Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Clear ceases operations & is back [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clear ceases operations & is back [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:08 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And then there were four:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...perations.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...down-damn.html

. . . and a distant relative:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...iometrics.html
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by td_in_training
received my "we discontinued service an hour ago" email a few hours ago... this is an OUTRAGE!!

<<snip>>

If you miss a flight because of this CLEAR BS, please do your best to maximize your rebooking fees and then blame everything on your airline - especially if they comp'd your CLEAR membership at some point...

OUTRAGE
Don't blame the airline, blame yourself for drinking Steve Brill's Kool-Aid and giving your privacy pearls to swine.

PS: Good luck getting new fingerprints.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:12 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
Sunday night, I was supposed to fly JFK-TLV on Delta. The check in and TSA lines in Terminal 3 were extremely long. As far as I could see, there was no Clear or FC/Medallion lines.

I took a voluntary bump, was given an upgrade to Biz Elite for the following evening, and showed up at JFK at the exact same time. This time, I used Terminal 2, which is reserved for FC/Medallions.

There was a Clear line there, but nobody was using it. The usual TSA lines (which in Terminal 2 get only FC/Medallions) had only a few passengers. In fact, I was able to walk right to the front.

This made me think that Clear was bound to fail (at least at JFK). Anyone who uses it often enough to make it worthwhile paying for is going to have Medallion status -- and would not have to wait very long even without it.

Of course, even if enough people did sign up to make Clear profitable, it would soon mean that the Clear lines would be very long -- and that would negate any reason to continue paying for it.
Clear was well used in ATL on Monday mornings - which are the worst time in the ATL airport. It's a sad loss for the otherwise poorly run ATL airport.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Now only if the other TSA nonsense -- like that related to use of ID checks as part of supposed security checks -- also ceases.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2009 at 5:59 am
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Galla47
Just got this note from Clear:

At 11:00 p.m. PST today, Clear will cease operations. Clear's parent company, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. has been unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor to continue operations.
After today, Clear lanes will be unavailable.

I hope people are going to get their money back.
Customers won't be getting all of their customer data back even if they manage to get some or all of their money back.

To whom will customer data be sold?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:44 am

Saw this story this morning. Good grief this stinks. I know there are a lot of people who hated this program, but for being based out of MCO (Orlando) it was a Godsend. This stinks. I don't care about the money, it was the time and reduced aggravation that made it worth while (at least out of Orlando).

Oh well. Back to 1 hour waits in security some days. Where did I put my bottle of whiskey.........
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Appreciate the right to put up the running comments from the negative posters, but am just not sure who they are actually speaking with. Might be a need for two threads, one for comment and one for consumer action, because it seems like we also need some posts on some important subjects:

* Strategies for having people get their money back. Clawing back on the credit card, both prior to and after the 60-day rule.

* Seeing how the company's core security function is managed -- protecting the data, including a restart.

Several groups need to be involved:

* Travel partners that promoted the program -- Delta and AirTran locally, for example.

* TSA. There is a program for certifying and monitoring these private screening companies and presumably their oversight will need to kick into action. The integrity of the security information, for example, is an issue for the government as much as the customers.

* Landlords (airport authorities).

* Identity of the "senior creditor" involved in this latest action with Clear. Hopefully, they are a going concern that has a responsibility to, at the least, have the shutdown occur smoothly.

* The role of the Privacy Ombudsman for CLEAR, who is a "Law Professor" named Paul Schwartz. Contact information for him.

*Clear's officers and their actions.

The role of all of the above parties to monitor that in some way that the company had a cashflow adequate for some period of forward operations is going to be an important issue.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seminole_kev
Saw this story this morning. Good grief this stinks. I know there are a lot of people who hated this program, but for being based out of MCO (Orlando) it was a Godsend. This stinks. I don't care about the money, it was the time and reduced aggravation that made it worth while (at least out of Orlando).

Oh well. Back to 1 hour waits in security some days. Where did I put my bottle of whiskey.........
Have you considered complaining to your Congressperson in the US House of Representatives and to your two US Senators about the situation out of MCO? They can help put pressure on the TSA to stop with the foolishness consumes passengers' time and produces aggravation when it comes to the security screening at the airport.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:05 am

I googled "Paul Schwartz privacy expert law professor." I will call the professor listed at Berkeley today and let you know what happens.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Plat
I'm also based out of MCO and I can't begin to tell you how bad this is! Delta, PLEASE put up a Medallion line in Orlando!!!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I have to say this is quite sad. I know many people flamed me when I talked about clear being good, but I still stand by it.

As someone who leaves for work every Sunday, it gave me an extra hour with my family each week. The lines at DEN can be quite long, even the frequent flier line can take 45 minutes or more during heavy travel times.

I am fortunate as I didn't renew yet, and only lost out on 4 months. But I feel really badly for those who paid to renew recently. Especially the poster who paid for two 3 year extensions.

Clear, you will be missed.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Justin026
Appreciate the right to put up the running comments from the negative posters, but am just not sure who they are actually speaking with. Might be a need for two threads, one for comment and one for consumer action, because it seems like we also need some posts on some important subjects:

* Strategies for having people get their money back. Clawing back on the credit card, both prior to and after the 60-day rule.

* Seeing how the company's core security function is managed -- protecting the data, including a restart.

Several groups need to be involved:

* Travel partners that promoted the program -- Delta and AirTran locally, for example.

* TSA. There is a program for certifying and monitoring these private screening companies and presumably their oversight will need to kick into action. The integrity of the security information, for example, is an issue for the government as much as the customers.

* Landlords (airport authorities).

* Identity of the "senior creditor" involved in this latest action with Clear. Hopefully, they are a going concern that has a responsibility to, at the least, have the shutdown occur smoothly.

* The role of the Privacy Ombudsman for CLEAR, who is a "Law Professor" named Paul Schwartz. Contact information for him.

*Clear's officers and their actions.

The role of all of the above parties to monitor that in some way that the company had a cashflow adequate for some period of forward operations is going to be an important issue.
These are all issues that you should have raised before being parted with your money and your personal information. @:-)

People should have been howling for TSA's blood, instead of handing over their money and their personal information.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Unhappy Very Sad Day for Clear--Cease Operations

I really hate banks, Clear was a great company that had real need. Here in Orlando, Clear was a much enjoyed option, to the normal TSA process. I don't understand why the banks rather kill such an innovative business, rather than allow it to grow and prosper. Truly a sad day for all!!

Clear to Cease Operations
Dear George,

At 11:00 p.m. PST today, Clear will cease operations. Clear's parent company, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. has been unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor to continue operations.

After today, Clear lanes will be unavailable.

Sincerely,
Clear Customer Support
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
These are all issues that you should have raised before being parted with your money and your personal information. @:-)

People should have been howling for TSA's blood, instead of handing over their money and their personal information.
Read it in various posts above. Blood, swine and the kool-aid. Got it. Get it.

Now, do you like my list of next steps?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:51 am

see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ns-merged.html in TS&S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.