18, 2014 at 1:12 am
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
There is an alternate way to direct transfer between SAW to IST.

Check this link: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us...anbul-airports

33 TL per person and also can earn 50 bonus miles to your M&S account.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: TK Classic, A3
If you're transitting from Istanbul, choose SAW. Its much faster than IST
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by yig345
If you're transitting from Istanbul, choose SAW. Its much faster than IST
Do you mean transiting through SAW (as opposed to IST) right?

I'll be flying ESB-SAW-Europe (PG has great fares from Turkey to Europe) later this year, I hope 1.5 hours will be enough (it's a protected connection under 1 ticket). I did domestic to domestic connection (in April) and would've made it within 30 minutes. PG has really cheap fares from SAW to many points in Europe (G fares), but not the reverse (I believe it's EU departure tax).

Out of Istanbul it seems like it's worth paying a little more flying with TK out of IST to any domestic points (although I really don't like IST-ESB - highway robbery)
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by cagcag
Havas services have been replaced by HAVATAS--same company different name (somewhat local politics causing that).

http://havatas.com/en/

The associated links for timings do not seem to be currently online, but the services DO exist from SAW to Taksim as well as SAW to Kadikoy.
I believe the first bus from SAW leaves around 05:00.

Incorrect..havaş & havataş not the same company.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:09 pm
Suspended

FYI.there is now a service for MS members from SAW to IST for,I think 33 TRY,it has to be preebooked. Have not used it,though,from the advertising material it seems rather good.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:49 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Is there a dedicated lounge?
There is the LGM lounge @ SAW which is contracted and used by TK and other carriers. It's rather small with adequate catering.

Here is a link to my report with pics of this lounge.

http://flight-report.com/en/report-7263.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.