FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Connection time in IST? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1093238-connection-time-ist.html)

UpstateNY Jun 7, 2010 10:23 am

Connection time in IST?

I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer: I have a TK flight out of IST at 8:25 a.m. to FRA. I'll be in Cappadocia the previous day. There's a morning flight out of ASR arriving into IST at 7:45 a.m. Is that too tight to make the 8:25 flight to FRA? The alternative is to take the last flight out of ASR the previous evening and hang around at a hotel near the airport.

aricane Jun 7, 2010 9:08 pm

I think it would be a tough one, since you need to change terminals, go thru two security checkpoints, passport control, if the domestic leg has a delay, you have no chance. But if you feel lucky, go for it.

rozy Jun 8, 2010 11:54 am

The connection you want to do is too risky.

The aircraft for ASR-IST is an incoming from IST same morning. A slight delay would cost you. And because it is not a recommended/ticketed connection, you will be a no-show for your FRA flight.

Too risky!

UpstateNY Jun 9, 2010 8:14 am

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I suspected this would be the answer. Looks like I'll be taking the previous night's flight from ASR.

Lux Jun 16, 2010 4:02 am

Is there a confirmed MCT (minimum connection time) in IST for international-to-international connections? I have a 60 minute connection around midday, and suspect that I will make it but my bags may not.

Any experiences that can be shared will be gratefully received!

swiss_global Jun 20, 2010 3:32 am

I don't know the official MCT international to international.

From my experience 60 mins should work in general. TK closes departure gates 15 mins before departure and the walking distances are 15 to 20 mins maximum. But just remember that if it's not on one ticket and especially if more than one airline is involved, a relatively minor delay of the incoming flight may lead to a non-show which is at your risk ...

Baggage handling at IST is usually reliable, but they obviously can't do any miracles ...

rozy Jun 23, 2010 7:16 pm

From Amadeus

IST STANDARD MINIMUM CONNECTING TIMES
IST-IST
D/D 0:30
D/I 1:30
I/D 1:15
I/I 1:00

SAW-SAW
D/D 0:20
D/I 1:00
I/D 1:00

onuhistorian0116 Jun 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Turkish Airlines Baggage

In November I am flying TK from ORD to AYT via IST.

TK's baggage policy is a little unclear. It is clear I can check two bags for free (which is nice, because I want to take a garment bag for my suit, and a regular suitcase for the rest of my clothes and my liquids) but they say I can check two suitcases up to 23 KG. Does that mean I can check 23 KG's in total or I can check two bags weighing up to 23 KG's a piece?

I called TK's Chicago office, but they wouldn't answer my question, the customer service lady I talked to told me she couldn't answer my question because I bought my ticket from a third party (Travelocity).

Lux Jun 24, 2010 1:03 am

I changed in Istanbul, and survived.

The connection was from BGW, onwards to LHR. I think it may have been the origin that meant we arrived at an pier, got onto the airbridge, walked down the steps to the tarmac, waited for a bus, were driven 500 metres, back up steps to another airbridge, in through security screening, and thence to the transit desk.

Once this was completed it was fine, and my baggage made it despite the handwritten tags. It was a slightly farcical affair but the Efes on tap in the lounge made it more tolerable.

rozy Jun 24, 2010 5:06 am

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116 (Post 14186133)
Does that mean I can check 23 KG's in total or I can check two bags weighing up to 23 KG's a piece?

It is "two bags" weighing up to 23 KG's "a piece".

ariyo15 Jul 9, 2012 3:57 pm

MUC-IST-AYT With a 55min. Connection

Is this too tight?

Arriving (ex-MUC) into IST at 22:50 and want to be on a TK flight at 23:45 to AYT - can I make it?

Atuchan Apr 5, 2013 8:59 am

Just curious,

I am looking for an itinerary but it only has 30 min connection time (I-I) and the next available flight is next day.

If you do not have minimum connection time in IST (60min) and your next connecting flight has to be next day, does TK offer transit hotel for free? Or do they interpret the rule strictly and since there is a flight (albeit the fact that they do not allow legal connection), they do not offer hotel for free?

I checked free hotel FAQ thread but I could not find that particular case.

vincewy Apr 17, 2014 6:18 pm

For int. to domestic

April 17th, 5 pm at IST.

Absolutely the worst I've ever seen as far as queues for immigration and some have int-to-domestic connections with less than 1:30.

I did check my time walking out of international flight to domestic check-in counters (inside domestic terminal), assuming:

1. You're E/E+/C class passengers using fast-track lane next to the crews/diplomats.
2. Your visa is ready (I believe visa stamp counter is still there as of April 17th despite their claiming end of visa stamp).
3. You know absolutely where you are going. (familiar with the airport)

It's 1 hour walking to domestic terminal slowly and comfortably. TK and AtlasJet close check-in 45 and 30 minutes respectively prior to departure so I'd pd at least 2 hours for this assuming your international flight is not delayed (JFK-IST usually isn't since their gates are almost always waiting for them) and you pick up your luggage right away.

I saw quite a few folks running/rushing to domestic check-in desks to beat the deadlines and having both segments in one PNR vs 2 seperate PNRs, IMHO, makes little difference as far as connection time.

KiteM Nov 18, 2014 3:05 am

Hi
where I can check the minimum transfer time for Ataturk airport?

starflyergold Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by rozy (Post 14185362)
From Amadeus

IST STANDARD MINIMUM CONNECTING TIMES
IST-IST
D/D 0:30
D/I 1:30
I/D 1:15

SAW-SAW
D/D 0:20
D/I 1:00
I/D 1:00

Originally Posted by KiteM (Post 23858807)
Hi
where I can check the minimum transfer time for Ataturk airport?