Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Just received an email about a new fingerprint scanner to be installed at all kiosks starting June 9th: http://www.cbp.gov:80/xp/cgov/travel...sk_scanner.xml
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:15 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by wilp888
Just received an email about a new fingerprint scanner to be installed at all kiosks starting June 9th: http://www.cbp.gov:80/xp/cgov/travel...sk_scanner.xml
I received the same email:
Global Entry member: The fingerprint reader on the Global Entry kiosks will be changed to an upgraded technologystarting on June 9, 2009. Instead of providing your right index and left index prints, youwill now be required to provide the four (4) fingers of your right hand or left hand (no thumb). To see a picture of the new fingerprint reader and how the kiosk screen will appear duringthe fingerprint verification, please go tohttp://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/global_entry/kiosk_scanner.xml
Ciao,
FH
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I got the same email!

Presumably the 4-finger printing is for enhanced identity protection?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Just got my Global Entry approval tonight based upon an earlier enrollment in SENTRI. Of course since this last approval was totally a web transaction I have no sticker for the PP. The office is a long drive away, so am I missing anything by not getting the sticker?
Does anyone care?
If I had not read this thread, I would not have even known there was a sticker as my approval letter says nothing about it.
Worth the drive??.....
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzpilot
Just got my Global Entry approval tonight based upon an earlier enrollment in SENTRI. Of course since this last approval was totally a web transaction I have no sticker for the PP. The office is a long drive away, so am I missing anything by not getting the sticker?
Does anyone care?
If I had not read this thread, I would not have even known there was a sticker as my approval letter says nothing about it.
Worth the drive??.....

No, don't worry about it. Just pick one up the next time you happen to find yourself at an airport that has an enrollment office. The sticker is not required for using the kiosks, but it can be helpful as proof that you are eligible to use the crew line if the kiosks are not functioning, or at airports that lack kiosks.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:38 am

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Regarding the new fingerprint scanning, I seem to remember in the back of my mind that I gave multiple prints when I went for the interview, but I'm not sure. Anyone remember what they gave? Here's to hoping I don't have to deal with a rescan...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 1:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by uavking
Regarding the new fingerprint scanning, I seem to remember in the back of my mind that I gave multiple prints when I went for the interview, but I'm not sure. Anyone remember what they gave?
I had all 10 fingerprints taken. Each was given a quality score. I don't fingerprint well, so I had to go back a second time before they got an acceptable set. I'm hopeful that 4 fingerprints on one hand will be easier than each index finger. I don't think I've gotten an acceptable score on my left index finger yet.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ESpen36
No, don't worry about it. Just pick one up the next time you happen to find yourself at an airport that has an enrollment office. The sticker is not required for using the kiosks, but it can be helpful as proof that you are eligible to use the crew line if the kiosks are not functioning, or at airports that lack kiosks.
Is the ability to use the crew line in airports without kiosks an official benefit of Global Entry? I don't recall seeing it anywhere...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Tks! Great idea on picking up a sticker at an enrollment airport. For my travel patterns it means ORD or LAX. I actually use IAD a bit more, but I can't tell from the address if it is easily accessible by an in-transit traveler. Anyone know? The list of GE enrollment centers is HERE.

Originally Posted by meducate
Is the ability to use the crew line in airports without kiosks an official benefit of Global Entry? I don't recall seeing it anywhere...
I did not see the "crew line" listed as a stated bene, but reality is that is generally where the machines are located and the signage to the machine at present shares the crew line at some locations. As GE registration becomes more popular, I see a time coming where there will be more machines and a separate line just for GE, but with the program in its infancy, that's a long time coming. Unless the US gov someday requires enrollment as a requirement IOT even get a US PP....
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzpilot
I did not see the "crew line" listed as a stated bene, but reality is that is generally where the machines are located and the signage to the machine at present shares the crew line at some locations. As GE registration becomes more popular, I see a time coming where there will be more machines and a separate line just for GE, but with the program in its infancy, that's a long time coming. Unless the US gov someday requires enrollment as a requirement IOT even get a US PP....

Well, I don't see anything in the documentation, but when I spoke to the officer when I picked up my sticker, he said "if the machines aren't working, just go to the nearest booth, no need to stand in line." And the kiosks are often right next to the crew line.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Another less than one minute entry through the kiosk at LAX yesterday. ^
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I got approved last night. All done within 1 week, including interview at lax. If I had gone down for an interview earlier, it would have been quicker. Pretty quick if anyone is looking to do it.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
If someone use the new scanners let us know how they worked.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by milepig
Just an update on my application. I'm at the 2 weeks plus point, and my status is still "pending review". They had no problem charging my CC the $100, however.
Further update: My approval came through at the 3 week point. I suspect the slowdown was causted by the joint request for Privium as well, since the confirmation letter goes into great detail about how to schedule the appointment at Schiphol (also a 30 day requirement to schedule). I'll do the US part at ORD in the next few days, and then figure out Privium, I might need to let that part pass since I don't a trip scheduled in the immediate future.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Latest use was yesterday at JFK, where in the early afternoon there were humongous lines at Immigration for both US Citizens and Visitors. Two great interactions with CBP folks:

1. As I walked through the hall heading for the kiosks I passed a CBP officer who asked where I was going. I said "Happily towards the Global Entry kiosks." He smiled and said to me: "Nice move!"

2. After my quick interaction with the kiosk I handed my printout the the CBP officer at Customs. He said "No, no, I need this form (pointing to the standard blue form)." I said "I know, but this one is from the Global Entry kiosk." He too smiled and said "Sorry, I just don't see enough of them." He then turned to his colleagues colleagues and said "Wow...we never see any of these..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.