Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry / SENTRI Vehicle Registration [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry / SENTRI Vehicle Registration [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Question Global Entry / SENTRI Vehicle Registration [merged threads]

Noticed a new message on the GOES webpage. Starting 11/17/15, vehicle inspections are no longer for SENTRI members to register a vehicle, but the vehicle must still be registered with CBP.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
No word yet on what impact this has on the $42 fee. Presumably, it will become cheaper to register a vehicle now.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:54 pm

Question SENTRI (USA-Mexico border)

If I'm a GE member, and want to use the SENTRI/RFID lanes at Otay Mesa or San Ysidro to enter the USA, do I simply pay the $42 SENTRI fee and register my car online?

Put another way, is there any need (or benefit) to me to "join" SENTRI, since I'm already a Global Entry member?

I'm guessing that by applying and thereby "joining" SENTRI now, it's simply a $42 euphemism tat means "registering my car with the CBP folks."
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov

Vehicle Inspection No Longer Required

Posted on November 17, 2015

Effective November 17, 2015, a vehicle inspection will no longer be required to register a vehicle for use in the SENTRI lanes. A Vehicle Enrollment application must still be submitted via your GOES account and the vehicle must be approved prior to use in the lanes. Applicants and members affected by this change will be receiving an email notification with additional details. If you have a pending vehicle application, please do not attempt to schedule a vehicle inspection after November 17, 2015.
Log in to GOES and go to Manage Membership --> U.S. Programs --> Add Vehicle and put in the details. There should be no inspection, but approval is not instant. If it charges you a fee for doing this, than that's the fee.

(GE includes SENTRI, so a member of GE cannot apply for SENTRI as he or she is already a member of SENTRI. You will notice this in your GOES account.)
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:44 pm

Question

What about a NEXUS member? Does the same apply? In other words, can a NEXUS member apply for SENTRI? Or is it like GE, that all NEXUS members are automatically SENTRI members?

(SENTRI-registered cars notwithstanding)
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NEXUS includes GE and SENTRI. (So a NEXUS member cannot apply for SENTRI).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by IAATM
What about a NEXUS member? Does the same apply? In other words, can a NEXUS member apply for SENTRI? Or is it like GE, that all NEXUS members are automatically SENTRI members?

(SENTRI-registered cars notwithstanding)
NEXUS membership now includes SENTRI privileges, as another poster had noted. So you cannot (and don't need to) apply separately. You do, however, have to register your car with SENTRI, for which there is a fee. This is done through GOES.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:37 am

i have a slightly different question about sentri. is sentri like nexus that goes both ways or is sentri only for entrance to the states?

slightly off topic: also, if i'm a ge member i know i can use nexus lanes coming IN to the states, but what about coming in to canada? do i have to separately apply for nexus to be able to use nexus lanes into canada?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:15 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by WastedInMargaritaville
i have a slightly different question about sentri. is sentri like nexus that goes both ways or is sentri only for entrance to the states?
AFAIK there are no checks of any type when driving from the US to Mexico. You just drive right in. I've heard that they are starting to introduce checks on people walking across the border at San Ysidro, but I'm not sure how widespread that is. Entry into Mexico is typically fast, so a trusted traveler program would make little difference.

Originally Posted by WastedInMargaritaville
slightly off topic: also, if i'm a ge member i know i can use nexus lanes coming IN to the states, but what about coming in to canada? do i have to separately apply for nexus to be able to use nexus lanes into canada?
Yes, I believe you do. Sentri is a US program, and Nexus is a joint US-Canada program. Canada will want to vet you before giving you expedited treatment into their country.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I've heard that they are starting to introduce checks on people walking across the border at San Ysidro,
I've never driven in, but for walking in at San Ysidro, yes, there is no longer a one-way turnstile guarded by a sleepy immigration agent. It is now a proper building with Mexican Immigrations and Customs desks, and you have to at least fill out an entry form and get a "why are you here and for how long?" type interview when entering Mexico.

The Passport Card is suitable for that entry into Mexico, and your GE card on the way back gets you into the expedited SENTRI pedestrian lanes on the way back into the US.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:31 pm

Does anyone know if a car registered to one SENTRI member as the primary driver is available to be driven along by another SENTRI member in my immediate family? Example: both cars registered under my name, can my wife drive the vehicle through the SENTRI lane with me in the car?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by freakdog
Does anyone know if a car registered to one SENTRI member as the primary driver is available to be driven along by another SENTRI member in my immediate family? Example: both cars registered under my name, can my wife drive the vehicle through the SENTRI lane with me in the car?
From the CBP website:
Verify and Update Vehicle License Plate Information for SENTRI Members

If your vehicle is already registered under one family member's name currently enrolled in SENTRI, you do not have to re-register your vehicle under your name.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:57 pm

So does that mean they know who is related in my family and as long as it is a family member driving it it's ok? Even if I am not in the car?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
But wait I got EZPass (or whatever its called) and SENTRI free with my GE, is that not normal?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:42 pm

SENTRI

I also entered my vehicle information in the GE application since SENTRI is free if you get it at the same time as GE. This is what's in my Conditional Approval letter:

If your application includes a vehicle for use in the SENTRI lanes, you are no longer required to have the vehicle inspected. For initial applications or renewal applications, you will still need to schedule an enrollment interview at the Enrollment Center. For vehicle add applications, you will receive an updated notice when your application has been approved. Once approved, you can use the vehicle in the SENTRI lanes.
While not technically a "document", you don't need to bring your car with you to the enrollment center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.