Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by EqualOpp

Actually...I had the precursor to GE in the late 1990s.....forget the name of that program.
PortPass which was preceded by INSPass.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by Landing Gear

PortPass sounds semi-vaguely familiar. INSPass rings no bells. Wonder if I have my old PortPass card somewhere...maybe I trashed it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
GE was preceded by USPASS, while USPASS was preceded by INSPASS.

PortPASS included USPASS/INSPASS, SENTRI and OARS amongst other programs.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 20, 2019 at 3:42 am
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Yay! Just got my Global Entry card. Thanks Chase IHG card!

Now...I wish I had Nexus - then I could easily drive across the border to Canada. Last time I was stuck in line for an hour or something like that, maybe worse. Maybe someday I will pony up the $50 and time to do that. Don't go often enough to Canada to do that yet. At least I can get back in the USA fast - though last time there was no line.

Actually...I had the precursor to GE in the late 1990s.....forget the name of that program.
Just to point out, Nexus includes GE. It would only be $50 instead of $100, but you'd still get GE privileges.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just to point out, Nexus includes GE. It would only be $50 instead of $100, but you'd still get GE privileges.
Then why would anyone buy GE?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes, although credit cards that reimburse the $100 GE cost do not reimburse the $50 NEXUS cost. Go figure.

Originally Posted by Starman
Then why would anyone buy GE?
Primarily because it's more hassle to get NEXUS. You have to do an interview at a joint NEXUS/GE enrollment center, which are along the US-Canada border (e.g., Seattle, Toronto).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AA, Delta
Originally Posted by entropy
Just got my final approval for Nexus yesterday, they told me the card will arrive in 10 days.

now, how do you go about getting GE for free?
How long did it take for your application to be processed? The TTP website is saying 12-14 months!?!?? Did it really take that long?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Fredstone
How long did it take for your application to be processed? The TTP website is saying 12-14 months!?!?? Did it really take that long?
lol that was 13 years ago!

its way worse now.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
A recent traveler arriving at LIS claims on a FB post that there was sign leading folks to a special line at EU passport control saying "GLOBAL ENTRY."
Of course no photos and nothing to back up the claims but a declaration that GE is now ready for use at the EU border, at least in LIS.
I know this can't be true but just asking folks on here - could he be right, am I the one going crazy? Or was he just mistaken, and if so, how could he have seen a GE sign in Lisbon?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mrkymark
A recent traveler arriving at LIS claims on a FB post that there was sign leading folks to a special line at EU passport control saying "GLOBAL ENTRY."
There were (are?) some benefits that other countries extended to Global Entry program members. For instance, before SmartGate in Australia was available to all US passport holders with an ETA, you had to have GE. I've not been to New Zealand, but I read they were letting US passport holders with GE use a special lane at AKL.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Majuki
There were (are?) some benefits that other countries extended to Global Entry program members. For instance, before SmartGate in Australia was available to all US passport holders with an ETA, you had to have GE. I've not been to New Zealand, but I read they were letting US passport holders with GE use a special lane at AKL.
Back when I went thru AKL in 2016 it was a stated benefit, but I never saw any line marked for GE. Just ended up using the automated gates
Majuki likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.