Connection time in IST?

Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
I did a quick search but couldn't find an answer: I have a TK flight out of IST at 8:25 a.m. to FRA. I'll be in Cappadocia the previous day. There's a morning flight out of ASR arriving into IST at 7:45 a.m. Is that too tight to make the 8:25 flight to FRA? The alternative is to take the last flight out of ASR the previous evening and hang around at a hotel near the airport.
YES!! No doubt. I conect from domestic to international at least 2 times a month,and this is not feasible,if you have priority and is very Lucky you might make it,but that would be a 1 in 10 chance at the best,-sory!! In ten years of living in Turkey I have NEWER scheduled a 40 min conection,I have made it from domestic to int a couple of times in that amount of time,but its totaly unrealistic to count on.

Last edited by geirfugl; Nov 23, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: GOLD: AZ....maybe :-P
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Originally Posted by rozy View Post
From Amadeus

IST STANDARD MINIMUM CONNECTING TIMES
IST-IST
D/D 0:30
D/I 1:30
I/D 1:15
I/I 1:00

SAW-SAW
D/D 0:20
D/I 1:00
I/D 1:00
I/I 1:00

Yes....I can read

I was meaning something official then a thread post.

I lost my international flight (was around 2h later then the domestic flight) and the insurance doesn't want to pay me argue there was no enough time between flights
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Any more current info about Int-Int @ IST? Is 1:05 adequate LAX-IST-TLV, in C?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:54 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by CO FF
We managed xxx-IST-LAX two weeks ago but it was tough. We arrived a half hour early, then after 15 minutes or so were finally sent to a remote position on the tarmack. Business class was quickly bussed to the terminal. We had fast track at security but then were merged with coach into a very slow lane. We had a long walk thru a very busy terminal to the gates for US flights. We arrived before the flight started boarding, but certainly didn't feel fresh after a very active walk. I strongly suggest that you only take carry on. I'd be very pessimistic about checked luggage making the transfer.

Check FlightAware and see if your flights are arriving on time. Our xxx-IST showed it was typically arriving a bit early and IST-LAX was departing on time. That gave me some confidence about us making the transfer.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by CO FF
It's doable but somewhat risky. That said, with the frequency of flights IST-TLV, you probably won't have to wait too long for the next available flight, and spending some time in the lounge is not a bad idea anyway.

Shuly
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Yes.
We are doing ATH-IST-LAX in May. We have 1:10 connection time and are in C, so ordinarily would think it's enough but we will also be with our 2 year old, so have to gate checking stroller.

Edit: Just noticed that we are on a 777 ATH-IST. Is it likely that we'll be closer to our LAX gate? Also overhead bins should be big enough for umbrella stroller (hopefully!)

Last edited by econjon; Mar 15, 2016 at 4:32 pm Reason: update info
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus/EK Skywards Gold/Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by econjon
We are doing ATH-IST-LAX in May. We have 1:10 connection time and are in C, so ordinarily would think it's enough but we will also be with our 2 year old, so have to gate checking stroller.

Edit: Just noticed that we are on a 777 ATH-IST. Is it likely that we'll be closer to our LAX gate? Also overhead bins should be big enough for umbrella stroller (hopefully!)
1:10 is not too bad, even with a stroller. Just alert the ATH-IST cabin staff that you have short connection, they'll inform the ground staff.
For the gate, it's always a gamble at IST. Normally, long-hauls do not board by buses. Should be something like gates 201-218
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Regnum
Normally, long-hauls do not board by buses. Should be something like gates 201-218
Every single long haul (A330 or B777) I have been on lately has been a bus gate. No guarantees at all there.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Regnum
1:10 is not too bad, even with a stroller. Just alert the ATH-IST cabin staff that you have short connection, they'll inform the ground staff.
For the gate, it's always a gamble at IST. Normally, long-hauls do not board by buses. Should be something like gates 201-218
1:10 is too risky even with status and/or flying in J under 1 NPR. If for some reason you do make it there's a good chance that your checked bag(s) may not make it. Gates 201 - 218 are seeing constructions next to the taxiway, and most of those gates were not used late last year...

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Every single long haul (A330 or B777) I have been on lately has been a bus gate. No guarantees at all there.
.. probably for this reason nearly all long hauls are bused. I am about to fly ORD - IST and will check if the construction is still going.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
We will be arriving CDG - IST and will have to reclaim luggage, check-in, and catch our connecting flight IST - ATH. The tickets are on separate PNRs and we can't interline the luggage. Is 2 hours enough time?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It will be tight but if your CDG-IST flight is on time, you should be make it. But there will not be much room for delays etc. Check-in for IST-ATH will close 1 hour prior to departure, so in reality you have 1 hour to clear immigration, collect your bags and get to the check-in desks. If there is a later IST-ATH flight you should consider that.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by sonomawine
We will be arriving CDG - IST and will have to reclaim luggage, check-in, and catch our connecting flight IST - ATH. The tickets are on separate PNRs and we can't interline the luggage. Is 2 hours enough time?
Unlikely. If your CDG flight is on time and you get a gate (as opposed to the much more likely outside position) and you're among the first to leave the aircraft and you know your way around IST and you are not subjected to security checks (this should be the case for a CDG arrival, but you never know at IST) and the line for immigration is short (ppl have reported 40-60 minute wait times some times) and your luggage is waiting for you on the belts, then there's some chance you'll make it in an hour. Then there's check in, security, immigration and a walk to the gate. I believe your chances are very low. I would definitely take a later flight to ATH, especially if missing the earlier one will inconvenience you (as in, you will be a no show and the remainder of your itinerary will be canceled).

Shuly
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Thank you SK AAR & Shuly for the advice The best option would be for AF to allow us to not continue onto IST directly but route us to ATH. Not sure if it will work, but these tickets were purchased prior to the airport bombing and coup. We are originating out of SFO, and had planned spending our vacation in Turkey prior to the events. Perhaps the new US "non-essential" travel advisory to IST may help us out.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
The other thing to note is that most travel insurance requires some sort of minimum connection time for tickets purchased under separate PNRs. My company`s policy specifies 4 hours, for example. If you miss the second flight because of a delay with the first one, and it's ticketed separately, then the airline treats it as a no-show and you may have to fall back on your travel insurance's missed connection coverage. In that case, making sure the minimum is respected is a good idea.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I'm afraid that AF is not going to allow you to reroute your tickets to ATH rather than IST due to the bombs/coup. IST is back to normal long time ago and so is Turkey more or less. The events should not prevent tourists from visiting Turkey.

Your AF flight is likely to arrive at a gate at IST and you are likely to make the IST connection unless incoming flight is delayed. If you are prepared to accept rebooking your IST-ATH flight on your own dime (I assume the carrier is TK) if you don't make the connection, you could go ahead and purchase the IST-ATH tickets

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 27, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.