Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Clear ceases operations & is back [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clear ceases operations & is back [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:49 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Seems so sudden. I've always felt uncomfortable about this program but bit the bullet and signed on to save time. It certainly did help sometimes. However, I do not like that we had to give all of our personal information to this company. Shady.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Delta Platnium
Clear to Cease Operations

Just got this note from Clear:

At 11:00 p.m. PST today, Clear will cease operations. Clear's parent company, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. has been unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor to continue operations.
After today, Clear lanes will be unavailable.

I hope people are going to get their money back.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SWG Plat
I was a big fan of Clear. Definitely very sad to see this news. It saved my hide at least a few times when I was cutting a flight very close.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Walked past a group of Clear sales personnel in JFK today and let them know their company had just ceased operations. They laughed at first cause they thought I was joking, then stopped slowly, realizing I was being serious.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by jrothenb
However, I do not like that we had to give all of our personal information to this company. Shady.
Curious. What information did you have to give that company? Did it include fingerprints?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Didnt get a chance to use it, but sucks for all that lost $ on it.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:21 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow in our Travel Safety/Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Curious. What information did you have to give that company? Did it include fingerprints?
Yes.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SWG Plat
Originally Posted by Herb687
Confirms my suspicions about why turning over lots of personal data to a private company was a bad idea all along.
Yep. It sure is obvious now that they've sold all that info to third parties and stolen everyone's identities. Oh, wait, that didn't happen.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Good riddance to the Clear lanes. Not because they weren't time-savers, but BECAUSE they were.

The absurdist theater that is the TSA won't change without sustained pressure from those in positions of influence. Anything that insulates those influential elites from the pain and frustration of TSA's boorishly incompetent 'service' will only slow the pace of change.

To use a fitting analogy, given how the TSA treats travelers: think of how much more humane and well managed our prison system would be if members of the influential class had the same incarceration rate as the underclass.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Gee, all Clear enrollees' personal data will be destroyed... when?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by aviators99
Yes.
That is tough. Hope you can follow up and get it erased...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Exclamation FOR SALE: Clear Pax Private Data & Biometrics

While it is doubtful that failed publisher and privacy rapist Steve Brill will be taking-out a Craigslist ad with the above headline, it is only a matter of time before all of the personal data provided by a few deluded rubes to Clear is sold (and resold, and resold) off to whomever is willing to pay for the information.

You can change a lot of things if your identity is exploited: fingerprints are not on that list.

So, who will buy the data? Axciom? ChoicePoint? Scientology? Place your bets!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA G
FYI, a list of other registered traveler companies is here... http://www.rtconsortium.org/ApprovedVendors.cfm
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
CLEAR was a great idea with good intent, however, they too had to deal with the stupid asshats at TSA HQ too and were bound to fail. If they could have made their members immune from the shoe carnival and liquid paranoia it might have been more successful.

I refused to use them for a variety of reasons, and I'm now even more glad I never gave them a dime or my personal info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.